Advantages of starting civs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advantages of starting civs

Is it just me, or do some of the civilizations start out with more techs than others?

Example: Playing as the Americans or Chinese often gives one way more tech skills than usual. The game I just started in Diety as the Americans gave me Monarcy as one of my starting skills! On the other hand, playing as the Spanish or Vikings barely ever gives me any starting techs other than the standard three; Irrigation, Mining and Roads.

More research will be forthcoming, but if someone has already said all this, let me know.

"Marching onward to the cliff of Destiny"

What about land quality?
    Sometimes as host, I've noticed if I have many techs my land bites.

------------------
    It's In The Way That You Use It
    Tuatha De Danann Tribe

Comment

this was tested before...... check out the Great Library at Apolyton.... has many usefull bits and bytes
      Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Here is the link to the thorough discussion about this very topic:
        HERE

SirLemming, check out the Great Library thread at the top of the strategy forum, there is lots to read that can help your game in every way. Check back occasionally, as it is a work in progress. Good civin!

------------------
        "There is no fortress impregnable to an ass laden with gold."
        -Philip of Macedon
        The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
        intelligence to few.

Comment

I think the game was programed that way; Some tribes always have cushy start locations. Babylonia, U.S.A, Egypt, etc. have good positions. Japan, the Aztecs, MY Vikings, etc. get totally screwed.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Odin on 05-16-2001 07:02 PM
            I think the game was programed that way; Some tribes always have cushy start locations. Babylonia, U.S.A

Whereas I can't count the number of times I've seen the Americans stuck on a 2-city penninsula extending from the arctic. I think it's mostly random, though there is a theory that the purples get stuck with pretty crappy land because the computer places them last. But we do always remember disproportionately our own godawful starts, don't we?

------------------
            Dig trenches, with our men being killed off like flies? There isn't time to dig trenches. We'll have to buy them ready made. Here, run out and get some trenches.
            -- Rufus T. Firefly, the original rush-builder
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Working...
            X