No announcement yet.

Airbases in OCC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbases as intended are just fine, but I would have a problem with using them as a railroad system or a sort of "great wall" around my cities. The game designers could have eliminated those problems by not allowing you to build airbases right beside each other (just like for cities).

Comment

In an OCC, how far are you really going to move units anyway to make a huge rail network? I'm just suggesting scattered ones around so that you can have a secure defensive perimeter.
      Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

In OCC, I don´t build airbases at all. I just build some stealth fighters for patrol and seek&destroy purposes. I don´t need no outposts just because my fighters can handle the huge threat the AI bears... with its cavalry. Or Arty. Or Bombers...

I think, airbases within the city radius are a cheat, because it´s just unlogical that they should produce extra food or work as railroads. Someone wrote that the extra food could be explained by the infrasructure that is needed to maintain an airbase, the argument for the function as roads was that you could use the runways as roads. What the ...!? So you have to think of an airbase that has a runway as big as a map square??? Or the idea of people sowing wheat between the runways trying not get their heads chopped off by off-taking fighters?? C´mon guys, its a mistake or something that the programmers didn´t remove for some reason, it´s just impossible that an airbase was intended to provide such benefits. And because it´s not imagenable, I personally regard it as a cheat and don´t use it.
        But as said about a thousand times about cheats: Everybody´s free do do what he likes

Comment

Checked out the archive. Clearly, Carolus Rex nailed it - the programmers took the code for a city, and didn't remove enough of it. So you get a city's effects on the tile w/o losing the engineer or gaining city improvement options.

Not entirely unreasonable spin-offs for an airbase. But you should not be able to build adjacent ones, or adjacent to your city.

I'll tell you one thing. If airbases within city limits are cheats, then ship-chaining is a cheat.

The air-defense thing is stupid. Bombers should be able to fly over airbases and cities without landing/attacking. Civ3...
          Best MMORPG on the net: www.cyberdunk.com?ref=310845

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi

Comment

Working...
          X