No announcement yet.

AU mod: Balancing Ground Unit Bombardment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... Not only did the AI keep all 13 Catapults in the city where I placed them ...

What might happen if you placed those catapults OUTSIDE a city??

Answering my own question: I tried a DEBUG with them outside, in 4 different adjacent tiles. When I captured one stack of them with a tank, the rest (finally) fled -- into the most endangered city, as it turns out -- 5 or 6 artillery and 3 or 4 ground combat units (2 of them conscripts).

IOW, nerfing artillery units

Comment

WRT 'never build'

find it a little depressing an answer results in a position in which humans have a tactic (land bombardment) that the AI does not - makes our land campaigns such much stronger.

This does not mean it is not the best, if the AI wastes the resources, just depressing

Could we not remove artillery altogether?

'but how will I conduct military campaigns?'

the hard way, same as the AI!
      Last edited by JimiD; March 17, 2004, 08:56.

Comment

If this were a pure 'help the AI' mod, removing artillery would be the answer.

However, this mod also tries to give the human player more choices, not fewer, while changing as little as possible. Removing artillery would help the AI, but it would also go against both of the other goals. Not a good change, IMO.

BTW, thanks for the tests Jaybe.
        Last edited by alexman; March 17, 2004, 09:29.

Comment

Originally posted by nbarclay
          I would support reducing the bombardment strength of artillery from 12 to 10.
          I like this solution as well. It would weaken Artillery without upsetting the balance between ground bombard units. In fact, we can go as low as bombard strength of 8, and Artillery still will be no less cost-effective than Cannons.

Comment

Originally posted by alexman

I like this solution as well. It would weaken Artillery without upsetting the balance between ground bombard units. In fact, we can go as low as bombard strength of 8, and Artillery still will be no less cost-effective than Cannons.
            Not quite accurate. Suppose two enemy units are down to two hit points each from earlier bombardment. Two cannons could, with enough luck, take one hit point off each unit, while the best an artillery unit could do is remove one hit point from one unit (since the last hit point is immune to artillery attack). The fact that artillery's second rate of fire is sometimes (indeed, fairly often) wasted would make cannons able to do more damage per shield as long as artillery's greater range is not an issue.

Granted, artillery would still generally be the better units because of their greater range and because the upkeep cost (in governments and situations where that is relevant) would be lower. But I think a bombard strength of 10 provides a better balance to leave players feeling like the newer, more modern unit is clearly better. A strength of 10 is also more in line with the strength of bombers, unless we would decide to reduce that too.

Comment

1. Catapults. Building catapults at price 30 at time warrior build-up is too expensive: it is 3 (!) warriors that could become swordsmen or UU. Even if I do not have money to upgrade all warriors at once, it is still a better deal. I build catapults only if I am in GA (too much production anyways), I have some cities were I cannot get anyting more meaningful for some reason, or disconnecting iron is too much pain. If under stock rulles I had to think should I build them along with warriors or not, under AU mod it si no question: obviously not. In this regard it is reduction of options for player.

2. Trebuchers. The question of cost effectiveness of trebuchers vs. catapults is mute because you cannot build catapults anymore after Engeneering. You would upgrade your catapults too because it is a gain anyway.

The only pro side to high cost is that it is human-only starategy, so some hinderance to it is acceptable.
              Last edited by pvzh; March 17, 2004, 12:48.

Comment

pvzh, we have been through the arguments against expensive Catapults before in this thread (page 2), and Nathan is one person who would agree with you.

Comment

I know it was discussed, I have read it.

Now I realised that you asked our opinion on unit artillery not artillery in general (catapults through radar artillery). Sorry...

I guess Nathan will be glad to know he is not alone

Comment

Originally posted by alexman
                    pvzh, we have been through the arguments against expensive Catapults before in this thread (page 2), and Nathan is one person who would agree with you.
                    Actually, I don't think I ever went so far as to argue that at cost 30, catapults would clearly not be worth building. I just wasn't convinced that such a radical cost increase was needed, and in a conservative mod, I didn't feel like such a major change was warranted in the absence of stronger evidence than had been presented. Since I'd had no experience with stacks of cats in C3C myself at the time, I had to rely on evidence presented by those trying to convince me that the change was needed, and the evidence presented didn't impress me enough for me to view such a radical solution as justified at the time. (I do think "radical" is an appropriate term for increasing a unit's cost by fifty percent.)

After my experience with catapults and trebuchets in AU 501, plus some experience using them under the standard rules in at least one or two games since, I definitely view cats at cost 20 as too powerful. Whether costs of 25 and 30 or 30 and 35 for catapults and trebuchets, respectively, would be better depends on whether one views conservatism or helping the AIs as a more important goal, but I no longer have any real objections to 30 and 35. Even at the higher cost, I was able to get good use out of them, and I will almost certainly make cats and trebuchets a standard part of whatever major slow-mover offensives I engage in during their eras from now on. That's especially true fighting under Republic, since avoiding losses helps with war weariness.

Nathan

Comment

re: Nerfing artillery (aside from costs)
                      Cannon: 6.1.2
                      Artillery: 8 (or 10).2.2

Comment

Under consideration:

1. Reduce bombard strength of Artillery to 10
                        2. Add build-never flag to artillery for all AI civs.

Voting in a week, unless you want to vote today so the changes make it into AU502.

Comment

My suggestion would be that we include the changes in the version of the mod for AU 502 if they get a supermajority of five votes (which would be about 71% of the panel). Then if support drops back below a majority in the following week, the change can be pulled back out for future versions. Hopefully, that would provide a reasonable balance of speed and safety.

Comment

Sounds like a plan. My votes:
                            1. Yes
                            2. Yes

Comment

1. Yes
                              2. Yes
                              "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                              "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                              "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Though it pains me to weaken my beloved artillery...

1. Yes
                                2. Yes

forgive me, my sweet shell-hurlers!
                                I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Working...
                                X