No announcement yet.

Distilled Civ Tips and Notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On another thread the discussion touched on the upgrades that Leonardo’s Workshop offers. I thought it might be useful to put this together as a reference. (Thanks for your guidance Dave V and Sten)

Leonardo’s Workshop can be built after you have discovered Invention. It expires when any civilisation has discovered the Automobile. This wonder upgrades obsolete units to modern ones, once you have made the relevant civilisation advance.

Land Units:

Warriors/Phalanx to Pikemen at Feudalism
    If Gunpowder is discovered before Feudalism these units become Musketeers.
    Pikemen/Archers/Legion to Musketeers at Gunpowder
    Musketeers to Riflemen at Conscription
    Explorers to Partisans at Guerrilla Warfare
    Settlers to Engineers at Explosives
    Diplomats to Spies at Espionage

Catapults to Canon at Metallurgy
    Canon to Artillery at Machine Tools
    Caravans to Freight at Corporation

Horsemen to Knights at Chivalry
    Chariots to Elephants at Polytheism
    Elephants to Crusaders at Monotheism
    (Or if you have Chivalry before Monotheism the Elephants become Knights)
    Crusaders and Knights to Dragoons at Leadership
    Dragoons to Cavalry at Tactics

Sea Units:

Trireme to Caravel at Navigation
    Caravel to Galleon at Magnetism
    Galleon to Transport at Industrialisation

Ironclads to Destroyers at Electricity
    Cruisers to AEGIS Cruisers at Rocketry

Air Units are not possible to upgrade as LW has expired by the time it is possible to research Stealth.

The Workshop will upgrade in stages, when you obtain another civilisation advance. For instance, if you bribe a Crusader, the next advance you discover will make it a Dragoon, and the following advance will make it Cavalry. (Assuming you have Tactics)

The downside of the Workshop, is the loss of Veteran Status when the upgrade occurs.

----------------

Scouse Git (2)

[This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited February 05, 2000).]
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I think you forgot diplomat to spy.

Comment

Thanks - I will edit it in. -----SG (2)
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

SG2: Great summary. That's worth a print out.

Sten: You have a good memory, my friend. If a thread is past 5-10 days, it's usually out-of-sight, out-of-mind. If you and others would like some help in compiling an up-to-date strategy guide for this forum, let me know. I can gather and provide some info on clobbering other AI civs - along with my fellow warrior, Prince War4

Comment

Thanks for the *bump* while I was away, Sten! Thanks for the upgrade info, Scouse Gits! Work has been very busy lately, so I haven't had time to post.

Here is my strategy for pre-Howitzer/pre-Bomber/pre-Spy assaults of cities with City Walls (and especially those on a river as well). Typically these cities are a big no-go unless you can diplomatically buy/break them. Civ expansion can often be hampered (until Spy/Howitzer) on some small map games by a well placed AI city that cannot be toppled. I typically put a good Vet defensive unit into a fortress on good terrain right next to the city, just so the AI throws away resources turn after turn trying to take the position until I can make a diplomatic assault. The best strategy I've found to deal with these cities is to build about 4-5 diplomats and send them all on the same turn to the city to perform industrial sabotage. If you send your dips on different turns, they often just sabotage the work in process for the city again and again. If you are patient and wait until you have several ready on the same turn, the results are often: Work in Process sabotaged, Temple destroyed, Marketplace destroyed, City Walls destroyed. I wish I knew if this was randomly determined or if there is some grading scale for city improvements. Hope this tiny diplomatic tidbit helps!
            [This message has been edited by inca911 (edited February 17, 2000).]

Comment

For what it's worth (FWIW) here is a list of city improvements in Berlin situated on plains and under attack by the glorious Roman empire. Near at hand are 11 elephant troops and 7 Diplomats. The diplomatic corps first goes in to get rid of city walls, but as with so many government officials, they disregard their orders and sabotage other things which they deem more important.

Palace---------------no
              Barracks-------------3
              Temple---------------4
              Market Place---------5
              City Walls-----------6
              Harbor---------------2
              Colossus-------------no
              MarcoPolo Embassy----no
              Catapult Production--1
              Then interestingly enough, I sent in the 7th diplomat to check if it would do the Palace, or one of the two WOWs. Guess What, in the same turn that Catapult production had been sabotaged, the 7th diplomat again sabotaged the catapult production, even though there were no new shields in the production box. So count your diplomats. Of course, ordinarily I wouldn't have sent another dip in after the city walls were down (??because they are dips??)). he he he.
              Before you criticize your enemy, walk a mile in his shoes. Then if he gets really angry at your criticism, you are a mile away, and he is barefoot.

Comment

Ghengis Chris,
                The info about terrain and stuff can be found on the Civ poster. Well, let me explain. I have MGE, and in it they gave me a sweet poster that gives me: the tech tree(complete with corresponding improvements), a list of all units(with the attack/def/move rates, firepower, obsolescence ect. And also a list of terrain types, results of mining, irrigation, roads, and engineer transformation. If you have MGE, you must have gotten this.
                Beyond the ridicule of my buddies for being such a Civ fanatic, this poster is highly important. It takes mainstage at my desk, right in front of me at all times, which is invaluable.

Comment

Genghis Chris,
                  If you don't have the civ poster, let me know and I will post a distilled summary for general use.

To your specific question regarding roads: Roads increase trade on Plains, Grassland (and Grassland w/ Shield), and Desert.

Railroads, however, increase the output of multiple shield producing terrains (forests, mines, specials, etc), so if I have a choice of laying a road through varied terrain before Railroad is discovered, I choose the shield producers for when I lay tracks later on.

Comment

I think his question relates more specifically to the changes under different governments. Irrigated wheat w/ road is 3-1-1 in Despo, 4-1-1 in Monarchy or is that still 3-1-1 ?? whatever, I can't remember and it isn't really on the poster...

Hjelp!
                    Be the bid!

Comment

Great stuff! Another fine addition to your project would be a list of the effects of terrain improvements (roads and irrigation esp.) on different land types under different types of governments. This is something I'm still trying to work out and memorize. I'm still not sure whether it's worthwhile building a road on a forest, for example (notice 'Settler' under my name ).

Comment

Regarding roads - they will increase trade in *any* square that already generates at least one arrow. This includes all river squares and a lot of specials. For some reason, this fact seems not to be widely known.

Comment

DaveV:

Thanks! That is a Very useful piece of info. I knew about the rivers, but not the specials. I've been around the block a few times on the forums and had never heard that one. I'll try it on multiplayer tonite just to make sure it works there also.

[This message has been edited by Mark_Everson (edited February 23, 2000).]
                          Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
                          A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
                          Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

Yes, Dave is correct. I have been investigating this recently and have found this to be true.

Any square that produces trde for any reason produces one more if there is a road in that square.

For example a glacier with a river and a road (under Monarcy)produces two trade.

Comment

If you consider it "strategy" the uses of airstrips to: make hills produce food as well as mined, can be used to make inland cities invulnerable to air and nuke attacks.

Tribute: AI is much more likely to give tribute if: it is BC time, you have higher att units near his cities, it's your first contact, and neither of you have sneak attacked the other. oh, and "aggressive, militarists" never give tribute. Only "civilized perfectionists"
                              [This message has been edited by Seeker (edited February 24, 2000).]
                              "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                              "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                              "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Seeker are you sure about aggressive militarists not giving trib???

DaveV, Wm, & MarkEverson: the added trade arrow from roads also means that it is advantageous to "forest" river squares and cut down non-river forests. That way you can get trade in every square.

(please don't tell anyone in California that I want to cut down all of our trees)
                                [This message has been edited by Sten Sture (edited February 24, 2000).]
                                Be the bid!

Comment

Working...
                                X