Who wants to be obsolete?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who wants to be obsolete?

Ok, so Gunpowder and Mobile Warfare (I think?) render existing barracks obsolete. Which other techs have the same effect?

Carolus

Those advances don't really make barracks obsolete. They're sold off and you have to rebuild them. There are not any other advances that cause any other improvements to be sold off.

Other advances do have some effect on improvements. Communism reduces the effect of Cathedrals by 1.
    Theology increases the effect of Cathedrals by 1.
    Electronics increases the effect of Coloseums by 1.
    Ceremonial Burial increases the effect of Temples by 1
    Mysticism increases the effect of Temples by 1.
    You have to have Monotheism to have cathredals work at all.
    "Cease fire! Please! Cease fire. What a dreadful waste of ammunition!" -- General Horatio Herbert Kitchener
    --

Comment

Originally posted by Gothmog
      Those advances don't really make barracks obsolete. They're sold off and you have to rebuild them. There are not any other advances that cause any other improvements to be sold off.
      Barracks are sold off when you discover certain techs, symbolising that the old schools of training military men are not fit for the present era. They are obsolete ("existing barracks are antique") and you have to rebuild them. But are there other advances triggering the selling off of barracks?

Carolus
      Last edited by Carolus Rex; January 29, 2002, 14:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolus Rex
        But are there other advances that triggers the selling off of barracks?
        No, I think you exhausted the list in your first post. It's probably worth noting, though, that each new version of barracks is more expensive to maintain: 1 gold/turn for ancient barracks, 2 gold/turn after gunpowder, 3 gold/turn after mobile warfare.

Comment

Hi!

Long time, no see.

Seems you answered my question while I was correcting my English. Thorough answer, as always. Thanks!

Carolus

Comment

Didn't understand your original question.
            Gunpowder and Mobile Warfare are definately the only 2 advances that sell off barracks or makes them obsolete in your terms.

About the word obsolete; I was using it a very technical sense as CIV II uses it. Wonders and units, but not other city improvments are made obsolete by particular advances.

You used obsolete in a general sense, and I don't disagree with it.
            "Cease fire! Please! Cease fire. What a dreadful waste of ammunition!" -- General Horatio Herbert Kitchener
            --

Comment

Originally posted by Gothmog
              Ceremonial Burial increases the effect of Temples by 1
              Not quite ... you must have Ceremonial Burial to build Temples.

----------------------

SG(2)
              "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
              "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Originally posted by DaveV

No, I think you exhausted the list in your first post. It's probably worth noting, though, that each new version of barracks is more expensive to maintain: 1 gold/turn for ancient barracks, 2 gold/turn after gunpowder, 3 gold/turn after mobile warfare.

Are we talking about Civ2????

Shade
                ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
                "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
                shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by shade

Are we talking about Civ2????

Shade
                  Yep, barracks definitely get sold off after gunpowder and mobile warfare, and increase in maintenance cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits

Not quite ... you must have Ceremonial Burial to build Temples.

----------------------

SG(2)
                    You're right. I make so many scenarios where I change around the pre-reqs so much that I forgot that.
                    --

Comment

Mysticism?

Maybe you were thinking of Mysticism -- doesn't that double the effect of temples?

Comment

Since this thread has degenerated into a squibble about words I may as well continue...

Yes Campo, Gothmog was thinking of that. I even suspect that's why he mentioned it in his first post...

Carolus

Comment

Originally posted by DrFell
                          and increase in maintenance cost.

Howcome I never have to pay maintenance when I have Adam Smith's??
                          (btw I never found any refference to such thing in the game/manual)

Shade
                          "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

Comment

1st barracks=1 gold maintainence
                            2nd barracks=2 gold
                            3rd barracks=3 gold.

Theoretically,Adam's would only pay for the first barracks since it pays upkeep on all improvements that cost 1 gold upkeep.

War Academy is good till the last barracks upgrade.A very good wonder when one considers all the possible maintainence that is saved...in addition to its normal benefits of allowing a flexible frontline.Too bad war academy doesn't give a barracks in every city(same landmass) like it does in Civ3
                            The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

So why is there nothing about that to find in the game(ie Civ2.42)

Shade

Comment

Working...
                              X