No announcement yet.

What Level do you Play at?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason there are not more Chieftain/Warlord players in the AU is that once they get to 'Poly, they "graduate" up to at least Regent pretty fast. It's true that just reading these forums improves one's gameplay immediately. So it's not surprising that most AU players at at least at Regent level.

In order attract more Chieftan-level players to AU, you would basically have to attract more Chieftain-level players to Apolyton as a whole.
    And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

I play Emperor, Demigod, Deity, and Sid all about the same amount.

Comment

I play Emperor almost exclusively now, though for certain AU-503s, I may have to drop back down to Monarch
        I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

I voted Emperor because from anything resembling a random start, that's the most enjoyable fit for me. But with C3C, in non-AU games, what I really do more often is play on Demigod from a combination of civ and starting position that is unusually advantageous.

Nathan

Comment

I play both Emperor and Demigod, but am still learning to cope with Demigod. Emperor is where I am most comfortable, so that's what I nominated. If I am starting a normal game, I will generally choose Demigod with everything random to try to improve my skills, but I'm not playing all that much at the moment.
            So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
            Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

I play Emperor for a challenge and Monarch for fun.
              "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
              "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
              "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Monarch remains fun. I’ve tried Emperor. No fun. Got worked. A move up would require mastering micromanagement to a greater degree.
                "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

The reason there are not more Chieftain/Warlord players in the AU is that once they get to 'Poly, they "graduate" up to at least Regent pretty fast. It's true that just reading these forums improves one's gameplay immediately. So it's not surprising that most AU players at at least at Regent level.
                  I agree with Dominae. I came to poly about a year ago as a sub-par Regent player and have read through many threads both here and in the Strat forum. After only a dozen or so full games I'm beating Monarch and keeping up on Emperor. The initial learning curve is low, but I'm finding that the higher levels require much more practice and knowledge, as well as in depth game analysis (what I hope to get from AU in the future). That's where AU comes in. If all I want to do is bone up on city placement, the strat forum's the place. But understanding things like city placement and settler pumps only gets you so far. My lurking in the AU forum has helped me better understand MM as well as diplomacy among other things.

Sorry if I strayed off topic a bit, but I felt I had to voice my thanks to AU.
                  "These rocks, he thought, are here for me; waiting for the drill, the dynamite and my voice; waiting to be split, ripped, pounded, reborn; waiting for the shape my hands will give them". -Ayn Rand , The Fountainhead

Comment

Play some courses, post a bit, and you can learn even more

Comment

Emperor and Demigod. Sid is just for showing off...
                      The Mountain Sage of the Swiss Alps

Comment

Monarch

I like to drink beer and while I play. So I make a lot of bad decisions and hurry through the micromanaging. I call it "sloppy" but its fun. On Emperor I find myself stopping to think. I don't want to think I do enough of that at work. I just want to enjoy the 2 to 3 hours a week of free time I have.

Comment

I prefer to be challenged by the AI, so I picked Demigod. the generally do not win. I do not micromanage enough and my mid-game strategy is flawed...not agressive enough.

If I'm hard up for a win to stroke my ego, I drop to Emperor.

Comment

I used to play Warlord. Read a bit of the forums and changed to Monarch, I haven't yet finished a game but I'm keeping up with it. Even though my game is full of bad decisions and very lame micromanaging I do feel howerver that I'm able to compete with the AI. At least while I don't get to the modern age. Picked Monarch because i'm up to it and because blowing or not my brains out, i'm winning the AI and sticking to it
                            " He who does not see, may have no eyes to begin with".

Comment

Monarch. It's not really a challenge anymore but still good fun. I mostly end my games some time in the middle age when I'm so far ahead that the game just gets boring.

I am moving up to emperor now, but run into the usual problem of too little play time(demogames and PBEMs gets priority)

OT: Ever noticed how human opponents can vary from being 21st century Napoleons to playing much, much worse than a chieftan level AI?
                              Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Working...
                              X