No announcement yet.

What is your favorite special ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For my OCC leanings, it's got to be rivered-silk as well. But I definitely prefer gold for the second special - just wish you could squeeze some food from it though.

Comment

I fall out of my chair when I see the grapes/hill; whale/ocean and grain/plains. Good production, plenty of food (but not too much if only a few plains squares)

The Silk is real good on the river square! I would agree with that!
      Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

I just LOVE wine. Combines food, production and trade. Its directly my second favourite special after whale. Whale is only good for a nice start. For bigger cities I prefer wine, gold and iron/coal.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Chainsaw on 11-11-2000 06:07 AM
          I just LOVE wine. Combines food, production and trade. Its directly my second favourite special after whale. Whale is only good for a nice start. For bigger cities I prefer wine, gold and iron/coal.

Yep. Wine and Whales are my favorite in the early game, later, Gold and Whales.

Comment

da smokes favourites are
            1>whales-benefits allaround growth and since its in the ocean, enemiy can't block access to it
            2>fishes-food boost= in the ocean
            "our words are backed by nuclear weapons"
            "oh, yeah. well, our nukes are backed by 100%money back guarantee, so there."

Comment

I like whales and fish in 1x1x games, and whales in other games best for overall development. After that, I like to find silk, peat, wine, and gold.

I don't mind imbalance; I go for total number of assets on the idea that I will gain from them in the long-run if not the short-term.. I'll do the managing to get what I need from them. The more total numbers I can get pay off eventually. And I have been enjoying building *ON* resources, lately.

I don't do too much terrain-changing, but I will certainly consider creating a river-silk square, etc, when I have a surplus of engineers.

------------------
              Proud participant in GameLeague...

Proud Warrior of the O.W.L. Alliance...
              [This message has been edited by cavebear (edited November 11, 2000).]
              Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
              Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
              Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
              Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola on 11-10-2000 03:20 PM
                . I have heard that is is posiible to have 5 specials at the Colunm 0 seam in the map becuase of an incomplete pattern.

I don't think this is possible. I've looked for it and did not find it. And never got any proof. It is some Loch Ness monster type of story.
                See this thread for more informations : http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum5/HTML/000542.html?21

------------------
                Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
                Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

Whales are always my favourite. Food, trade and shields - the essentials for the game. Great early on as in despotism only one trade icon is lost.
                  I like mining coal, wine, gold, iron or coal and then building with a second settler before the mine is complete. Small ICS cities really pull their weight!
                  ------------
                  SG (2)
                  "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                  "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I actually think that the specials on forest and plains squares (Buffalo, Wheat, Silk, Pheasant) are quite underrated (bar silk, of course!). As they can be changed from one to the other to meet your cities needs(i.e Buffalo-Pheasant, Wheat-Silk and vice versa)
                    they are the most useful in that regard.

But whales are still my favourite!

BTW, does anyone know what you get when you transform or reforest grassland w/shield?

------------------
                    STEALTH FIGHTERS RULE!!!
                    STEALTH FIGHTERS RULE!!!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Bradiator on 11-12-2000 01:58 AMBTW, does anyone know what you get when you transform or reforest grassland w/shield?

Of course it has to be in a potential specialty location, but otherwise there is no way of knowing. It could be any of the two specials, or none.

------------------
                      If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
                      A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
                      Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

SPICE!! When built on you get a resourse, extra defense, + excellant growth & trade.
                        Gold is awesome too, and I allways love to have whales, but spice is my favorite.
                        The journey itself is the thing~Odysseus

Comment

Whales and Silk are the most balanced, for sure.
                          Wine is fine, too.

Comment

Re: Using 4 specials
                            If you use 4 specials in one city for long, you show foolish gluttony.
                            Two, at the most, should suffice.
                            You're giving away potential cities if you use all specials for one city.
                            IMO.

Comment

I think(THINK!!) that the pattern DaveV mentioned and showed us keeps on continuing like this pretty much throughout the whole map, except every now and then there will be a gap.

I also think that if you are going to be a perfectionist, you should DEFINITELY have 4 specials in one city radius. This is how I lay out my cities (with a square grid, you can't do iso in ASCII)so that they don't overlap...(S=Special, R=Radius, C=City)

|Srr
                              |rrrrS
                              |rrCrr
                              |Srrrr
                              r|rrS|rrr
                              rr | rrrSr
                              rr | rrCrr
                              rr | rrrrr
                              r | rSr

...Or something like that!(Damn ASCII art :mad

------------------
                              STEALTH FIGHTERS RULE!!!
                              STEALTH FIGHTERS RULE!!!

Comment

OOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!! It looked OK when I was typing it in!! (Ditto about the ASCII art :mad Hopefully you can decode that somehow, if not just email or ICQ me and I'll show you.

------------------
                                STEALTH FIGHTERS RULE!!!
                                STEALTH FIGHTERS RULE!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X