No announcement yet.

AU 602: Team Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The naming convention does not matter, so long as the same convention is kept for the whole length of the game.

With one exception. Between the years 975 BC and 990 AD, place a "0" (zero) infront of the year, so that the date becomes 0975 BC. This keeps the saves in chronlogical order.
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Krill
      The naming convention does not matter, so long as the same convention is kept for the whole length of the game.

With one exception. Between the years 975 BC and 990 AD, place a "0" (zero) infront of the year, so that the date becomes 0975 BC. This keeps the saves in chronlogical order.
      If you use windowsFileBox=1, it does that for you anyway.
      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

• Putting the ad/bc in front of the date keeps things more organized too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Inverse Icarus
          If you use windowsFileBox=1, it does that for you anyway.
          Bleh, the Firaxis default filebox is more convenient for finding and editing file savenames...

I don't think the letter code on the end of the file name would be much help. I put "ToXYZ" on all of mine, where XYZ is an abbreviation of the player I'm sending to, so this keeps track of if the save is coming or going too...
          Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rommel2D

Bleh, the Firaxis default filebox is more convenient for finding and editing file savenames...
            How the hell do you figure that? It sorts them out of order, is tiny, only shows a small number of files at once, and I don't see how it can be any easier to rename a file with it.
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

• save. right now, its AU602-LA4-yearXXy.SAV
              I feel that that is acceptable to me, although I shall leave it up to the concensus of the community. I am simply eager to get the game going, and never stopped to think of this, so I am grateful that you all know what your doing.

Comment

The naming convention does not matter, so long as the same convention is kept for the whole length of the game.
                Yep.

Originally posted by Krill
                Agreed. I do this myself and edit it in for any saves that don't come to me that way; things get unorganized real fast without it.

Originally posted by Aeson
                Putting the ad/bc in front of the date keeps things more organized too.

I've recently begun adding this to my naming format for any new PBEMs.

Comment

• How the hell do you figure that? It sorts them out of order, is tiny, only shows a small number of files at once, and I don't see how it can be any easier to rename a file with it.
                  I don't know if you've ever noticed, but the cursor selection algorithm highlights a whole digit without needing a click-and-drag. By going to a previous save (4 or 8 turns ago), a single click and a single keystroke is all that's needed to rename the file. I even find in some of my games that the filebox pops up with with the correct older save selected each turn (although it doesn't do it for some others ).

When I'm busy and find 4 or 5 saves waiting for me, I sure appreciate how smooth the default window works- just as long as the sending player uses the same format each turn.

Sub-folders for games are a big help in general. I also delete old saves once or twice a month. Only takes a minute and saves HD space...
                  Last edited by Rommel2D; April 11, 2005, 00:34.

Comment

Y2K is back! I hope all those twinkies in my bunker are still good...

Comment

• the name of the game file was only a suggestion, just to help keep things organized. i really don't care how it's named (and putting AD/BC 1st is an excellant idea ), as long as the other 5 people in my game can agree on a format and we stick to it. the reason it came up was because the file i got was named as follows:
                      "Xerxes de Persians, 3950 a[1].C.SAV"
                      If I downloaded that to the wrong file folder, I would have a hard time finding it

Sub-folders for games is a big help in general. I also delete old saves once or twice a month. Only takes a minute and saves HD space...
                      oh, definitely agree, though I hold on to my pbem saves till the end of the game.
                      Team CDZ

Comment

I don't know if you've ever noticed, but the cursor selection algorithm highlights a whole digit without needing a click-and-drag. By going to a previous save (4 or 8 turns ago), a single click and a single keystroke is all that's needed to rename the file.
                        I've noticed that too, though I never gave it too much thought except to think that it was pretty convenient

I also delete old saves once or twice a month. Only takes a minute and saves HD space...
                        I went through my save folder yesterday as it happens, and deleted some 4,000 save files, all of which were from PBEM games! Won myself back 500Mb in the process
                        So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
                        Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

I hope all those twinkies in my bunker are still good...
                          Would you like to rephrase that?

Comment

• Originally posted by Aqualung71
                            I've noticed that too, though I never gave it too much thought except to think that it was pretty convenient
                            Especially convenient considering how, if you click-n-drag the wrong characters in a Windows filebox, the next click highlights the current word and the next after that highlights the whole filename, at which point I usually get up and walk around the house telling myself how little it would help to stick an optical mouse up Gates's expansion slot to see if it gets a reading...

[and Aqua deserves to be inflicted with such imagery for dragging down the conversation in the first place. ]

Comment

...stick an optical mouse up Gates's expansion slot...
                              The evidence continues to mount

Comment

• BigDork:

It appears you are right before me in the turn rotation for our game. I've PM'd you my e-mail addy thru the Poly site.

Good luck all!
                                "Got the rock from Detroit, soul from Motown"
                                - Kid Rock "American Badass"

Comment

Working...
                                X