No announcement yet.

What is your favorite special ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One time I had three cities by the second turn, thanks to a river and a goody hut. That same game I also got a lot of free techs because I started close to the Vikings. I crushed them of course; why does the computer think this is a disadvantage?

You have to terraform terrain to get rivers through hills. It's worth it for perfectionists, however. In the right circumstances, a fully improved rivered coal can give 7 production and 6 trade.
    [This message has been edited by Richard Bruns (edited November 14, 2000).]

Comment

I recently encountered a river on a hill. I hadn't terraformed anything -- I rarely do. Sure caught me by surprise; I don't think I'd seen one before. So I guess it can happen, and it makes a pretty nice square.

Comment

I,ve read once ortwice of a rivered mountain - can't remeber whether it was said to have occurred naturally but one reference was to rivered gold so I suspect it was some effect of terraforming.

Love to see it tho'. Always love it when something crops up in a game that I've not seen before. OCC is good for that.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Richard Bruns on 11-14-2000 06:11 PM
          You have to terraform terrain to get rivers through hills. It's worth it for perfectionists, however. In the right circumstances, a fully improved rivered coal can give 7 production and 6 trade.

I don't think I've ever noticed this as an option. This opens up tons of possibilities. Thanks.

------------------
          Frodo lives!
          Frodo lives!

Comment

Actually, I find that rivers are most helpful on squares that normally proviede no trade, like hills or forests. The river giving trade means that republic or democracy and colossus will each give another arrow when they wouldn't before. Also, roads on river squares will always add a trade. So the river essentially adds three to six arrows when on a non-trade terrain, and only one when on a trade terrain. A rivered coal would IMO be better than a rivered gold.

Comment

Can't terraform to mountains. But terraforming river squares to hills never even occurred to me. I love this forum! A rivered gold square would be literally "gilding the lily."
              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Richard Bruns on 11-14-2000 06:11 PM

Please explain to me the 6 trade arrows. Two for the rivers, one more for a road, and one more with superhighways. It's only with the Colossus that you would reach 6. Is that what you meant, or is there another way ?

------------------
                Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
                Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

Yes, you need colossus and superhighways to get the six trade. One for river, one for road, one for government, one for colossus, and add 50% with superhighways to get six. The colossus makes the difference betwen 4 and 6.

Comment

The lack of a trade arrow explains the pheasant's lack of popularity in this thread. But (as I think another poster mentioned here or elsewhere) add a river and it's a different story. Not only do you get one arrow straight away but road, higher form of gov.t and superhighways all have that base arrow to bite on.

In such a case, give me pheasant to dine upon and I'm happy!

Building on a rivered pheasant early is good. You get the second trade arrow from the automatic road on the city's home square - all those shields get the city off to a flying start (with an automatic extra shield to come when railroad is researched) and the defence bonus of the river and the forest is aggregated so the city is very defensible. Great stuff!!

By the way, I can never resist a quick deviation from my research path when bridge building becomes an option. There is usually a lot to be done at that stage in the game so I'm not sure that this is always the optimal choice - but I just love getting the settlers to work on those river bridges. I've usually got some domestic trade routes in place to cities working river squares by then and one or two extra trade arrows will soon get those routes paying off with another arrow or two - and at both ends of the route.

Just gotta agree that the river is special. And a rivered special is extra special!

What a pity you can't get a rivered whale!!!

Comment

An interesting possibility just popped into my head. With all the talk about terraforming, what if...

you terraformed an oil-producing desert square to a mountain and then built a mine? Would you still have the oil? How many shields would this puppy produce? Wow!

------------------
                      Frodo lives!
                      Frodo lives!

Comment

if you terraform the desert you lose the oil. you can just mine the oil to boost production.

[This message has been edited by ColdWizard (edited November 17, 2000).]
                        Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Interesting. I'll have to try this tonight. Thanks.

------------------
                          Frodo lives!
                          Frodo lives!

Comment

On 2x I like Seals the most. I always colonize the artic.

Comment

Yes, rivered pheasants are good. You can often mine rivered grasland into a rivered pheasant.

Oil is good because you can get 7 shields and some trade. Coal gives a food and 7 shields, but no trade.

Comment

To irrigate Pheasant/r into Buffalo/r is still one shield plus one arrow better though, with equal food (after farmland).

If you wish, you can also transform the Pheasant/r or Buffalo/r into Grassland(s)/r and then Coal/r.

------------------
                                If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
                                A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
                                Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

Working...
                                X