Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:

Originally posted by Mixam on 04-21-2001 03:22 AM
    I mean first of all you would have to record the x,y location of the first 8 huts and then count off what it is like 6 squares between each pattern horizontally and 4 or so vertically. You actually do that!

Yeah, I do. If I'm exploring, why not move in a direction that might really pay off.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

You're crazy! Then i never played a game where I had to think all that much b4 hitting enter. AI is no challenge and I don't care about records. By the way I only play on emprorer right now. I am scared of BBD (Big Bad Diety)
      "I know not how I may seem to others, but to myself I am but a small child wandering upon the vast shores of knowledge, every now and then finding a small bright pebble to content myself with"
      Plato

Comment

Against the AI, I really don't pay much attention either. But against human opponents, any edge helps
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Mixam -- as far as half an hour's testing allows -- you are exactly correct!

Mixam's Law: "Every hut has a (possibly hidden) special two squares away from it in the '1' or '9' direction."

------------------
          Scouse Git[1] -- git1@scousers.net

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
          "The Great Library must be built!"
          "A short cut has to be challenging,
          were it not so it would be 'the way'."
          - Paul Craven
          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

"1 or 9 direction"

?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 04-23-2001 05:57
              Mixam's Law: "Every hut has a (possibly hidden) special two squares away from it in the '1' or '9' direction."

Ha ha... Mixams Law! I was wondering when you were gunna get back to me on that SG. Nice of you to add words and a name to it. All I did was draw a picture

Edit: EST 1 or 9 direction means the squares the numbers on the keypad correspond to. 1 being down and left and 9 being up and right.
              [This message has been edited by Mixam (edited April 23, 2001).]
              "I know not how I may seem to others, but to myself I am but a small child wandering upon the vast shores of knowledge, every now and then finding a small bright pebble to content myself with"
              Plato

Comment

I was just having a look at this and decided i may as well show an image of the pattern. I hope this might make it a little clearer. The hut patterns (4 and 8 hut formations) change latitude depending on the resource seed (as do the mix of buffalo vs wheat).

EOL

------------------
                "One day your life is going to flash before your eyes, make sure it is worth watching."
                "One day your life is going to flash before your eyes, make sure it is worth watching."

Comment

There is a definite relatio between hut pattern and special pattern. Hence you can (at least partially) locate a hut from a special.

Every 8 specials are grouped together and form a shape of a small boat. If we consider the 4 close to the center of the boat to be 'center' specials and the other 4 'outer' specials, then for one group of specials, there will be 4 huts two squares aways from the 'center' specials, and the next group will have 4 huts two squares away from the 'outer' specials.

The directions of the huts from corresponding specials will be northeast for the east two and southwest for the west two.

Comment

Thanks, EOL, nothing like a screenshot to sum up all that garbled ascii art...

------------------
                    "There is no fortress impregnable to an ass laden with gold."
                    -Philip of Macedon
                    The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
                    intelligence to few.

Comment

May I add one last note: The pattern of the specials changes with the resource seed used. Ex:
                      seed=1?
                      _11
                      _11

seed=2?
                      _11
                      _11

seed=3?
                      _12
                      _12

where 1 is one of the two specials for that terrain, and 2 is the other. These alternate in bands like the wheat and buffalo alternate in the picture. Ex:
                      _11_ _11_ _11
                      2222 2222 2222
                      _11_ _11_ _11

_22_ _22_ _22
                      1111 1111 1111
                      _22_ _22_ _22
                      (tilted and moved arround etc. to match the actual pattern)

any others?

Edit: stupid ascii whatever, deletes spaces if they are the first character in a line
                      [This message has been edited by airdrik (edited April 25, 2001).]
                      I don't have much to say 'cause I won't be here long.

Comment

Working...
                      X