AUSG101 - Opportunist Team DAR2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AUSG101 - Opportunist Team DAR2

This is the DAR (“during action report”) thread for the second turn block of 30 turns (2150bc – 1250bc) for the opportunist team. Please post your DAR of the next 30 turns, including thoughts of why you did what you did in the game, along with a screenshot at 1250bc and a savegame at 1250bc. Please name your save with your nickname, team name, and the time (i.e. rhoth-domination-1250bc).

Team registry:

Dominae
    Arrian
    Nor Me
    BRC
    Godking
    Platfuss
    korn469

Current voting (by spaceship team)

Dominae: 3
    Nor Me: 2
    BRC: 1

Total votes: 6 of 7
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rhothaerill; September 25, 2003, 22:21.

I recommend everyone just hit 'Enter' without changing anything on the current turn. I played 2150BC and everything is in order. Just sit back and watch the Barb fireworks...hope my luck does not run out just yet!

Dominae
    And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

ok I haven't posted in the strategy forum much lately so my game recording skills are rather lax, but anyways here's my block

1870 - founded kufah to the south
      1970 - founded basra to the north
      1725 - sacked two barb camps that turn, and my warrior in the south became elite
      1625 - founded khurasan to the north east
      1525 - founded Anjar to the south east
      1475 - barbarians killed my spearman in Anjar and sacked the town, it cost me 79 gold
      1425 - founded Fustat to the northwest
      1275 - traded Mathematics to carthage for writing and 5 gold, then put embassies in all of my rivals

one other thing of note, earlier (I forgot to write down when, sorry guys!) I traded the americans for horseback writing,

basically I tried to focus on building lots of workers and tile improvements, founding lots of cities by pumping settlers from mecca, maintaining a tech lead, and preparing for future military action

i finished the round with the following
      *440 gold (-8 per turn)
      *5 turns from monarchy
      *i discovered polytheism, and traded for writing and horseback riding
      *1 settler headed to found a new city
      *18 workers
      *2 warriors
      *2 vet horsemen with more under construction
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dominae in another thread
        Now that I think of it, "opportunist" as a team goal seems a little odd. All other things being equal the Opportunist team will always be better than the other two teams, assuming they stick to their guns. If anyone agrees and has a problem with this, [b]it's not too late to turn the Opportunist team into a "Culture" team.[/b[ This way each team would have a very distinct and achievable goal, and there would be less reason to compare/compete between teams.
        I have no problems with this as it would provide a detailed history of shooting for another win condition instead of being open to anything. But I think the team itself should decide this since it affects them. They are the ones that signed up for the opportunists win and if it changes to a culture win then they are the ones affected by changing their strategy.

So, opportunist team, please comment on this possible change. If the majority of you want to change goals that is fine, otherwise you will remain as you are now.

Comment

I vote 'yes' for turning our goal into the more-defined Cultural victory (either 20k or 100k).

It's actually quite a different way to play the game that I'm sure many of us have never really tried. Great learning opportunity.

Any bets on how fast we can do it? Remember, we're not the Babs!

Dominae

Comment

Earth calling the Opportunistic team members... are you out there? Come in please.
            Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

I was away all weekend. I intend to play my turns tonight.

Not sure about the culture thing. Will go with the flow on that one.

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Arrian, you of all people should be against the culture thing. Winning by culture with a religious civ as early as possible involves zero science, filling 66% of the world with cities 2 tiles apart, while rush-buying temples and cathedrals.

Comment

Ssh!

Comment

Well, if speed is of the essence, yeah.

But many of my best games end up as culture wins or as games that could be won via culture, only I dominated first instead. 100k culture isn't THAT hard to come up with if you get yourself a big empire. The problem is that in my SP games, I play long past the point where victory is assured, playing in my pretty sandbox, and I know Dominae is loathe to do that... which brings us back to your point.

Hmm.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Your diabolical plot has been exposed! The forces of light rally against you! Down with Infinite Temple Sprawl!

-Arrian

Comment

Sure, if we want to do a boring Culture win, we could. Then again, we could make it very similar to UP, but it would take longer that way. I'm not such which (if any) would be a good learning experience.

I'm going to keep on building Temples and such, but still play a "normal" game until further notice.

Dominae

Comment

Works for me. I build temples anyway (though not as automatically as I used to).

How did you envision your culture win idea playing out, Dominae?

-Arrian

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                            How did you envision your culture win idea playing out, Dominae?
                            I was thinking of trying to do it very quickly by building a lot of cities and rushing Temples/Cathedrals, but not necessarily in the optimal way. alexman is right in saying that putting cities every two tiles is the fastest way to do it, but I'm not sure I have the stomach for that. If we take over our continent, 3-tile mostly everywhere and concentrate on Culture, we should have a UP-ish game where we win by Culture in the 1700's.

Of course, each player can do whatever he or she wants, but I'm going to say straight up that if we do go for a Culture win, I'm not going to be using all the tricks in the book to do it super-fast. As a learning experience I think we would lose a lot if we employed the "optimal" strategy for the Culture win.

Dominae

Comment

Were the Borg very cultured?

Dominae

Comment

Working...
                              X