No announcement yet.

Girlfriend Trouble?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I woke up 1/4 to six... played Pharoh for about 1 h. You have to cope with that...when the girlfriend problem become a wife problem!

Comment

I think i've hit a chord here with you guys haven't i?!?! Well no luck last night and she didn't even come round?!?! i spent the whole time either on the phone to her or waiting for her to call?!?! she played the "i need protecting, even though i'm miles away" card, what can you do???

And now i think she might be moving in permanently or at least enough to complete knock civ on the head for the next 2/3 months!!!!! I can't wait until i'm back at uni next year and have sweet FA to do all day!!! well, maybe some studying, but 15000 words isn't hard to write is it, what, about 3 hours do you reckon?!?!?!?
      "There are not more than 5 musical notes..." - Sun Tzu
      ...and we build an Academy for this guy... :confused:

Comment

You have my sympathy -- This is probably not a viable solution, but I am playing 'The Longest Journey' with the girlfriend, 'Might & Magic VIII' with my daughter and 'Planescape Torment' & 'Civ' when I get a moment to myself - most often in the 18 - 20 and 23 - 01 (the latter when GF is not in residence) slots.
        Of course my daughter's current addiction to 'TeenChat' lines is cutting into the the first of these slots as well
        Life would be so much simpler in a uni-sex society or one in which we could all afford individual computing/internet access
        Good luck and maybe some good civin'

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Well, last night was a complete non-starter!!!! but that was mainly because of the problems on the underground in london yesterday!?!? it took me 3 hours to get to work yesterday, and i didn't even bother trying to get home until 7:30, so i'm now blaming the Irish Dissidents for my lack of civ playing!?!?

The problem is the GF, just ain't into computers, i've tried explaining civ, but she just don't get it?!? i mean it's not rocket science!!!!!!

Comment

Isn't it great when they turn on the TV to watch a favourite program, just when you're getting restive about trying out that perfect invasion strategy you devised at the office during that boring department meeting ?

Then, you can slowly amble over to the computer, with a barely audible sigh of resignation, which expresses the unspoken message, "Of course I wouldn't dream of turning on the computer with you here, but, seeing that you're watching TV, well, there's not much else left fot me to do" !

Comment

Oldman - do you think this thread should be part of a new "Apolyton Soap" section?

People all over the world are breaking off from OCC triumphs and bloodlust conquests to tune into "Will the girlfriend say yes - to a game of CIV - that is!"

Well, my advice is try the happiness wonders. JSB in particular. Give her your credit card and a tube rover - which gives her a purchase in every shop. In this instance JSB is Just S*it Broke!

Please, please, tell us what happens next.

(Does your lady know she is an internet soap idol?)

----------
              SG (2)

Comment

Give her my credit card? are you mad????? I think she could single-handedly run a debt close to that of the 3rd world!?!!!

No civ yet again last night!!! i knocked off work early and bought myself a Tuner for my Hi Fi, it's a nice Denon TU260L mkII, very nice!!!!!! anyway, so the girlie comes round and is giving me all this **** because she wants to go out, but donesn't want a drink, or anything else i suggest!!?!? but apparently i was supposed to have suggested going to a fair?? like, ah-uh?!?! so we go to the fair!!!!

Do you know it costs about £2 a pop for the dodgems?!!? 2 ****ing quid?!?!?!?! Oh, and i won an inflatable Pikatchu!!!!!! hurray!!!!

Then we went for a drink, and have you ever thought how crap it is that bars don't let you pay for drinks with credit cards?!?! i mean what does it matter to them!?!?!

But, to cut a long and pointlessly boring narative slightly less short than the first draft of The Lord of the Rings!!! I didn't play civ last night!?!?!?

But, tonight it's friday night, the girlie is working!!!!!!!! so, Civ! Here i come!!!!!!

Comment

I think we'd all agree with the definition of a bachelor... A man who's never made the same mistake once.

I try to encourage my wife to go out with her friend (female) whenever she wants to. I also have the advantage that my wife teaches piano 4 days a week from 3 PM to 10 PM. Pretty easy to sneak upstairs and get on the PC, huh?

------------------
                  Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.

[This message has been edited by kcbob (edited July 26, 2000).]
                  Frodo lives!

Comment

Ever tried a Play By Email Game (PBEM)? I'm playing one right now and it's slow, but it doesn't take much time at all and you can still think about the game even when you aren't playing the game....

Comment

Inca - how does PBEM work? What version of Civ?? Other similar questions that I can't quite think of right now??

Oldman - Chin up and play the game...

------------------

Comment

Well, I'm not exactly a PBEM expert, but the gist of it is as follows:

You start a Multiplayer game using MGE with or without the Microprose patch (both players must either have the patch or not have the patch, you can't have a mix!). You pick your number of human and AI opponents, difficulty level, etc when you start the game. You set the option "Wait At End of Turn" to ON. To take your turn after the initial game setup, you select "Load a Saved Multiplayer Game", you join the game as your Civ, and play your turn. When your turn is over, you do not press "Return", you save the game instead and email it to your opponent (it's a small file). He will then load the game and take his turn, emailing it back to you. It is very beneficial if you can get several turns completed early in the game, as very little is happening. One problem we encountered was the computer giving GO orders to our units which were previously fortified. It appears that you give up control to the computer at the end of your turn when you save and send the game. The computer knows when to take it's turn based on the date, but it appears he has control of your civ for that brief period of time in between the turns. We have "fixed" this problem by ensuring no units have movement remaining at the end of the turn. So we activate our fortified units and then refortify them immediately to use up all their movement for that turn. It seems to be working. Also, when you find a civ, you want to set your attitude towards them to Enraged, if you do not, we theorize the AI may trade tech with them or even give them gifts since it has the control to conduct diplomacy when your opp is playing the game. If you want to give it a try, LMK.

Comment

Inca911, it doesn't half sound complicated!!!! and what's with the ai fiddling with your civ?!?! does that still happen with the microprose patch?

I might have to give it a go in a couple of months when i go back to uni, it'll help me keep my civ2 hours down, and hopefully my study hours up, ha ha!!!! as if...

Scouse, Managed to get quite a few hours in over the last 2 days, but that's because i scived off of work with a stomach bug!! ha ha, suckers!!!!! so it's currently 1020ad on my occ scenario (14), but it's going to be mid week before i get to finish it?!?!

The other half has started working now, so hopefully i'll get a few more hours to civ!!!

Comment

Well, we both have the patch, so that doesn't fix the problem. Also, there is no other way to do diplomacy except via the AI since both players are not online at the same time. It's not a big deal yet, since we don't have a lot of units to manage, but it could become a real pain in the late game. It's just nice to be able to play against another human to raise the level of competition.

Comment

Thanks a lot, Inca, Oldman - I certainly would like to give it a go - maybe in a week or so -- holidays coming up...

------------------

Comment

Just thought i'd update you guys!!! see the girlie trouble is still there, only i think she might now be moving in!?!? argh!!!!! well it won't be all bad, but i know i'm never going to get much time for civ now?!?!

I forgot all about the mp theme to this thread, we'll have to try a game sometime scouse, only it's going to be at least a couple of months before i'm able to, and then i've got my final year on it's way, but sometime in the future...

Maybe we could do a pbem in a couple of months...

Comment

Working...
                                X