No announcement yet.

AUSG101 - Opportunist Team DAR2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering that even 3-tile is tough for me to stomach, I'm happy you don't want to go for the "optimal" culture-win strategy.

I still like the "opportunistic" concept, frankly. Take advantage of our opportunities and see what happens.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Let opportunity rule. Or, if we do go culture, make ithe th 20K in one city way. Downloading and playing shortly.
      If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

DAMN YOU!

This is why I build spearmen. Or, more to the point, why I have more than 1 or 2 units lying around.

On the first turn, our norther warrior was killed.

That left me with what, a conscript warrior & a regular spearman? Something like that.

Anyway, that conscript eventually got himself promoted. I built another unit or two (vet archer, reg warrior, I think), before the Americans sauntered up and sneak attacked. Their 2 regular warriors were defeated.

Then the wheels came off. First, my vet archer attacked a regular american warrior and lost, this forced me to finish off said warrior with the spearman, and therefore the spearman took 1 more turn to get back to our road net.

Next, a barb warrior defeated our vet warrior (without hp loss) in our southeastern city (I forget the name) and wiped out the production on our 2nd archer.

Then, a barb horseman nailed the Japanese worker I had so ingeniously purchased, right after I got him (masonry + 42g).

At this point, another american warrior got in and was able to capture our NE city. I just couldn't get there in time. Why? Because I had no ****ing units, that's why.

Anyway, I took it back, but lost the spearman doing so (frustration attack, across the river, shouldn't have done it. My mistake).

I made peace with America at the earliest opportunity, and they paid me 103 gold for it.

Before finishing, I lost another vet unit to barbs (barb horse took down a vet archer on a hill - archer defending). That was fun.

On the last turn, I traded cem burial to Carthage for most of their cash, and then sent Mysticism & Math plus 8 gold to them for Writing. Then I established embassies everywhere.

I was going to mention the micromanaging I did with that irrigated game tile, but I'm too annoyed now.

Screenshot of the situation in 1250 bc:
        Attached Files

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Here is the save:
          Attached Files

Comment

Holy cr*p!!

/me looks at his hand, which would surely be mangled from punching the monitor if in Arrian's place.
            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Let's start with the save.
              The important details aren't about my current position but about the future:

Monarchy in 3, Iron connected in 5, by that stage I'd have 15 veteran warriors and slightly over 600 gold.
              Attached Files

Comment

OK. Down and dirty. For some reason photo suite isn't working tonight, so I cannot convert anything into a .jpg to show you pics. Guess I will have to reload the program soon.

2150 - Damon Dies. Palace grows, I skip it so we can as a group (if anybody wants, I almost always skip it) choose what style we want.
                2030 - Our 2hp warrior dies due to barbs.
                1990 - Purchase a worker and 2 g from Japan for alphabet.
                1625 - Lost 79g due to barbs sacking a city. Darn not having enough defenders.
                1250 - Japan sends a lone warrior into our territory, probably going to try and sneak attack. I have a chariot and a spear that can get to the city first (so we definitely will not loose it this turn), and have 5 more chariots that will arrive next turn. Forgot to diplo whore the past couple of turns, and Japan just reminded me to do so and to take all their gold so they cannot form any alliances. I sell them Math for all 65 of their gold, hoping against all reason that we will be able to capture a cat or two in their soon to be defeat. Purchased writing from America along with all their gold for poly and math (ya, I was a bit generous, but oh well. Hopefully they start researching HB soon and we can just buy it from them). Set up embassies all around (again, the no pic thing hurts here).

Japan (Kyoto) - 2 spears defending, building Oracle with 38 turns left
                Americans - 2 spears defending, building Oracle with 37 turns left
                Carthage - 2 numidean and 1 warrior defending. Building a settler.

All known cultures in awe of our culture.

Science:
                America - equal to us (as I said, I was generous)
                Carthage & Japan both lack Writing and Poly.

We have 11 cities
                2 settlers on the way (used GoTo)
                6 native workers
                1 Jap worker
                1 spear
                3 warriors (currently acting as police)
                8 chariots

Tax 60%, +20 gpt, around 800 gold now
                Sci 10%, Monarchy in 27
                Lux 30%, this can probably be lowered this turn as I forgot to check.

(quick edit to get a couple of those typos and other bad grammer things)
                Last edited by GodKing; September 22, 2003, 22:05.
                If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

oh ya, here is the save.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here are the notes I have to make my DAR from:

2150BC All Techs gifted/sold to all civs. Mecca switched to archer.
                    2110BC Damascus builds worker-set to granary. Ent to 30
                    2070BC Medina buils worker+
                    2030BC Mecca archer-settler
                    1910BC Medina worker-granary
                    1870BC Mecca settler+ Baghdad barracks-worker ent to 10
                    Mysterious gap in record. Kufah founded in 1750BC 774 of Mecca
                    1650BC
                    1625BC Mecca settler-settler
                    1600BC Najran barracks-warrior Basra founded near Iron-starts on Temple
                    1550BC Polytheism discovered- Monarchy started
                    1475BC Damascus builds granary-worker. Carthagians establish embassy. Trade Writing+50gold for polytheism with America. Trade polytheism for horseback riding from japan. gift carthage horseback riding. Carthage haven't got contact
                    1450BC
                    1425BC Medina builds granary-worker. Baghdad warrior+ Anjar founded near chokepoint
                    Remember to establish embassies with America+Japan. Both capitals 65 turns from the oracle
                    1400BC Najran warrior+

Hardly complete but it might give some idea of what I did.

The first thing I did was to gift all tachs to all 3 AIs we've met. It was likely from there that America and Japan would get Iron Working before connecting Iron and Horseback Riding long before I'd consider attacking them. I'd have a tech lead in polytheism and monarchy before anyone would have anything useful to trade. So there seemed no reason not to. They might even build.

Then like Arrian, I lost the regular warrior to barbarians. It's one thing to have no defenses when you're not under attack but in this position, it's dangerous. So Mecca had to build an archer. Fortunately that was enough to deal with the barbarians for then.

For some reason, I decided that Damascus and Medina would be better off with granaries. Of course this meant going under the number of workers I'd like for some time but it should have paid off in population eventually.

I continued with the 3-ring and built a city near the Iron which pop-rushed a temple. I think that a distance 7 ring should be next. Would that satisfy all those who don't like close spacing? There's always the option of abandoning Mecca.
                    This means that Medina should be the only distance 5 city but that's really imposed by the geometry anyway. Actually, I've only one 7 distance city, the one near the chokepoint and another settler in place. The iton city is at a distance of 8. But that's planning for you.

The other cities in the first ring all built barracks and built only warriors if that was completed. They haven't generally had first choice of tiles so they've hardly been impressive.

The irrigated game means having to micromanage every turn . That shows in the result of course.

The immeadiate plan is to get Monarchy and then take all the veteran warriors off defense and MP duty and upgrade them. I don't know whether to hit Japan or America with 15 swordsmen but then that's not my choice.

A screenshot?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Re: DAMN YOU!

Originally posted by Arrian
                      This is why I build spearmen. Or, more to the point, why I have more than 1 or 2 units lying around.

On the first turn, our norther warrior was killed.

That left me with what, a conscript warrior & a regular spearman? Something like that.

Anyway, that conscript eventually got himself promoted. I built another unit or two (vet archer, reg warrior, I think), before the Americans sauntered up and sneak attacked. Their 2 regular warriors were defeated.

Then the wheels came off. First, my vet archer attacked a regular american warrior and lost, this forced me to finish off said warrior with the spearman, and therefore the spearman took 1 more turn to get back to our road net.

Next, a barb warrior defeated our vet warrior (without hp loss) in our southeastern city (I forget the name) and wiped out the production on our 2nd archer.

Then, a barb horseman nailed the Japanese worker I had so ingeniously purchased, right after I got him (masonry + 42g).

At this point, another american warrior got in and was able to capture our NE city. I just couldn't get there in time. Why? Because I had no ****ing units, that's why.

Anyway, I took it back, but lost the spearman doing so (frustration attack, across the river, shouldn't have done it. My mistake).

I made peace with America at the earliest opportunity, and they paid me 103 gold for it.

Before finishing, I lost another vet unit to barbs (barb horse took down a vet archer on a hill - archer defending). That was fun.

On the last turn, I traded cem burial to Carthage for most of their cash, and then sent Mysticism & Math plus 8 gold to them for Writing. Then I established embassies everywhere.

I was going to mention the micromanaging I did with that irrigated game tile, but I'm too annoyed now.

Screenshot of the situation in 1250 bc:
                      OUCH! Almost enough to make you take up bridge.
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

I play bridge.

Not sure why you guys are getting Damon killed. He survives the Barb battle in my game. Are you just hitting Enter when you load up the turn?

Even so, I'm curious as to why you guys think this is really bad. Look at the position we're in! I dare say the lack of military units early on has paid off.

I'll go into more details in my DAR, but the key is to place military unis outside your borders as lookouts. Then you can prepare (if need be) for a Barb attack and meet it at full strength. This is one of the powers of the Lux slider.

Dominae
                        And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Dominae, I have REALLY tried to learn to play bridge 3 times. If you could (on-line, I guess) try to teach me... I'd be indebted.

I think you guys are doing pretty damn well.
                          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominae
                            I'll go into more details in my DAR, but the key is to place military unis outside your borders as lookouts. Then you can prepare (if need be) for a Barb attack and meet it at full strength. This is one of the powers of the Lux slider.

Dominae
                            I used scouts and warrior lookouts in my run and had basically no combat. It worked very nice for me, no camps popped up near by. I know some like to smash camps fo rthe 25 gold, but I am not fond of it with regular warriors. That is why I kept the look outs. If I had vet archers or horses, then I am fond of letting camps return. Anyway with another expansion civ and Japan nearby, I figure the barbs would have little room to grow.

Comment

All I did was press enter, Dominae. After loosing that warrior, I didn't have enough units to use lookouts. There already were multiple camps around our borders.

Why is it bad? Because expansion is only good when you can actually defend it.

I hate being in the position where 1 or 2 bad RN rolls can **** me. That's why I build more units, and yeah, my expansion is slighly slower.

Whatever, it worked out for you, and it looks like the others had more success than I.

For ****s and giggles, I also played out my 2150bc save for a while... and things went well enough that my anger at the RNG died down for a while (leader in 1000bc, Pyramids rushed).

-Arrian

Comment

Something weird must have happened with the save, because I did not lose that Warrior. I'm thinking I did some last-minute changes after saving the game to post here.

I'm not sure it matters in the long run, though. Seeing the Barb threat I pop out an extra couple of Warriors, which "easily" take care of the Barb threat. I did lose Cruise down past Carthaginian lands though (too bad: there's still some stuff to scout down there).

I'm sorry this game got you so frustrated, Arrian. I think the problem is that you were put in a position that employs a particular strategy that you're not comfortable with, namely paper-thin defense. It's not obvious (requires a lot of AI guesswork), and if you're not used to it I'm sure feels pretty reckless. I'm not saying you're not capable of it, just that your playstyle is very different from mine. But that's the point of AUSG101: to compare playstyles. Maybe we'll all end up agreeing that my "paper-thin" defense strategy is not so good after all.

Dominae
                                And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Working...
                                X