Proposal: a "no AI help" AC challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposal: a "no AI help" AC challenge

This thread is in no way meant to denigrate the remarkable accomplishments in early AC arrival lately. I take my hat off to those who have pushed the boundaries of Civ II. But I hate spending lots of time in the diplomatic screen talking to the wretched AI leaders. In the Rome scenario, I had the most fun when none of the AIs would talk to me and I could just move my units and manage my civ.

In short, I propose the following: a race to AC where the human player is not allowed to talk to any of the AIs. No tech trading/gifting, no tribute/gifts. The easiest way to set this up is via the events.txt file, so that would leave out 2.42 players. Further suggestions: no city bribing by the human player, no barbarians. The former rule removes yet another way for the human to make the game easier; the latter helps reduce the "luck factor" in comparing results. Much as I hate the empty celebrating city syndrome, barbarians are a potential bonanza to a good human player.

The idea is to have a 4000 BC save game which all participants would play to defeat or AC landing. I could set one up for MGE, but if a FW owner could set up the scenario that might allow a few more people to participate. I suggest a medium map, 7 civs, deity, random start.

Edit: I forgot to mention no huts, no techs on city conquest, and no tech stealing by the human. You get to AC the old fashioned way... you earrrrn it.

You can download the file here.
    [This message has been edited by DaveV (edited May 04, 2001).]

I'm glad Samson's research is done, I think we'll all be playing as the purple civ or would that be considered cheating too ?

EOL
    "One day your life is going to flash before your eyes, make sure it is worth watching."

Comment

I like the idea, probably because I hardly ever deal with the AI or bribe and therefore feel handicapped when comparing results to those who do.

From a mechanical standpoint, do you have a choice to refuse a tech on city conquest and how would you manage no huts or is that why you're asking a scenario developer to set this up.

Comment

If you don't want any AI influence at all, you could also play a game with only the human player and no AI civs, like we had in one of the OCC fortnight scenarios. You'll have to edit one of the text files to play with only one civ; I don't remember exactly what should be changed, but I could look it up if anybody is interested.

Comment

I'm buried under marking at the moment, but I'm in - probably not finish before high summer though...

------------------
          Scouse Git[1] -- git1@scousers.net

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
          "The Great Library must be built!"
          "A short cut has to be challenging,
          were it not so it would be 'the way'."
          - Paul Craven
          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

[ot]DaveV - I have just discovered the rome scenario following LaFayette's prompting and am getting close to his 100 year challenge - but to do this I am heavily relying on trade as an alternative to research - what kind of dates did you achieve without AI intercourse??[/ot] Sorry

------------------

[Edit - just read the 'Delenda sunt ...' thread properly - sorry]

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
            "The Great Library must be built!"
            - Paul Craven
            [This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited April 25, 2001).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by DaveV on 04-25-2001 12:59 PM
              I could set one up for MGE, but if a FW owner could set up the scenario that might allow a few more people to participate.

Never mind, after further thought I've realized I can set it up myself in 2.42.

quote:

Originally posted by EOL on 04-25-2001 02:24 PM
              I think we'll all be playing as the purple civ or would that be considered cheating too?

Not cheating, but it would remove a strategic element from the game. Do you try to pump caravans to the purple civ, build cities near him and hope he steals tech, build roads by his cities for him, etc.? Or just suffer with the penalty and hope it increases the value of your caravans?

quote:

Originally posted by Paul on 04-25-2001 04:39 PM
              If you don't want any AI influence at all, you could also play a game with only the human player and no AI civs, like we had in one of the OCC fortnight scenarios.

No, I'm looking for AI competition to make the game more interesting.

quote:

Originally posted by Deity Dude on 04-25-2001 03:04 PM
              From a mechanical standpoint, do you have a choice to refuse a tech on city conquest and how would you manage no huts or is that why you're asking a scenario developer to set this up.

Yes, it's a scenario option.

[ot]SG[1] - research? We don't need any stinkin' research![/ot]

Comment

quote:

In the Rome scenario, I had the most fun when none of the AIs would talk to me and I could just move my units and manage my civ.
                [This message has been edited by DaveV (edited April 25, 2001).]

Did you finish it, Dave?
                As my previous results were obtained with use of caravan rehoming, I started a new game as leader of Carthage last week (without any rehoming, of course): 90 years.
                Come on, guys! Have a try!: no huts to tip, no techs available to guess, no wonders to build! It's plain civ2: trading and fighting, with luck factor reduced to almost nil.
                (for those having fun with larger maps, you can have a try at ww2 scenario; a few months ago, someone wrote about a challenge: winning without time limit BUT playing as the Spanish; I tried it while on vacation: believe me, it's FUN, since the big three, Russians, Axis and Allies, are really MUCH stronger than you are; I hope to be winning to morrow by the end of 1961; tell you about it when it's over).

------------------
                aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental
                Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

OK, Dave.
                  I should have read 'Delenda sunt..' before posting this.
                  I won't be trying any challenge in the near future... just sharpening my sword (and my brains, if possible).
                  Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Download the file from here. Play as the Romans.

WARNING: stop reading now if you're going to play this game! Later posts in this thread will give you information that could influence your play.
                    [This message has been edited by DaveV (edited May 03, 2001).]

Comment

Got it - Rome founded - expect my next report in 2002 ...

------------------

"The Great Library has been built!"
                      - Paul Craven

Comment

Had three spare hours before a night class - horrible things ...

1 AD summary ...

25 cities Monarchy, Hanging Gardens & Colossus in Rome

Supreme (about double the score of the Greeks who are second)

First in Science with 15 techs - half way to Trade - research 6 turns/tech
                        Monarchy, Mysticism, Philosophy and Polytheism are 'white'

I destroyed the Mongols in 1950BC
                        Germans destroyed the Aztecs in 300BC

Monarchy established 1850BC
                        HG - 625BC
                        Col - 300BC

The Empire continues ...

------------------

- Paul Craven

Comment

Another 1AD summary

Monarchy (from 1850BC) 20 cities - 2 size 4, 8 size 3, 5 size 2, 5 size 1.

Hanging gardens (375BC) and Colossus (50BC) (couldn't get them in the same city).

Mongols destroyed by warrior in 2950BC (they attacked out of city!).
                          14 techs - first to Alphabet, Code of Laws, Literacy, Monarchy, Philosophy, Trade. Researching Masonry (8 turns).

Supreme - over 2 times German score.

Advisors:

Military - We need more weapons technology.
                          Science - We're #1!
                          Trade - Build Marketplaces
                          Foreign - Go explore (to find other nations).
                          Attitude - We should raise the luxury rate.

Seen a few triremes but no battles yet (other than Mongols ).

Edit: Was repeating myself

[This message has been edited by EOL (edited May 03, 2001).]
                          "One day your life is going to flash before your eyes, make sure it is worth watching."

Comment

EOL - a pre-trade wonder tip -- build horsemen (Horsebackriding was my 1st tech choice) in outlying cities and disband in the capital for a quick 10 wonder shields ...
                            Good game - your cities are bigger than mine

------------------

- Paul Craven
                            [This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited May 03, 2001).]

Comment

Cheers, I have plenty of horses but I figured I may need them for defense, not yet as it turns out.

EOL

Comment

Working...
                              X