How do you stop a raging warmonger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you stop a raging warmonger?

Okay, here's the situation. Your in a war with an opponent who has built up a mighty war machine rolling AI civs all over the globe. His armed forces are so powerful they can destroy your cities one by one by anhiliation, only the re-supply of diplos is slowing him down. You are even in techs and your army is strong enough to force him to destroy cities rather than capture them. But your army is not strong enough to counter attack. He has the happy wonders and Sun Tsu, you have the Statue, Magellan and Leo's. He's in democracy, your in fundy but with a good science rate - he's virtually stopped doing science because he's a war monger. You both have muskets, cannons, steam boats and cav. You are not industrialised, but that is around the corner. Cities wise, you have 15, he has 25. Its 1804.

How do you slow him down / stop him and seize the initiative? Should you concentrate on defending cities or push forces out to try and defeat him in the field?

Aren't you glad this is just a game

I see only 4 choices. Take his capital, throwing him into a civil war. If this is an AI opponent now you've got 2 to face, but one will usually make peace.
    If you don't want to go through this, because it's to hard, or not you style, or impossible then I would use you Iron Clads or best ship to patrol the coast along your cities and destroy oncoming units from the sea.
    Thirdly place offensive units in your cities and attack his units before they can attack your city.
    And lastly, if you have a LARGE amount of gold you can buy his empire from him.

Hope this helps you.

P.S. I'm in a game like this but it's 30 cities to my 7 and we are not even on tech or units. My navy consists of 2 triemes in 1947!!! But I'm hanging in there. But I know the Japanese will destroy the whole world unless I can cause civil war. They already cause a civil with the second largest civ and now has no competition. I'm like last or second last of 6. The game is on Diety too. Diffuculty level might influence your choice.

Good luck.

------------------
    "I'm too out of shape for a long fight so I'll have to kill you fast"
    "If the great Emperors of Rome, Egypt and Greece were alive today, do you think they would prefer Coke or Pepsi?"
    [This message has been edited by CornMaster (edited July 23, 2000).]
    I AM CANADIAN!
    Gamecatcher: Multiplayer Civ 2 Democracy Game
    CornEmpire Owner/Operator
    Grand Minister: Dominion of the Balance & CornEmpire Software

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by CornMaster on 07-23-2000 11:56 PM

My navy consists of 2 triemes in 1947!!!

(Jesus, and I thought I had problems)

Its a human opponent. Can you trigger civil war with human opponents? I've never seen that.

Comment

I'm pretty sure you can cause a Civil War against any opponent but I've only been able to do it against AI. Never tried MP. And only when I was at peace and then went to war. If I was already at war, no matter what the size of the empire I couldn't break it up.

------------------
        "I'm too out of shape for a long fight so I'll have to kill you fast"
        "If the great Emperors of Rome, Egypt and Greece were alive today, do you think they would prefer Coke or Pepsi?"
        I AM CANADIAN!
        Gamecatcher: Multiplayer Civ 2 Democracy Game
        CornEmpire Owner/Operator
        Grand Minister: Dominion of the Balance & CornEmpire Software

Comment

Walls

Barracks

Tactics

Boats

Many,many diplomats.Bribe every unit you can.Democracy?Scout and sabotage.Use them for stacking.

Use engineers to change city squares to forests.

Strategic fortresses.Kill anything that comes along.

The best defense is offensive.Get out and make Mak....er...them take losses on the way in.You need to get the fighting out of your backyard.

or surrender.
          The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Civil war doesn't occur with humans.
            City walls are a waste of money.
            Can't bribe someone who is in Democracy.
            I wish we had explosives.
            Hold my girlfriend while I kiss your skis.

Comment

Hey, Horse. You could refuse to let the warmonger use diplos to smuggle troops past your fortresses. Just a thought.

------------------
              finbar
              Mono Rules!
              " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
              "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Why don't you just Nuke his arse!!!!!! And if not, Why NOT?!?!?!?

Sorry, not very constructive am i!??! Maybe you could just beg for peace? Have you read The Art of War by Sun Tzu? it's got a few good pointers on how to wage war!!! Also if you quote Sun Tzu, maybe your opposition will just run scared?? just a thought...

"There are not more than 5 musical notes..." - Sun Tzu
                ...and we build an Academy for this guy... :confused:

Comment

AH, maybe you should have build your front-line cities on mountains
                  Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                  And notifying the next of kin
                  Once again...

Comment

Two radical defenses:

1. Use his senate against him. Offer peace. His senate may trip him up and force acceptance (why not, it always does me). Raise your relations to him to worshipfulness. Send caravans to a coastal city of his and dump them straight in whether there is needed trade or not. Keep offerring peace. If not accepted at first, make a mass attack on a position then offer it again. The senate is frightened easily.

2. Launch a suicide attack away from your common borders. Put enough on the first transport to make a credible showing, and have a few others with only one unit each right behind and visible to him. He can't tell how many are in each past the first unit. He may either get too aggressive on your front, or he may hesitate to protect his backside.
                    [This message has been edited by cavebear (edited July 24, 2000).]
                    Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                    Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                    Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                    Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Makeo on 07-24-2000 07:05 AM

City walls are a waste of money.

Or, how to disarm your opponent with bad advice

Comment

City walls are a waste of money against an attacking force loaded up with diplos. Walls provide a false sense of security. And against vet spies? Walls are a joke.

------------------
                        finbar
                        Mono Rules!
                        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

perhaps i should edit my stance on city walls. They are not a waste of money. They force an enemy to spend resources on building enough diplos to destroy them. But a prepared attacker will have enough diplos to destroy the walls.
                          So i guess walls are worth it.
                          Hold my girlfriend while I kiss your skis.

Comment

Can diplos be caught by other ones stationed in a city? Granted, a whole hoard of diplos will still get past a diplo or two in a city, but it could help waste a few, right? But yeah that's just another waste of resources, as you would be better off using the diplomats for some sort of espionage against enemy cities/units.

------------------
                            SandMonkey

"Shut up brain or I'll stab you with a qtip"
                            -Homer Simpson

"Ecky ecky ecky!"
                            "It's just a flesh wound!"
                            - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Check out my 1602 A.D. site

Comment

I disagree Diplos cost money, money which could be spent on units. They also need to be maintained, deployed, take up space on ships and are very vulnerable to attack. In other words forcing your opponent to build them has a high nuisance value.

Who are you trying to kid finbar? Strangely, in every game I've played with you I've had the pleasure to admire the pretty walls around your cities. Even stranger in this game makeo's cities are walled. Should follow your own advice if you believe in it makeo

Comment

Working...
                              X