Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Lone Engineer at Work (started by Gastrifidis, stolen by SlowThinker)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

William is correct

Comment

Then why does it take longer to reforest a plains square than a grassland square?

Comment

Actually there maybe an easier way to use more than two settlers/enginners. The idea comes from here:
        Look at the last post by Harlan

I have not tested it but I think it will work this way:
        Move settlers/engineers to the squares they want to work and press 'W' to let them wait;
        Move all other units first and press 'S' to sentry them if they still have move points left at the end of their turn;
        Now select a square and let the settlers/engineers work. The first square won't change immediately (if it requires more than 2 units to finish) but the second and all squares after will (thus you should choose your first square carefully, building a road is a good choice, for example).
        There may be a way to get the first square work as well. If I have time I'll test it.
        -- [edit: tested it. Seems that it only works if the settlers hasn't been moved. Hence it takes one turn to move the settlers there, then you can finish the job within the next turn if you have enough settlers. The first square will work as well. the trick here is 'never use mouse');

Another related hint: if you move a settler on road/river, you can move it two squares then let it work (mining) to accumulate work 'experience'. This will save you time. For example, I did that in 'Lord of Rings' scenario and moved my dwarves that way. When the dwarves reached the enemy city, an instant fortress was built right next to it and my units got protection.

[This message has been edited by Xin Yu (edited March 22, 2001).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Xin Yu on 03-22-2001 12:37 PM
          I have not tested it but I think it will work this way:
          Move settlers/engineers to the squares they want to work and press 'W' to let them wait;
          Move all other units first and press 'S' to sentry them if they still have move points left at the end of their turn;
          Now select a square and let the settlers/engineers work. The first square won't change immediately (if it requires more than 2 units to finish) but the second and all squares after will (thus you should choose your first square carefully, building a road is a good choice, for example).
          There may be a way to get the first square work as well. If I have time I'll test it.
          -- [edit: tested it. Seems that it only works if the settlers hasn't been moved. Hence it takes one turn to move the settlers there, then you can finish the job within the next turn if you have enough settlers. The first square will work as well. the trick here is 'never use mouse');

Does this work also in the situation where those (multiple) settlers need more that one turn to finish their work. I mean, if you haven't got enough settlers for example to build a mine on a hill in one turn?

(edit: typo)

[This message has been edited by Marko Polo (edited March 23, 2001).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Gastrifitis on 03-22-2001 10:43 PM
            Then why does it take longer to reforest a plains square than a grassland square?

a) Building Fortress ('f') and Airbase ('e') requires the same number of turns on all terrain types (4 settler turns or 2 engineer turns).
            b) Irrigating/farming ('i') and Minging ('m') requires the 'base' turns specified in rules.txt. Terrain factor is not considered (in a sense it is already considered), and I don't think river matters.
            c) Building road/railroad ('r') requires the same numbers of 'base' turns (2 settler/1 engineer) modified by defense bonus of terrain and river.
            d) transforming terrain ('o') (engineer only) requires the same numbers of 'base' turns, modified by defense bonus of terrain and river. The base can be modified in the first section of rules.txt. It is 20 settler/ 10 engineer turns but only engineers can perform.
            --[edit]: Clean pollution ('p') follows rule a). Railroads requires longer (double?) base turns than roads.

In rules.txt: mining grass, 10 turns; mining plain, 15 turns. Hence it takes an engineer (x2 working rate) 5 turns to mine a grass to forest, 8 turns to mine a plain to forest.

[This message has been edited by Xin Yu (edited March 23, 2001).]

Comment

[QUOTE]
              I tried couple of tests:
              1. Units don't rotate, they are arranged into a line. "Normally" you go through this line to one edge, you "rebound" back, you return to the second edge and so on.
              2.If you end the turn, you start new turn with last active unit (I will call it A next) flashing, then you go to one edge (usually against the direction of last turn, but it is not a rule), then you jump back to A, skip it and go to the second edge. Then you continue "normally".
              3.If you click a unit that is not active, then the process is ussually interrupted only: it continues normally after giving an order to the unit. But it is not a rule.
              4.If you set an order to a settler then things may stop work "normally".
              [QUOTE]

Say you attack a city with a bomber, and next to that city you have a rifleman that hasn't moved yet this turn. That rifleman will move when you're done with the bomber because it's closest to where the bomber ended its turn.

Comment

skywalker,
                thank you for elucidation. I was stupid. I tested it about a half of hour and I didn't see it.
                So the rule is:
                1. The first activated unit is the unit that finished the last turn.
                2. If a unit finishes his turn on a given square then the civ program search for the "closest" unit from that square and activate it.

The question is what means "closest"? Sometimes a diagonally adjacent square ("civ distance"=1.5) is prefered under a directly adjacent square ("civ distance"=1).
                And which unit is chosen if more than one unit are "closest"?

Xin Yu,
                you are not right:
                quote:

Originally posted by SlowThinker on February 09, 2001 17:46
                3* Build a fortress on grassland/plains/desert/tundra
                4* Build a fortress on other squares

Numbers are related to a settler.

Xin Yu, thank you to serve as an example:
                ------------------------------
                All knowledge stored at Apolyton must be sorted!
                You see: even a legend claims false statements. We need the Great Library!

[This message has been edited by SlowThinker (edited March 25, 2001).]
                Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

Xin is not a legend anymore since he has made a lot of mistakes, especially recently. This is all because of love, I guess.

Comment

Xin Yu:

To er is human.

And there is nothing wrong with being human.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Xin Yu on 03-25-2001 07:58 PM
                      This is all because of love, I guess.

Discussing this thoroughly would probably be off topic .
                      May I say that many of us love this game, and therefore love your way of 'slow thinking' about it.

------------------
                      aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental
                      Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by SlowThinker on 03-25-2001 07:53 PM

So the rule is:
                        1. The first activated unit is the unit that finished the last turn.
                        2. If a unit finishes his turn on a given square then the civ program search for the "closest" unit from that square and activate it.

The question is what means "closest"? Sometimes a diagonally adjacent square ("civ distance"=1.5) is prefered under a directly adjacent square ("civ distance"=1).
                        And which unit is chosen if more than one unit are "closest"?

Results 1 and 2 correspond to my own experience (thank you skywalker).
                        Shall we reopen our labs to test 'closest'?
                        (I suggest that we ask the SGs, since I'm busy trying to get good results with Mr Delanoe ).

------------------
                        aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental
                        Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Not sure that I buy 'closest' - I suspect next in the list (reverse of last turn - some programmers never get the hang of writing link-lists properly) that is on the current screen ...

------------------
                          Scouse Git[1]

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
                          "The Great Library must be built!"
                          "A short cut has to be challenging,
                          were it not so it would be 'the way'."
                          - Paul Craven
                          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

SG(1),
                            buy it, it's not expensive.
                            quote:

Originally posted by SlowThinker
                            ...Units don't rotate, they are arranged into a line.

read skywalker's post, he explained I was wrong. I did a short test (La Fayette, I am lazy to continue) and I agree with him.
                            Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

Working...
                            X