Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AU Mod - Lurkers query - how does it play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AU Mod - Lurkers query - how does it play?

Wow. I haven't been over to Apolyton in quite a while (years), but low and behold, I see AU still going strong. I remember reading about this mod a few years ago. I've read through many of the posts here and have been impressed with the organization and thought that has gone into this mod now. But nowhere here can I find any information on how it really plays.

Does the AU Mod achieve the goal of making the AI compete more adequately?

Does using the AU mod have an effect on a players skill level, ie, does it play harder, easier, or just somewhat different?

Time is scarce for an older player such as myself, but one of these days, I'll give this mod a whirl to see for myself, but I was hoping for some general opinions. With limited time to play civ (a game which, as you all know, takes an inordinate amount of time commitment), knowing what you are getting into helps to make the decision of whether to try something new. Tournaments such as the AU lessons or even the GOTMs sponsered at CFC or at Realms Beyond are just not feasible when time is an issue. But a SG on the other hand...

I know I saw a thread here concerned with how best to spread the word about the AU Mod. I just can't seem to find it tonight. Have y'all thought about starting some SG games over at CFC using this MOD to help expose it to a wider audience? I know AU has found a small, but loyal home here at Apolyton, but since SGs aren't really supported here, I would think such exposure could only help with the growth of this mod. Plus, it seems the perfect mod to use in an SG, since no one needs to install anything to use it beyond using the save file. Just a thought.

Anyhow, thanks for any input you have. I know its pretty much going to come down to try it out for myself and I don't really expect any truly unbiased opinions here (heck, I posting in the AU forum ), but any thoughts are appreciated. I'll stop rambling now.

Re: AU Mod - Lurkers query - how does it play?

Originally posted by spikeIt
    Wow. I haven't been over to Apolyton in quite a while (years), but low and behold, I see AU still going strong. I remember reading about this mod a few years ago. I've read through many of the posts here and have been impressed with the organization and thought that has gone into this mod now. But nowhere here can I find any information on how it really plays.
    This thread has all the changes on the second and subsequent posts.

Does the AU Mod achieve the goal of making the AI compete more adequately?
    Yes, definitely. Mst importantly, in my mind, the 'build often' changes and 'preferred government' changes have the greatest direct effect on the AI.

Does using the AU mod have an effect on a players skill level, ie, does it play harder, easier, or just somewhat different?
    It plays somewhat more difficultly, I find. I normally play stock demi or deity, and AU emperor.
    "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
    -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Thanks punkbass2000. I did see the actual rule changes thread, but thanks again. That thread addresses the what of the changes, but not the realized impacts of the changes so much. I would guess most of this information is spread as feedback within many of the DARs. Its just not easily accessible.

Thanks for your thoughts on the leveling of the changes. I'll definitely have to try this mod out, just maybe a level lower than I normally play.

Comment

Originally posted by spikeIt
        Thanks punkbass2000. I did see the actual rule changes thread, but thanks again. That thread addresses the what of the changes, but not the realized impacts of the changes so much. I would guess most of this information is spread as feedback within many of the DARs. Its just not easily accessible.
        True. I haven't played stock in over a year, really, so I'm probably not the best judge of this. IIRC, Arrian is playing his first AU mod game in the current course, so he may be the best one to ask about how it plays differently.
        "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
        -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

I've played the AU mod once prior to this - in a succession game that we never finished (it was actually hosted over at MZO). That was a while ago.

I typically play stock rules, Monarch. So I fired up this AU game with the Mod, also on Monarch.

It definitely plays a touch harder, and I was pleasantly surprised to see the AI research MUCH better (they actually researched Literature in the ancient age - unheard of in my stock rules games). I also faced the toughest AI neighbor I've seen in a long while, although that was at least partially due to the SGL they got and used on the Pyramids (1525bc). Still, that alone does not explain the veritable HORDE of swordsmen they put together and annoyed me with.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
          X