No announcement yet.

How do you stop a raging warmonger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're welcome! So what piece did you find most helpful? I personally find that pillaging can be especially effective in slowing an enemy. Scorched-earth really can work. What are your current challenges in this game?
    [This message has been edited by inca911 (edited September 12, 2000).]

Comment

Well I have concentrated on defence since this mega war started, building walls and fortresses, upgrading garrisons etc. He's taken 5 or 6 cities off me whilst I've been doing this. Now his war machine seems to be grinding to a halt. Ultimately if I win I think my production advantages will have been decisive. He seems to be making some effort to contest my naval superiority.

Btw, I don't agree with you on pillaging roads. We don't have engineers so roads are not quickly or easily repaired, particularly in contested areas. I don't fear attack and leave the roads open. I might want to use them myself down the track.

------------------
      Founder of the People's Republic of Topics (PROT)
      Convenor, Threadjacking Appreciation Society (TAS)
      Proprietor, Apolyton Tea Shop http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum19/H...tml?date=00:06

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by finbar on 08-15-2000 07:56 AM
        Prussians. Russians with a speech impediment.

LOL! or is it a pre-Russian?

AH your Magellans is an asset providing you have some ocean. The extra movement adds punch to the attack factor of your ships.

Of course you should NEVER trade maps

------------------
        The journey itself is the thing~Odysseus
        The journey itself is the thing~Odysseus

Comment

Actually as you know I'm always happy to trade maps - because I believe that I can always make better use of the map than my opponent.

My main cities are on an island so Magellans has come in quite handy - especially since I'm in fundy, which allows me to churn out the gunships (he he).

------------------
          Proprietor, Apolyton Tea Shop http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum19/H...tml?date=00:06

Comment

JOY! My opponent's strike force was ambushed in our session last night. The city he attacked, insignificant bait, was wiped out but then 8 of my ironclads moved in and destroyed all his transports and what remained of his invasion force. He lost about 30 units. Then I went over to the offensive elswhere.

Horse Akbar!

------------------
            [This message has been edited by Alexander's Horse (edited September 13, 2000).]

Comment

Yawn

I'll just keep destroying Horse cities with no city losses on my side, I think.
              Hold my girlfriend while I kiss your skis.

Comment

Damn, that'll work too

------------------

Comment

Update.

This game has turned into the biggest trenchwarfare type situation ever. The tech is stalled at cannons and riflemen. No engineers, and railroad has just been discovered by an AI.

Technology and situation heavily favours the defender with all cities now on hills, mountains or forests (terraformed for greater defence)

Most cities are heavily defended with veteran troops. occasionally a city on one side or the other falls. Strangely the size of the respective armies continues to increase.

Comment

I am a newbie at this stuff, and have encountered many warmongers in my games, at first they were all unbeatable to me, I was overwhelmed, their armies were crushing me everywhere, then I realized the only way to beat them....

The only way to defeat a warmonger, including a human is to frustrate them. War is only good in civ when it is fought well, and when wars are fought in frenzy in this game, it usually results in not only ignorance to other matters (money, tech etc...) but in huge mistakes, which cost them dearly. Defense is the first key, and as you said you cannot stop the onslaught defensivley because your cities are being destroyed. Put up a line of troops around your cities, when they are destroyed simply whip out your "Attackers" from the cities destroying the approaching men, if their guys are too strong and burst through your "border patrol" simply have a few attackers handy in the cities to cripple his attacks.

Veteran units are very underrated in this game, a veteran unit can withstand a lot of punishment, when I was playing in my first MP game, I had all of my muskets vets, they player was so astounded by how well they were standing up to his attacks that he thought I cheated. While you do this, you should really develop other areas, such as tech and money, if you are smarter and richer than he is the tide will turn in your favor. While he is still artillerizing your cities, and you are bombing his with paratroopers he can't do ****.
                    "Our cause is in the hands of fate. We can not guarantee success. But we can do something better; we can deserve it." -John Adams

One Love.

Comment

The Horse empire suffered setbacks in the last session, losing 3 cities in a makeo blitzkrieg

All 3 fought to the last and were completely wiped out. We thirst for revenge and have plenty of cash and troops

------------------
                      Fear Horse! The Scourge of Cant!

[This message has been edited by Alexander's Horse (edited October 22, 2000).]

Comment

NOW, what is everyon's advice to Makeo, the somewhat thwarted attacker? He should have a science advantage. How does he defend a spread out empire against an opponent with a rough unit parity, e.g., Makeo has more units, but he also has more cities to garrison. How does he maintain his momentum?
                        [This message has been edited by Blaupanzer (edited October 23, 2000).]
                        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Blaupanzer on 10-23-2000 11:43 AM
                          NOW, what is everyon's advice to Makeo, the somewhat thwarted attacker? He should have a science advantage. How does he defend a spread out empire against an opponent with a rough unit parity, e.g., Makeo has more units, but he also has more cities to garrison. How does he maintain his momentum?
                          [This message has been edited by Blaupanzer (edited October 23, 2000).]

From the what it sounds like, Makeo isn't expanding his empire, he's only shrinking Horse's. Guessing, I'd say that he has a 3-1 city advantage compared to the being even when this thread started. Also, AH probably just took a hit in income/science when the AI discovered railroad (if the HG city and its neighbors were celebrating) As long as Makeo continues to press the advantage, he'll probably catch any retaliation forces long before they reach his soil. Also, his war acadamy is still a long way from expiring, especially with tech stalled. Something to consider if the attacking forces get too big and the distance between the 2 continues to grow, would be building an outpost and placing spare troops in forts surrounding that outpost (assuming he hasn't done so already)

As for AH, I would think he really needs to get a retaliatory force where he can destroy sieging forces by taking the support city. No mention of Shakespeare's Theater directly, other than saying Makeo has the happiness wonders minus HG (which is expired) - if Makeo has it, AH's slow attrition of cities likely will continue.

------------------
                          Sleep is a luxury and I don't have Shakespeare's Theatre in my back yard.
                          Insert witty phrase here

Comment

This game is cool. The only game where these industrial era units have been used in a war situation.

Interesting last session. We had a fortified front, where horse had about 5 riflemen in a fort on trees which i captured with cannons. Next turn he built another fort on the next square down the road. I knew he would be planting trees so i had to take that fort immediately even though my military units were still resting from grabbing the previous fort. Horse did this a couple of times in a row, which was good play, but too late.

The lack of a decent attacking unit and the lack of engineers really adds something to the game. No insta-railroads. No jumping off a boat and creating an insta-fort. You really have to strategize.

After capturing some forts i avoided the city right on the front and attacked his city on hills, which was defended by 1 vet riflemen, two normal riflemen, some dragoons and a diplo. I captured this city, forting my attacking units and brought forward a settler and built an outpost city so that my units wouldn't unhappyatize me.

On Horse's next turn he tried to pillage the roads from my new city to his cities. Unfortunately for him i had a large number of settlers that could re-establish the railroads and i killed two more of his cities.

The session before that, he re-captured a city from me that was on his continent. It was bound to fall due to no reinforcements being able to get to it. This was due to both his superiority on the seas as well as him capturing my main canal to the ocean off his coast.

Railroad has changed the game significantly. Troop movement is so much easier. I'm not sure if this is a good thing, with respect to strategies. i.e. it makes it easier.

The casualties of this game stand at about 140 for horse and about 180 for me.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Makeo on 10-23-2000 07:01 PM
                              The casualties of this game stand at about 140 for horse and about 180 for me.

Heartless pair of bastards.

------------------
                              Founder, ACS Pedantry Institute
                              Founder, ACS Gourmet Recipe Exchange
                              Troll & Hydey Wrangler
                              Mono Rules!
                              " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                              "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Yeah the stats are makeo has 31 cities and I have 15. He has about 170 units and I have a 100. The unit ratio between the 2 sides didn't change in spite of my loss of 3 cities in the last session. I built Shakespeares recently, mainly to deny it to makeo. Its about 1870.

Interestingly I am half way to researching skii troops/cavalry so they will probably come into play before the game ends. makeo is researching magnetism but he's not putting any effort into it - he's been it researching for about 800 years

------------------
                                Its such a privilege to know you all.

I am honoured.
                                [This message has been edited by Alexander's Horse (edited October 23, 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                                X