No announcement yet.

The least useful improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never build a palace.(only once when barbs destroyed it).
    Courthouse lets you celebrate under democracy if you don't get hanging gardens. I never build nuclear plants either.

Comment

I seldom build granaries. Onlx once in a game I build some and the others were surprised by my huge population.

Some days ago it was the first time, I built Nuclear Plants. It was an OCC.

And I never ever built a Palace and as far as I remember I didn't build a Police Station.
      Who's the Man?

Comment

I rarely build any of the improvements which have a Wonder replacement, Port Facilities (I rarely build fleets), SDI's (no need to without nukes), Courthouses and Colosseums (the last two are really only needed in the end-game to ensure WLT_D and more happy faces for a higher score)... But then again, I only play SP on the medium difficulty levels.
        Because of the unfair competition of the worst improvements with the better Wonders (perhaps the wonders should actually be considered as an instance of the improvement in this discussion), I'd say the Courthouse is worst.
        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by geofelt
          I never build a palace.(only once when barbs destroyed it).

Comment

Originally posted by debeest
            If you want research laboratories, build SETI instead.
            I forgot about those. Right up there with nuclear plants, then.

I like courthouses - lower corruption, then a happy face in democracy. Good return, imho.
            The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
            intelligence to few.

Comment

Yup - courthouses are seriously good news ...

SG[1]
              "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
              "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Actually I only build Courthouses´in a democracy but they're definitely not worst.
                Only once SDI was necessary - now I'm landing on AC when the AI is still researching nuclear theorie.
                Who's the Man?

Comment

In my limited experience I've found no real benefit from the following --

Nuclear power plant
                  Police station
                  Capitalization

In addition, since I learned to celebrate, I've never again bought a granary.

But relative to most posters here, I'm a complete tyro, so what do I know?
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

WOW!

No police and rarely cathedrals.
                    Seldom SAMs and ...never built a science lab.
                    googol... this is a number!
                    "Silence Ming. I will let you know when I feel you are needed." - HappySunShine
                    "Classic Eyes...But in reality, it works the other way around." - Ming

Comment

I don't think it's fair to count cathedrals, power plants, etc., because I would build those if I didn't get the Wonders that provide them automatically. And I do tend to build courthouses after I get Adam Smith.

So I've got to go with police stations. I never go for Women's Sufferage, either. If I'm a democracy, I don't warmonger; if I'm a war-mongerer, I don't handicap myself by staying in democracy. And if, as a democracy, I need troops in the field at that point, it's just easier to have my SSC support them, since it has Shakespeare's in it.
                      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Power plants I built once just to see what they looked like 'cause I realized after three years I had never built one...

Collossea (sp? It doesn't look right) are the last improvements I ever build though.
                        Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Granaries and SAMs.

Carolus

Comment

port authority is useless. Who needs vet ships.

My navy is transports...

Comment

Working...
                            X