Hut pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hut pattern

I know what the special resources pattern looks like - basically a swastika - but what does the hut pattern look like, or the shield pattern...

If there's a previous thread please point me to it if its too long to go into here. I looked in the archives under hut and couldn't find anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

use map editor and make a small all plains or forest.Anything cept grass.
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

the grassland sheild pattern lookes something like this:

SnSnSnSnSn
      nSnSnSnSnS
      nSnSnSnSnS
      SnSnSnSnSn
      SnSnSnSnSn
      nSnSnSnSnS

tilted to the terrain, where S indicates grassland sheild, and bold is where a special is (I believe, I'm doing this from memory). The pattern of specials is repeated with a 2 or 3 tile break in bands about 3-4 tiles apart, and reversed.
      [This message has been edited by airdrik (edited April 09, 2001).]
      I don't have much to say 'cause I won't be here long.

Comment

I think that your specials are incorrect there.
        "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

We have had a discussion of hut patterns before. They come in the form of an oblong box if I recall. Turn on the cheat in a game you are not really going to play. It's really clear.
          No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
          "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Yes, wouldn't the specials be something like:

----S----
            -------S-
            -----C---
            ---S-----
            ------S--

Where 'S' is a special, 'C' is a perfect city location with access to 4 specials.

John-SJ

(Sorry, don't recall the hut pattern off hand.)

Comment

Yeah... just use your map editor and create a world with all land. The basic pattern is easy to spot, four to a pattern. Then see how they all connect, and you can get pretty good at knowing where all the huts are.

But there is nothing worse than finding a one square ocean where a hut should be
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Ming on 04-09-2001 10:55 PM

But there is nothing worse than finding a one square ocean where a hut should be

Yes there is - I always find the top corner of the pattern on my southern coast, with three huts submerged. Grrr

Comment

Useful tip -- Where there's a hut there's a Special! (two squares orthogonally) and if you can't see it - it is still there, but hidden on Grass

------------------
                  Scouse Git[1] -- git1@scousers.net

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
                  "The Great Library must be built!"
                  "A short cut has to be challenging,
                  were it not so it would be 'the way'."
                  - Paul Craven
                  "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                  "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

In order to reveal the shield or the special, how would you need to improve the land: Any other land type to grassland to get the shield, and grassland to some other land type to get the special? Thanks.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by towigg on 04-10-2001 03:56 PM
                      In order to reveal the shield or the special, how would you need to improve the land: Any other land type to grassland to get the shield, and grassland to some other land type to get the special? Thanks.

Bingo! Grassland is the only terrain type that does not have a special. It is also the only one that instead has the shield bonus. Change one to the other, et voila! Experiment in your map editor to see what Scouse Gits talks about with the 2 square special/hut relation.

------------------
                      "There is no fortress impregnable to an ass laden with gold."
                      -Philip of Macedon
                      The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
                      intelligence to few.

Comment

towigg -- you haven't quite got it a special is on a square - or not - so you can never turn say forest to grass and then to silk -- what I meant was that if there is no visible special in any of the four squares two away orthogonally from a hut one of the grass squares in one of these four positions WILL be a special - which one can often be deduced from the special pattern -- IMHO these are just about the only squares it is worth thinking about terraforming in the early game (by terraforming I mean 'M'ing into forest in the hope of detecting silk or pheasant)

------------------
                        Scouse Git[1] -- git1@scousers.net

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
                        "The Great Library must be built!"
                        "A short cut has to be challenging,
                        were it not so it would be 'the way'."
                        - Paul Craven
                        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Thanks everyone this is very helpful.

P.S. Am I the only one here who doesn't know the meaning of "orthogonally"

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Deity Dude on 04-10-2001 05:56 PM
                            Thanks everyone this is very helpful.

P.S. Am I the only one here who doesn't know the meaning of "orthogonally"

Orthogonally is basicly a fancy word for perpendicular, although it has other mathimatical uses too.

------------------
                            "But as time goes on, they, as all men, will find that independence was not made for man - that it is an unnatural state - will do for a while, but will not carry us on safely to the end..." Aldous Huxley in "Brave New World"
                            "There's room at the top they are telling you still, but first you must learn how to smile as you kill, if you want to be like the folks on the hill" - John Lennon

"Life is wasted on the living."
                            -Douglas Adams

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by John-SJ on 04-09-2001 10:51 PM
                              Yes, wouldn't the specials be something like:

----S----
                              -------S-
                              -----C---
                              ---S-----
                              ------S--

Where 'S' is a special, 'C' is a perfect city location with access to 4 specials.

Middle two Ss are one off. Top middle goes one to the right, bottom middle, one to the left. Hence the "swastika pattern" many mention.
                              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                              X