Most Dumb AI Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This has happened more times that is reasonable:

Say you have a border with another civ (say, the French), and you amass a huge invasion force and park it right outside their closest city. Often to avoid the reputation penalty of a war of aggression I send an envoy and ask them to remove the units that are probably meandering around in my territory. And with a wave of death poised to crash about them should their response not thrill me, what do they say? "Blah, blah, blah...THIS MEANS WAR!" Well, they asked for it.
    "...it is possible, however unlikely, that they might find a weakness and exploit it." Commander Togge, SW:ANH

Comment

The Chinese found themselves at war with me after they had stolen a tech. I grabbed a couple of their cities, and next turn decided to check intelligence. Nine of their cities were building Sun Tzu's Academy - in wartime not a bad move - except that they forgot that my spaceship was now half way to AC!
      -----------
      SG(2)
      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Were you playing a no-wonder challenge?

Comment

No - nobody had built Sun Tzu. I didn't want it as I was aiming for a spaceship.
          ----------------
          SG (2)

Comment

Yeah, but you still should have vet units to guard your capital.

Comment

The Artificial Ignorance does seem to a nack for the big blunder...

I had a fortress built on a forrest that was 2 squares from an enemy city that I was preparing to assault. I was in the process of building up my forces and had 3 riflemen and an assortment of calvary and dragroons there (I think it was 8 total). The forest was on the shoreline....

Then an enemy fleet of destroyers, cruisers and one sub (7 total I think) shows up. Every one of them attacked my fortress... The result 7 ships sunk. Only minor damage to my troops.

I have no clue why the AI even tried that maneuver.

Comment

SD - I was far ahead of any competition. The best offensive units available to the AI were Crusaders and Ironclads.
                --------------
                SG (2)

Comment

But you do know that AI vet ironclads have had a history of beating riflemen, don't you?

Comment

I once fought a enemy that had 19!!!! Nukes in 1!! city, guarded by 1!!!! riflemen!(AND HE WASN'T EVEN VETERAN!)

Comment

SD - Vet Ironclads can deal with non-vet riflemen. However, the vet stealth fighters just may have had a small say in the matter!
                      ------------
                      SG (2)

Comment

How did you get stealth fighters before you had launched your ship? I never get stealth very quickly, b/c i make a bbeeline for SF and Superconductor.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by SilverDragon on 09-13-2000 06:37 PM
                          How did you get stealth fighters before you had launched your ship? I never get stealth very quickly, b/c i make a bbeeline for SF and Superconductor.

Stealth is often the first thing i research after fusion power in OCC. Depending on how quickly you get your ship built, it is quite easy to have stealth before launch. (i've had it shortly after the Apollo Program was built in some of the OCC games (non-senarios), leaving quite a few turns before launch). Since SG2 seems to have a multi-city empire, it would seem most prudent to build a stealth fighter in a city or 2 while other cities finish up the spaceship, as he probably isn't especially concerned about breaking Arii's launch record in this game

------------------
                          April Cantor: Sire, in order to expand further we must first gain favor of the King

SCG: darn, I've never really got the hang of that tribute thing, guess it will be a long time until i make prince

*goes off and starts gifting gold and techs*
                          Insert witty phrase here

Comment

This one happens to me in almost every game:
                            (please note: One of my goals for every game is a spotless reputation)
                            I am far ahead of everyone else in technology. I have an overwhelming military advantage. I discover Space Flight. Suddenly, all of the pathetic AI civs I have been tolerating send out their diplomats (or occasionally spies) to steal it. Now, I'm usually a nice guy, but this is intolerable. Of course, I declare war (after all, they were asking for it).I usually wipe out a couple of civilizations right then.
                            Then, when I discover the other two spaceship technologies, they do it again!

Murgatroyd
                            One year at Apolyton with the same username and location!

Comment

SD - My stealth fighters were built after launch - but even before that, there was no way anything was going to successfully attack my capital (city walls/coastal fortress). In addition, prior to launch, a vet battleship was on patrol.

SCG - It was a nice game. I play mainly on large random maps. This time I landed in 1573.

-------------
                              SG (2)

Comment

(Even though I'm new to this forum I've played Civ II for years. Finally got up the courage . . . )
                                Diplomats keep coming up here, and I think the AI is dumbest in this regard. I've seen an AI civ send diplo after diplo to steal techs even though I'm maxed to the hilt in techs and military power, and I've nearly wiped their civs out. Once a civ-the Egyptians, I think it was-had one measly city on one pathetic island and they were begging and begging for me to trade for techs. Sure enough, they sent a diplo over and tried to steal something. Well, sir, I had a lot of cruise missles to unload then . . .
                                Another dumb trick the AI plays-it tries to figure out where your biggest shipyard is and send destroyer after destroyer to blast it, even though you've just sent most of your navy to their side of the map at the same time to blow them to smithereens. The AI could be a little more intuitive, I think.
                                [This message has been edited by Longfistking (edited September 15, 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                                X