Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Lone Engineer at Work (started by Gastrifidis, stolen by SlowThinker)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, let's put some things in order.

First of all, I really was just kidding about the theft. I was incredibly pleased to see my little contribution get its own thread started by someone else. I'm sure a discussion about diplomats and spies deserves to be treated similarly.

Second, I ignored arrival time on purpose. The idea behind my post originally was to explore getting from A to B in terrain type, (forest to grassland) and compare one-step to two-step processes. For this explanation, I needed to focus on what happened after the Engineer got there, not how long it took to arrive. But, obviously, arrival time can eat an Engineer's life too.

Last, I should explain how I got my info. I created a map with an array of each terrain type, enough of each to test each thing you can do to a square (I thought). Then I started a game on it, and turned on cheat. I gave myself each Engineer technology, then put an Engineer on each square, and roads and pollution as necessary. ( I had to stagger pollution, or terrain would have changed.) Then I put them to work, and observed how many turns it took from 4000 BC. The only thing I forgot to do was farmland; I thought I remembered it took as long as irrigation. But Theben may be right, maybe it takes 2 turns. I'll have to retest. If you want to try this, you don't have to do so many river squares; I'm positive that only roads and railroads are affected.

Comment

Right, five settler turns or 2.5 (3) engineer turns to upgrade to farmland.

Right, normally only two units can work a square productively at once (although the game won't tell you you're wasting your time by adding more).

SlowThinker, your English may not be perfect, but your thinking appears to be excellent. If anyone complains, tell 'em you'll only accept complaints in Czech.

Comment

The amount of time required to irrigate or mine any given terrain square is listed in the @TERRAIN section of the rules.txt file.

Desert: Irrigate 5 turns, Mine 5 tuns
        Plains: Irrigate 5 turns, Change to Forest 15 turns
        Grassland: Irrigate 5 turns, Change to Forest 10 turns
        Forest: Change to Plains 5 turns
        Hills: Irrigate 10 turns, Mine 10 tuns
        Mountains: Mine 10 tuns
        Tundra: Irrigate 10 turns
        Glacier: Mine 15 tuns
        Swamp: Change to Grassland 15 turns, Change to Forest 15 turns
        Jungle: Change to Grassland 15 turns, Change to Forest 15 turns

Upgrading Irrigation to Framland requires the same amount of time as irrigation.

Transforming all terrain types requires 20 turns for engineers.
        [This message has been edited by William Keenan (edited February 21, 2001).]

Comment

A new slowthinker's theft:

posted by
          rah
          King
          Ferretown CST
          b.02-15-99
          to Civ2-Strategy: damn, deity is hard (Page 1)

"P.S. Sometimes when you tell a settler or engineer to stop work they do so at once and you can move them in the same turn. More commonly they stop work that turn but can't be moved til the next (hence the OCC debacle). I'd be interested if anyone has a view on what determines the difference."

It's very simple. It's the order of movement. If you notice early in the game, with two settlers. Settler A flashes to move first then Settler B moves. The next turn the order is reversed, Settler B then A. If the settler that is working has already cycled, his turn has been used to continue working. If you click on him before his turn in the rotation, you may move him.

As long as the settler isn't first in the rotation for the turn. If you click on him as the turn starts, you will always be able to move him. You may artifically change the order by going to into a city screen at the end of your turn (or in between turns in MP, or during the building announcements at the beginning of a turn) and activate a unit. That unit will jump to the top of the rotation at the beginning of the turn. Now before you move that unit, click on the settler. You will be able to move him.

RAH
          Also a good way to cancel go-to commands when taking over for an AI in a MP game.
          Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

rah,
            quote:

<font size=1>Originally posted by rah on 02-14-2001 01:48 PM</font>
            As long as the settler isn't first in the rotation for the turn. If you click on him as the turn starts, you will always be able to move him.

I didn't know you may "awake" the settler in the same turn. But you may "awake" the settler one turn in advance too (by clicking on him). But then, he don't get to the top.

I tried couple of tests:
            1. Units don't rotate, they are arranged into a line. "Normally" you go through this line to one edge, you "rebound" back, you return to the second edge and so on.
            2.If you end the turn, you start new turn with last active unit (I will call it A next) flashing, then you go to one edge (usually against the direction of last turn, but it is not a rule), then you jump back to A, skip it and go to the second edge. Then you continue "normally".
            3.If you click a unit that is not active, then the process is ussually interrupted only: it continues normally after giving an order to the unit. But it is not a rule.
            4.If you set an order to a settler then things may stop work "normally".

Sentences "But it is not a rule" mean I don't know how it works.
            [This message has been edited by SlowThinker (edited February 14, 2001).]

Comment

Mr. Keenan: transformation actually takes 40 settler turns or 20 engineer turns, yes?

Comment

Only for Glaciers and Mountains AFAIK.
                Otherwise it's half. Two Engineers can change grassland into hills in only 5 turns, very helpful in OCC games!

------------------
                If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
                A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
                Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by debeest on 02-21-2001 12:38 AM
                  Mr. Keenan: transformation actually takes 40 settler turns or 20 engineer turns, yes?

Yes debeest, you are right. I was mistaken.
                  Thank you for noticing that. I will correct it.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by SlowThinker on 02-09-2001 05:44 PM
                    You can even make squares transform to ocean and back. Such a command would cost an Engineer or a ship every time it was carried out, but might be worth it anyway.

I experimented with this but couldn't get it to work. I edited Rules.txt so ocean could be changed to swamp. When I went into the game, the "transform" command then appeared on the menu, but when I tried to use it I got the message: "That function cannot be performed here."

The way I tried to use it was by putting an Engineer on a boat, activating him, and then choosing the transform command. There was no other way to get him onto the ocean square, and I couldn't leave him there and move the boat away.

What's the trick to make this work?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by debeest on 02-21-2001 12:38 AM

Are your settlers able to transform terrain?

------------------
                      aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental
                      Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

My settlers can irrigate and mine (which can sometimes transform the terrain, for example irrigating a forest means transforming it to plains).
                        They cannot transform (for example turn grassland to hill). Can yours do that, debeest?

BTW has anyone established a list summing up the results of transforming special squares (such as irrigating a pheasant and getting a buffalo)?

Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by La Fayette on 03-15-2001 10:18 AM
                          BTW has anyone established a list summing up the results of transforming special squares (such as irrigating a pheasant and getting a buffalo)?

IIRC is this info not on the Civilization Poster that comes with the game? If not it has certainly been given on these threads somewhere -- It is a small piece of research that I shall undertake if required - rather than ask that the testing laboratories of Albi or Praha be reactivated (considering the number of innocent young spies that have died for the true cause in those laboratories - they probably have 'War Grave' status) ...

------------------
                          Scouse Git[1]

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
                          "The Great Library must be built!"
                          "A short cut has to be challenging,
                          were it not so it would be 'the way'."
                          - Paul Craven
                          [This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited March 15, 2001).]
                          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by La Fayette on 03-15-2001 10:18 AM

Inca's thread "Distilled Civ Tips and Notes (Page 1)" http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum3/HTML/000880.html?76
                            Sten Sture's answer posted January 13, 2000 17:05

------------------
                            All knowledge stored at Apolyton must be sorted!

Comment

To determine what will result from your alteration of a special, simply peek at the terrain1.gif file. A special always remains in the same column, regardless of the terrain type. This is good to know if you have a particular special you wish to create.

------------------
                              "There is no fortress impregnable to an ass laden with gold."
                              -Philip of Macedon
                              The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
                              intelligence to few.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 02-09-2001 06:54 PM
                                Our two ha'p'orth - only two Settlers/Engineers can normally act on a single square - however, Xin has (amongst his many wise offerings to this forum) demonstrated that you can, by careful micromanagement) get as many active Engineer type units working full belt upon any one square as you like - given a little more time I could dig out a reference, but I fear at this moment our time is limited - I have a curfew (SG[1]) my lady will tear off my bits if I am too late!

Does someone know how this Xin's trick of getting more than two engineers/settlers work at the same square works? It would be very useful in OCC games if you have for example two settlers and one engineer and want to clear pollution during one turn.

Also transforming a mountain to a hill quickly would be nice..

Btw, is there any way to create mountains? A gold mountain would be cool to have sometimes in OCC.

Comment

Working...
                                X