Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Lone Engineer at Work (started by Gastrifidis, stolen by SlowThinker)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 03-15-2001 11:39 AM
    Originally posted by La Fayette on 03-15-2001 10:18 AM
    BTW has anyone established a list summing up the results of transforming special squares (such as irrigating a pheasant and getting a buffalo)?

rather than ask that the testing laboratories of Albi or Praha be reactivated (considering the number of innocent young spies that have died for the true cause in those laboratories - they probably have 'War Grave' status) ...
    All of these young and highly desirable young spies certainly deserve 'War Grave' status (never mind, I tell you a secret: one of them is buried under the Arc de Triomphe and named 'soldat inconnu').

ST
    Thank you for the link.(I was about to re-open my lab and do some more testing; I confess it's more fun playing, especially when it is a test game as Jospin, revered leader of the french, to try and find out whether he also gets some techs as gifts, just alike Thatchy did last week).
    Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

LaFayette - The list is as follows:

whale, wheat, oil, silk, wine, iron, furs, spice and bananas are in one group, the special appearing depending on the terrain type.

fish, buffalo, oasis, pheasant, coal, gold, game, ivory, peat and gems are in the other group, the special appearing depending on the terrain type.

If the terrain is grassland, the special disappears, which is why a special can sometimes pop up in a grassland square that has been transformed into another terrain type.

Comment

OK, since no one else volunteered to answer to my question, I'll do it myself!

quote:

Originally posted by Marko_Polo on 03-16-2001 08:59 AM
      Does someone know how this Xin's trick of getting more than two engineers/settlers work at the same square works? It would be very useful in OCC games if you have for example two settlers and one engineer and want to clear pollution during one turn.

Also transforming a mountain to a hill quickly would be nice..

Here is the link to Xin Yu's trick of multiple engineers doing transforming in one turn:

A scroll of Xin's inexhaustible wisdom

quote:

Btw, is there any way to create mountains? A gold mountain would be cool to have sometimes in OCC.

AFAIK: no, there isn't.

(edit: typo)

[This message has been edited by Marko_Polo (edited March 17, 2001).]

Comment

Monsieur La Fayette, I think you're quite right. IIRC, I was "correcting" William Keenan's original statement that transformation took 20 settler turns. (He's now corrected that post, so I'm not positive that's what it first said.) And in my haste, I added my own error. Should be 20 engineer turns, not possible for settlers.

Comment

quote:

Here is the link to Xin Yu's trick of multiple engineers doing transforming in one turn

When Xin Yu explained this to me, the first thing I thought was...
          "now how in hell did he figure this one out" Think about it
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by solo on 03-16-2001 08:59 PM

whale, wheat, oil, silk, wine, iron, furs, spice and bananas are in one group, the special appearing depending on the terrain type.

fish, buffalo, oasis, pheasant, coal, gold, game, ivory, peat and gems are in the other group, the special appearing depending on the terrain type.

Short, clear and simple.
            I keep it in mind.
            Thank you.

Comment

Solo
              Not so simple as it seems at first sight (I found out why: you did not mention that oil can be encountered either on desert or glacier tiles).

Comment

Still simple. Whatever the terrain, if you transform a special, there's only one special for the corresponding terrain in the other group. Note that pheasant = game, so although there are nine in one list and ten in the other, they really do match up.

On second thought, what's the alternate special on glacier? I guess there is none.
                [This message has been edited by debeest (edited March 21, 2001).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by debeest on 03-21-2001 11:55 AM
                  On second thought, what's the alternate special on glacier? I guess there is none.
                  [This message has been edited by debeest (edited March 21, 2001).]

Glacier can be Oil or Ivory.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by solo on 03-16-2001 08:59 PM
                    If the terrain is grassland, the special disappears, which is why a special can sometimes pop up in a grassland square that has been transformed into another terrain type.

Not exactly. Grassland squares with a special "hidden" under them always have a shield. Shield grass has a pattern separate from the special terrain pattern. If you find shield grass that is outside the normal pattern but does fall into the special pattern, you can bet your bottom dollar that changing the terrain will uncover a special.

Comment

...and there are hidden specials to be found from some non-shield grassland tiles as well.
                      --------------
                      SG(2)
                      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Don't forget that huts are always two squares orthogonally from a special - if no visible special fits your hut there will be a hidden one - this + the special pattern itself makes finding some hidden specials dead easy ...

------------------
                        Scouse Git[1]

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
                        "The Great Library must be built!"
                        "A short cut has to be challenging,
                        were it not so it would be 'the way'."
                        - Paul Craven
                        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Quick note: turns required for settler/engineer work are based on defense bonus, not move cost.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Xin Yu on 03-22-2001 01:19 PM
                            Quick note: turns required for settler/engineer work are based on defense bonus, not move cost.

I assume by defense bonus you mean the listed defense number of the unit, not the actual defense bonus which can be affected by veteran status.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Gastrifitis on 03-22-2001 03:21 PM
                              I assume by defense bonus you mean the listed defense number of the unit, not the actual defense bonus which can be affected by veteran status.

I believe he means the defensive bonus of the terrain. For example it takes longer to build a road on a plains square with a river then without.

Comment

• Working...
                                X