• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats!!. Excelent job.

Comment

SGs: Is this on diety?

Comment

Yes. I think that was reported back in the introductory post.

------------------
        Founder, ACS Pedantry Institute
        Founder, ACS Gourmet Recipe Exchange
        Troll & Hydey Wrangler
        Mono Rules!
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Great work!

Comment

. Does the apparent haaicaping for bad terrain at the intitial placement point (by extra tech) seem to be relative only to that map's terrain, or to all possible terrains? To be more specific, would a civ staring on glacier and tundra on a cold dry world world tend to get less tech than one starting on galcier and tundra on a wet temperate world?
            . I recognise that the sample discribe above (standard large etc map) does not supply that data but does any one have a feel for whether bad overall maps generate more tech for all civs?

------------------
            Gauis Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
            Pontificator Pendanticus
            older richer & wiser than you
            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
            Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
            "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
            From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Seems to me the process is pretty erratic. I've started on islands 10 squares x 3 squares without a single bonus tech. I've started on perfectly reasonable terrain with no other civ within cooee and received techs. The time I created a miniature map and started on the Antarctic circle, I only received 2 or 3 techs. I'm coming to the view that ignorance is bliss.

------------------
              Founder, ACS Pedantry Institute
              Founder, ACS Gourmet Recipe Exchange
              Troll & Hydey Wrangler
              Mono Rules!
              " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
              "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Scouse Gits:

My comments echo those of others on this thread — excellent job! There's a lot of information to digest as well and ...

***THUNK***

(Passes out from information overload.)

CYBERAmazon
                "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

I almost always play as the americans and i'm sure i've started with map making, which doesn't fit into your results above. i don't have any saves to prove it though.

Comment

DD - I am not surprised if there are very rare times when a civ gets a tech that didn't show up on SG's test.

Comment

In my early days playing the game, I thought I received Map Making more than the above research suggests. However, that was at a level around Warlord/Prince. I don't know if levels below Deity offer more starting techs - it would take a lot of testing to find out!
                      ---------
                      SG (2)
                      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

reading this thread I am thinking about two things:

1. could it be that the techs you get from huts are also influenced by the civilize factor (or whatever we call this factor)?
                        2. and even more important. does the civilize factor influence the techs you´re allowed to research?

if the answer to those questions is yes, then this is really a breakthrough.

concerning map making, as a multiplayer who prefers 2x2x settings, the dream tech path for the beginning would be map making->pottery->seafaring (explorers). however I don´t even try going this path since I know I won´t ever get it early enough. especially map making seems to be too hard to get in the beginning.

anyway, good job SG
                        justice is might

Comment

Yes - the thought crossed our minds that the advances from huts could be influenced by the type of civ being played.

There is no evidence for this - about a couple of hundred tests were made. All techs seemed equally available provided the prerequisites existed. From Turn One all tribes appear to have equal chances in the game. We didn't investigate the availabilty of techs for research.

The pattern of starting techs has a system of checks and balances. Masonry (for the conquerors' Great Wall) is available far more often to the civilised nations. Whilst Bronze (for the Perfectionists' Colossus) is more usually offered to the warlike tribes. (Though it is the most frequent advance given for all civs.)

-------------

SG (2)
                          [This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited November 29, 2000).]
                          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I have one word for this... absolutely incredible!! Okay, two words. But it is incredible!!

------------------
                            Frodo lives!
                            Frodo lives!

Comment

Re: The techs you get from huts: There are certainly some variations on this as well. The trouble is pinpointing what determines it and what conditions rule out certain techs. I have no clue on how to begin testing for this.

But I had a first last night: I got Sanitation from a hut in the early midgame (and just as I'd started researching it myself ). Now I know you can't get techs beyond Invention from huts, but still, this was the first time I can think of that I got Sanitation. And I must've played thousands of games - always as the Romans BTW.

Comment

errr, sorry leg, but sanitation doesn´t need invention as prereqisite. as for example navigation, magnetism, or chemistry doesn´t either.
                                justice is might

Comment

Working...
                                X