AU Mod: City Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AU Mod: City Names

It's not a real issue as far as game mechanics, but I know there are plenty of people who prefer unique city names and extended lists to the stock convention. I put the city names I had been using in stock (an amalgam of a couple of lists I downloaded either here or CFC, don't remember exactly) into the AU Mod 1.07 for my own use (you can find the file here). At alexman's suggestion, here's the discussion thread for it.

Options as I see them:

1. Keep stock city lists
    2. Use the lists I put in
    3. Use a different list of names agreed upon by the AU community.

Pros and Cons as I see them:

1. Pro: No work required.
    Con: "Berlin 2 - Founded 110 BC"

2. Pro: All the work's already done and the civ with the shortest city list is Sumeria, with 54 unique names.
    Con: Not particularly vetted for anything but duplication within each civ (and maybe not very well at that, knowing me ). I really don't care if, for instance, Birmingham is on both England and America's lists. If they're both in the game, whoever comes to it first gets it and no further problems. If one or neither is in the game, moot issue.

3. Pro: Almost certainly wind up with a richer and more historically relevant list for most, if not all, civs due to the wider range of inputs.
    Con: That's a lot of consensus to build.

Thoughts?
    Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

We did it for the PTW mod, and neglected to do so for C3C... I, for one, will be using the AU Mod 1.07s from now on.
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

1.07s... outstanding

Guess I should go about joining the civgroup now and making a real effort to keep up the involvement I've meant to start forever and just now gotten around to.

Comment

Its got my support, not that I had a vote..
        If there is still a panel..
        and they still vote...

go for 2, then when there is duplication, and a problem, we can sort it then...

Comment

I'm officially placing "2" under consideration. If someone wants to do more work on the lists, they're welcome to, but I don't see any reason not to go with what we have in the meantime.

Comment

I'll have to get up to Huntsvegas and buy you a beer for that, Nathan. I hear a friend of mine that works at the Owl Store just got a new set of D's.

Comment

Okay, it's time for a vote. Yes/No: Do we want to incorporate the existing extended city name lists into the AU Mod?

Comment

Yes
                The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Don't all vote at once now...
                  "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
                  -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Yes

Comment

Yes

Comment

Yes

Comment

Yes
                          "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Nice to see this here and thanks for sharing this to us. Get more about IIT Bhilai Recruitment details here to apply.

Comment

Working...
                            X