AU 502 Teaser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AU 502 Teaser

Alright folks. By popular demand, here's a bit of information for AU502: Celtic Power - Swords and Ploughshares. The alternate title was "AU502: No 4-turn Pump for You!".

The Celts are, arguably, the best Civ in Conquests. The combination of a fast-mover swordsmen with their growth-friendly traits work extremely well together...
    ...but are they too strong?

Hopefully, that's what we're going to find out!
    With carefully chosen foes and a few minor machinations, I haven't quite stacked the deck, but I may have leaned a bit here and there.

Are the Gallic Swordsmen at a cost of 40 shields, and by extension the Celts as an Agricultural tribe, too good? What sort of AI is capable of grappling with this beast?

---------

This is a Standard Sized map, middle-of-the-road settings in general. All normal victory conditions are enabled.

Tribe: Celts
    Leader: Brennus(chicks dig tatoos, and he's really up front about his)
    Traits: Agricultural and Religious
    Starting Techs: Pottery and Ceremonial burial
    Unique Unit: Gallic Swordsman

Agricultural: Agricultural city improvements(aqueducts for example) are easier to build and the center city square and irrigated deserts produce one extra food. If you found a town on fresh water(rivers and lakes), you get the bonus even under Despotism.

Religious: We all know about Religious.

Gallic Swordsman:
    1. Replaces Swordsman, upgrades to Medieval Infantry(Would you want to?)
    2. Stats: 3/2/2
    3. Cost: 40 shields
    4. Tech: Ironworking
    5. Requires: Iron
    6. Special: Checkerboard pants. Offsets the cool facial tatoo.

This is my first AU Course from behind the lectern. I never did like public speaking. If I'm unclear on something or seem to not makes sense, let me know.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ducki; March 12, 2004, 11:53.
    "Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Bring it on. I haven't played the Celts in quite a while and not in C3C at all yet.

BTW, where are the cattle?

Comment

Mad cow disease, don't ya' know?
      "Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Comment

Quick procedural question...

Ok, I'm pretty sure this was covered in your teaser for the teaser thread. We *are* waiting for the latest AU mod votes to finish, but is the course going to use this new 1.20 patch or are we going to stick to the 1.15b (tried and tested) patch for now?

Where are my cows!
        Drive your cart and your plow over the bones of the dead. -William Blake

Comment

We are, indeed waiting for a new release of the mod - shouldn't take too long for the votes. Then once alexman releases the mod, I can import it into the map and create the modded save files.

Message from the cows: Eet mor chikin

Comment

Ducks, you're a champion! I haven't played the Celts for ages, but I love them! Standard map - standard number of foes, or have you tweaked it up or down?

And by giving us a religious civ, it seems you're intentionally giving us the option to play various different goverments at different times during the game. Could provide some good yardsticks to help clarify some of the issues we've been debating lately - good move.
            So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
            Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

Celts are the Civ that I play the most. They have my two favorite traits and I can say even before playing this game that I do indeed find them to be overpowered, in both single player and multi player.

Comment

Originally posted by ducki
                We are, indeed waiting for a new release of the mod - shouldn't take too long for the votes. Then once alexman releases the mod, I can import it into the map and create the modded save files.

Chicken? Bah!

Sorry about not being clearer in my first post. From your previous thread on this AU (and this thread) I kind of assumed we'd be waiting for the new AU mod. What I was really after was info on the 1.20 patch from Atari which is talked about a bit in this thread in the Conquests forum. I'm *supposed* to be writing two papers this evening, so I haven't had a chance to compare the change list for the 1.2 and 1.15 Beta patch yet, but from the comments so far, it seems that the 1.20 patch doesn't include any huge changes...

...Must hide C3C CD for the night! Must write paper!
                Drive your cart and your plow over the bones of the dead. -William Blake

Comment

Sounds like you have been to Chick Fillet. Not sure how they spell it.

Comment

Re: AU 502 Teaser

This is a Standard Sized map, middle-of-the-road settings in general. All normal victory conditions are enabled.
                    I would appreciate a clarification regarding the barbarian setting, if you don't mind.

Agricultural: Agricultural city improvements(aqueducts for example) are easier to build and the center city square and irrigated deserts produce one extra food. If you found a town on a river, you get the bonus even under Despotism.
                    And it looks like you gave us a fair amount of river to work with. That should make for a decent REX even without food bonus tiles. By the way, in case anyone might not know, the bonus also applies for cities built adjacent to fresh-water lakes.

Incidentally, for those inclined to micromanage, there is a special trick that can be used with cities that produce three food per turn and have granaries (as is the case for Agricultural cities with fresh water but no food bonus). Growth can never be faster than every four turns, but you can get that rate with a food surplus of two on two of the four and three on the other two. That makes it possible to work a forest for two of the four turns for an extra shield. Further, at least under many circumstances, if you're running a food surplus of three when you grow, the new laborer will appear on a forest. Thus, having the turn you grow be a "3" turn instead of a "2" turn can provide an additional advantage. Those tricks can combine for a few extra shields in the critical early phases of the game.

I might also mention that for cities with a maximum food surplus of four, a 3/3/4 pattern can take similar advantage to provide extra production. I'm sure a lot of players are already aware of such tricks, but I thought I'd mention them for the benefit of those who might not be.

Nathan

Comment

When does this game get released, because of the AU mod?
                      Next friday?
                      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Re: Re: AU 502 Teaser

Originally posted by nbarclay
                        I would appreciate a clarification regarding the barbarian setting, if you don't mind.
                        Not at all, though a)this is just the teaser thread and b)in keeping with the AU501 info threads, I was going to let there be a little mystery.

Barbarians: Yes

Comment

Oh, I crack myself up sometimes.
                          There are barbarians(and huts) but you won't be tripping over them.

Comment

Barbarians affect your opening strategy. If there are none, you might want to REX without military (although against the spirit of this particular course). If you are going to eventually disclose the barbarian levels, it would be nice to know in advance so we can discuss our opening strategy here.

Also, a mini-map with your position in the World would be nice to have in advance for the same reason.

The start looks interesting.
                            At first glance I am tempted to move the worker to the [edit: west] bonus grassland, and if he doesn't see anything good there, settle one tile south so that I can place another city right at the beginning of the river. Of course that depends on our position on the mini-map.
                            Last edited by alexman; March 12, 2004, 12:15.

Comment

Wow, there's an old thread of mine. Arguing against Vel and the power of Industriousness in CivIII/PTW. Silly me.

Anyway, the start looks good but not great, which is probably good considering how incredible the Celts can be.

My initial thoughts:

T1: found city, move worker east to bgrass. Build warrior. WF to sugar tile.
                              T2: 3f, 2s. Worker roads.
                              T5: 12f, 8s. Road complete, begin mine.
                              T6: 15f, warrior complete. Another.
                              T7: 18f, 2s.
                              T8: Size2, 6s. WF to sugar and forest.
                              T9: 2f, Warrior complete. One more. WF to sugar and roaded bgrass.
                              T10: 5f, 3s.
                              T11: 8f, 7s. Mine complete. Worker moves to bgrass across the river.
                              T12: 11f, warrior complete. Begin granary. Worker roads.
                              T13: 14f, 4s.
                              T14: 17f, 8s.
                              T15: Size 3, 14s. WF to sugar and 2x bgrass. Road complete, begin mine.
                              T16: 3f, 19s.
                              T17: 6f, 24s.
                              T18: 9f, 29s.
                              T19: 12f, 34s.
                              T20: 15f, 39s.
                              T21: 18f, 45s. Mine complete. Worker to plains.
                              T22: Size4, 53s. WF to Sugar, 2x bgrass, and some other tile that gets us 1 shield (of course, it may be that there are juicy 2 food/1 shield tiles available that we can't see from the screenshot above, but for now I'll assume that's not so).
                              Worker irrigates.
                              T23: 2f, granary complete.

Hmm... nah, not sure I like that. Let's back up a bit and change course...

T1: found city, move worker east to bgrass. Build warrior. WF to sugar tile.
                              T2: 3f, 2s. Worker roads.
                              T5: 12f, 8s. Road complete, begin mine.
                              T6: 15f, warrior complete. Another.
                              T7: 18f, 2s.
                              T8: Size2, 6s. WF to sugar and forest.
                              T9: 2f, Warrior complete. One more. WF to sugar and roaded bgrass.
                              T10: 5f, 3s.
                              T11: 8f, 7s. Mine complete. Worker moves to forest.
                              T12: 11f, warrior complete. Begin granary. Worker chops.
                              T13: 14f, 4s.
                              T14: 17f, 8s.
                              T15: Size 3, 14s. WF to sugar and 2x bgrass.
                              T16: 3f, 29s. Chop complete. Begin road.
                              T17: 6f, 34s.
                              T18: 9f, 39s.
                              T19: 12f, 44s. If chopped tile is bgrass, mine. Otherwise, move to plains tile.
                              T20: 15f, 49s.
                              T21: 18f, 54s.

Crap, that isn't working well either. May have to drop a warrior.

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                              X