No announcement yet.

AU 504 Glory of Culture Pre-game Strategy Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But Toronto is arguably not even a part of Canada!!
    And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Certainly, both sides agree completely on that question.
      Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by lockstep
        Furthermore (and this is what I was trying to say before), if the AI manages to recapture the city, not only will all cultural improvements be gone (naturally), but any wonders (built by this AI) whose culture per turn had already doubled before will now produce only their initial amount of culture per turn. (And yes, I'm quite aware that capturing an AI wonder city that your're not likely to hold is one of the most obvious reasons for city razing.)
        Interestingly, the cultural borders of a city an AI re-captures pop right back to their previous extent.
        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

That's because the city regains its former cultural score, although with all cultural improvements gone (except the wonders), will not add new culture per turn.
          So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
          Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

Sweet, a 4 turn settler pump...oh the power...but a little bit too much food to handle with only one worker, so another worker is required asap.
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Aqualung71
              And that's actually quite a frustrating start position IMHO. IS that water a lake or coast? If lake, settling on the start spot will be ok. If coast, it would be a bad idea. Should we potentially waste a couple of worker turns by checking it out, or should we assume it's coast and either move further inland or towards the coast?
              Even if it's a coast, you do not want to waste time when the tiles you have immediate access to are so good. Wheat Flood Plains wants to be irrigated right away! The capital has at least 12 workable tiles without having to look to Coast without a Harbor. And there's at least two visible tiles that you can put your second city on in case you want an early Curragh.
              And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Originally posted by lockstep

Furthermore (and this is what I was trying to say before), if the AI manages to recapture the city, not only will all cultural improvements be gone (naturally), but any wonders (built by this AI) whose culture per turn had already doubled before will now produce only their initial amount of culture per turn.
                NO, as I've already posted, Wonders that double retain their duobled status. I just rechecked this before my last post. Unless you're implying it's different for the Ai than for humans.
                "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
                -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Here I have the ToA, which has doubled. I then give it Korea, and take it back. Still doubled.
                  "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"

Comment

Sorry, the screenshot:
                    Attached Files

Comment

So.....what to research first? Pottery? Or go straight for Writing and the Philosophy play?

And do we build a Temple first to get our quest for Culture off to a good start, or a Warrior for scouting and making contacts for tech trading?

So many strategy decisions to make within a context that I haven't played before.....fascinating game!
                      Last edited by Aqualung71; September 20, 2004, 05:17.
                      So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
                      Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

Working...
                      X