This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apolyton's "Great Library"

I am asking if we can organise the vast amount of knowledge that this site has generated about Civ 2 into a better reference format.

At present we have to trawl the archives to hunt for relevant threads. When a topic is located there may only be a few postings of any value. At the start of the year, Inca made a valiant attempt at trying to produce a thread of distilled wisdom. This never really worked as too many aspects were being discussed under one heading. The wisdom became diluted - not distilled - and the idea slipped away.

My proposals are as follows:

1) The currently under used Civ 2 "Help" section be transformed into a reference section.

2) This would consist of locked threads only. Many examples spring to mind as I write.
    Paul's OCC Guide
    Dave V on his approach to ICS
    William Keenan's Paper on Barbarians
    The information on Spaceship times/configurations
    Oedo's discovery on the years for revolutions without anarchy
    Xin's analysis of approaches to the game, covering the three main strategies of money/science/shields. (I can't tell you the thread he wrote this into …… see my point!)
    My apologies if I have not included your wisdom! There are many more not mentioned.

3) Any poster would be at liberty to write a piece on an aspect of the game, they believe they know well. Initially, a draft form for discussion would be launched in the strategy section. (The vet civvers on the site will soon spot incomplete or wrong information.) The author would then be encouraged to amend the work with the correct information. Then, subject to the approval of Ming the Moderator, the thread would be entered into the Great Library/Reference Section or whatever we wish to call it.
    ----------
    SG (2)
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Damn fine idea, SG2, as always. Your blood, as they say, is worth bottling. Wouldn't hurt to lump together the various Tips For MP Newbies (including the need for ICQ, etc) threads and adding to the list.

------------------
    finbar
    Mono Rules!
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Are the Posters on this Forum just too cool and creative, or what! Wonderful, splendid idea!!! Hmmmm....it would need a dedicated vet-civ moderator....someone who really believes in the idea...someone to translate Brit slang...someone like...SCOUSE GITS and SCOUSE GITS 2! (you needed to replace the Prince title anyway!

Edit - add SG2 cause I didn't read the post carefully enough!
      ------------------
      "And now for something completely different..."
      - John Cleese
      [This message has been edited by MacUser (edited August 23, 2000).]
      "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

I think the rest of us were keeping our mouths shut until someone else was nominated for the job.

Great idea. The new sticky thread option will allow those types of loacked threads to be readily available in the "help" section of the forum.

Comment

Well, since I have experience and a good start on the task of building a distilled CivII reference thread, I'd have no problem volunteering to be the "Apolyton CivII Librarian." Certain catagories for the Library would be necessary to allow better presentation of the information. Topics such as OCC, ICS, SSC, The Space Race, Trade, PBEM, Cheats, etc would be a good beginning. Care must be taken in posting papers written by non-Apolytoners to ensure that credit is given where credit is due. I chose not to post a good paper on warfare entitled "Fire!" , because I could not track down the author to get his permission. I propose that the current Distilled Tips thread first be rewritten and better catagorized. Then suggestions gathered for other topics to be added in the Library. A draft can then be written for new submissions and the draft posted and reviewed prior to its insertion into the Library. I have bumped the Distilled Tips thread so it can be more easily reviewed. Any other suggestions or comments?

Comment

I will bring the idea to MarkG and DanQ and see what they think. Maybe the Civ Help Forum is the right place, or maybe a dedicated forum under the Civ Section would work also. I'll see what they think.

Heck, I'll even update my cheat write up for inclusion

------------------
            Ming
            CivII & Off-Topic Forum Moderator
            Ming@Apolyton.net
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Edit - this paper is not in the Apolyton hints and tips section...my bad! I'll try to rewrite it anyway or maybe just post parts of it on this board for critique.

inca911 - the Fire! paper is already available (wrong!) in the Apolyton long tips section - but it is so rife with errors and bad strategy that it really needs to be re-written. I am bored at work today, maybe I can have a go. That whole section, by the way, has a bunch of really bad strategy pieces, maybe we should just re-write all of them or look to publish our finished result there as an accurate piece. Or at least add reviews or comments on their errors...
              [This message has been edited by Sten Sture (edited August 25, 2000).]
              Be the bid!

Comment

Thanks Ming! I too believe that this really needs doing and will volunteer for some light work if that helps.

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor

Comment

Excellent idea SG,

BTW The "Fire" paper was written by Marc Fisher.
                  The original e-mail adress I found is mfisher@mail.cjnetworks.com.
                  I don't know if he still uses this adress

------------------
                  Adopt, Adapt and Improve
                  Adopt, Adapt and Improve

Comment

Against the AI, you can do a lot more than you can against a real person
                    Keep on Civin'

Comment

That's because they are so dumb.
                      quote:

the evil ai despot

BTW, Ming, is this a sticky thread? If not, please make it one.
                      By the way, I love the smily. That's why I use it so much.
                      [This message has been edited by SilverDragon (edited August 26, 2000).]

Comment

I have a mini-strategy that might be useful.
                        1. You attack an ai.
                        2. Once you conquer a city, they ask for a treaty, and you accept. Then, on their turn, they can't attack you. (unless they sneak attack, which they usually don't do until 3 or 4 turns into the treaty.)
                        3. Then, on your turn, you demand things, and ask them to withdraw troops. They declare war, you attack, and conquer a city.
                        4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until the evil ai despot is vanquished.
                        [This message has been edited by SilverDragon (edited August 26, 2000).]

Comment

sounds wonderfull!

feel free to do it!
                          just tell me what you'll need from me...

Comment

Thanks Mark!

I think we need a section where we can have only locked threads - once the advice/wisdom has generally been agreed by the experienced players. (I can hear Ming saying "Case Closed!" - if you see what I mean!) If posters wish to submit a paper, they would first publish it on the Strategy Section for all to discuss the work.

My first thought was to use the Civ 2 Help section - which does not seem to have much traffic. However, you and Dan may think that a new Reference Section is a better idea. In short, we need a library to store the information.

Once this space is provided - we can start work.

These are only my thoughts. I am sure that those interested in the concept will add to the discussion.

Things are moving!

----------
                            SG (2)

Comment

Yeah... let's all discuss what might work best. Because once we "charge" ahead, it will be difficult to change.

So let's hear peoples ideas!!!!!!

(and thanks for your support MarkG)

------------------
                              Ming
                              CivII & Off-Topic Forum Moderator
                              Ming@Apolyton.net
                              Keep on Civin'

Comment

Working...
                              X