Airbases in OCC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airbases in OCC?

This was discussed in another thread, but I felt it needed more attention. Is it cheating? I know it is considered so if you build it on hills in your city radius, but what about using them as forward bases where you can base fighters or bombers as scouts to protect yourself? You can have them all around the world in theory, just as good as cities sometimes, without the liability of one. Do you think this is cheating?
    Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Fraid so.There is no justification for them.A fighter can protect from the city itself.

The main reason this was voted a no-no was the extra food that hills and mountains produce.No agreement on whether this was intended or not so it is out.But since you don't have to irrigate or farm I think not.Or now I think not.

Now,airbases outside the city radius are a free for all.I guess you could surrounded the land around your city but given the amount of improving to be done in quick order,it's not very practical.
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

But it would give you a nice perimeter from attack wouldn't it? And with a few NONE engineers...it shouldn't take that long.

Comment

Why should it be a cheat? You're using the airbases for what they are supposed to be used for. Defense line outside city/country borders is a valid strategy.

C.

Comment

I must say that given the lateness in the day when airbases appear it seems unecessary to brand any use as a cheat -- post radio there is no time for celebration until perhaps after fusion so the greatest gain that could be achieved would be the removal of a one sheaf food deficit incurred by imprudent earlier growth - or have I missed something??

Certainly any use outside the city limits must be legitimate (if probably not cost effective) -- second thoughts - what about an early launch of a 15-1-1-1-1-1 ship you then have some twenty-five years in which to try and prevent an opposition launch - an offensive defence seems to be a good strategy and that might well require advance airbases ...

Good civin'

[Edit for typos]

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
          [This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited August 10, 2000).]
          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Using airbases for their intended purpose is of course allowed in OCC. You are just not allowed to build them inside your city radius to provide extra food on mined hills or to replace farmland. As SG[1] already said, they come too late to be of much use for that anyway.

Comment

One way that building them outside your city radius would probably be considered a cheat by most, would be if you build airbases on every square just outside your city radius, making it impossible for any enemy air unit (nuke, fighter, bomber, cruise missile) to attack your city. Now granted, this isn't much of a concern for record shooters, since the AI probably won't have the technology yet to really attack with air units... but for those who are just trying to win and it is late in the game, it's very possible that this defensive strategy could be effective.

I for one think this would be considered a cheat... what do other people think
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Is the main thing to remember that we're talking about an OCC game?

If you can't use them for extra food and you can't use them for defensive purposes, then what the heck would you use them for? You're not goint to need advance bases for attacking and taking AI cities.

BTW. For me, this is all moot anyway. For some reason, my version doesn't allow me to build them outside the city radius anyway. Or am I missing something? (Like that's a new happening, me missing something)

------------------
                Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.
                Frodo lives!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Mao on 08-10-2000 02:26 AM
                  But it would give you a nice perimeter from attack wouldn't it? And with a few NONE engineers...it shouldn't take that long.

If only bribing engineers wasn't so expensive... The only time I've had any NONE engineers in OCC was for the Fundy Fornight game.

Comment

For a discussion of airbases in general check this out...

http://apolyton.net/forums/Archives/...-3-000349.html

I still like Sieve Too's argumentation! Face it guys, it's a cheat!!!

Carolus

[This message has been edited by Carolus Rex (edited August 10, 2000).]

Comment

Maybe not 100% on-topic, but just to expand my knowledge a little... :

How fast are damaged air units repaired being in an airbase? As fast as in a city without an airport or as fast as an army in the field?
                      How many times faster does an army regain its full hitpoints being in a city/in the field?
                      Does the vet status influence the time a damaged unit needs to be repaired?

Comment

well, just read the archived Airbase thread. As for the increased production - that probably is a cheat. As for free railroad, I'm not so sure any more. After all, the landing strips surely can act at least as roads, and for a fully funtional airbase, they should be able to transport cargo to and from the planes efficiently. (maybe they should be free roads )

I personally don't build airbases, but that is because I don't build many planes Too many extra unhappy people even when in their home cities in a democracy. As for building them in OCC, I probably would already have railroads (and farmland) down long before I built one, so as long as they aren't in certain places (ie city hills), I wouldn't have a problem building them.

Never was an issue in my first OCC game. I only saw 1 total AI air unit (ordinary fighter), and i had a fortress on a mountain where a hut archer and a musketeer (and later a cavalry) held off everything the AI had for over 5000 years

------------------
                        April Cantor: Sire, in order to expand further we must first gain favor of the King

SCG: darn, I've never really got the hang of that tribute thing, guess it will be a long time until i make prince

*goes off and starts gifting gold and techs*
                        Insert witty phrase here

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Ming on 08-10-2000 08:05 AM
                          One way that building them outside your city radius would probably be considered a cheat by most, would be if you build airbases on every square just outside your city radius, making it impossible for any enemy air unit (nuke, fighter, bomber, cruise missile) to attack your city. Now granted, this isn't much of a concern for record shooters, since the AI probably won't have the technology yet to really attack with air units... but for those who are just trying to win and it is late in the game, it's very possible that this defensive strategy could be effective.

I for one think this would be considered a cheat... what do other people think

Ming, have you ever tried building airbases around all your cities? I tried that once, and the AI had a nuke during its turn right in the airbase next to my city that wasn't there when I was moving

Carolus...shut up, no one wants your common sense here!

Chainsaw, airbases work just like a barracks, airport, or port facility. Though more like an airport since it's for air units.

Comment

When it comes to airbases on hills, uncommon sense is more accurate!

Carolus

Comment

It doesn't have to be on hills, they're just to act as cities without having the liability of one.

Comment

Working...
                              X