No announcement yet.

Barbarian oddity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it might.I have no problems with the barbarian papers.It is well done and must have been some tedious work.But I see things that aren't supposed to happen.

1250bc is not all that late really but "poof" there were 2 barb horses.

One AI city I found around 2800bc had at least a half dozen barbs swarming around.There were 2 leaders which led me to think they could not have been tipped from huts.
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Well... we have seen differences between the SP version, and MP edition. And LORD KNOWS we have seen differences between the Mac and PC versions

I agree! The Barbarian Papers is a brilliant piece of work, and should be must reading for anybody that plays Civ. As Rah mentioned, I knew a ton of it just from that fact that I have played a "million" games...
      But it was still helpful!
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Oldie but a goodie. Yesterday, bored, I started a SP game. Tipped a horseman out of a hut. Very nice. Built my capital. One turn later, with the horseman and second settler elsewhere, barb horsemen appeared and stomped my capital. End of story.

------------------
        finbar
        Mono Rules!
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

I've tryed a few "other" nomad games to see if I could get 1 continent and I have seen barbs before my first city.A few ai cities were swamped with barbs.

In fact,twice I got multiple horses from huts before my first city.Once 1250bc and once in 575bc.Shocked the heck out of me.Must be a cutoff point on good things only from huts before 1st city.
          The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

And then again, I've lost a few bets in my life...

Smash, are you playing with the Gold Edition or regular CivII? Just asking
            Keep on Civin'

Comment

Finbar... and what version are you playing?

Normally, if you only have built one city, the barbs can't beat it... I've seen a lowly warrior fortified in a grassland city defend against hordes of barb horseman????
              Keep on Civin'

Comment

Ming, he said that it was the turn after he built his capitol. So most likely he hadn't built a defender yet and the barb just had to walk into an empty city.
                [This message has been edited by Paul (edited June 30, 2000).]

Comment

Yeah Paul... I misread his post. I thought he had his non horse in his capital!

Just another "senior" moment
                  Keep on Civin'

Comment

Yeah, it was the turn after I built, the warrior hadn't been built, and the horse was elsewhere. Probably posting on the OT forum.

But even if the warrior had been built, it's no absolute guarantee the capital would have survived. As I've posted elsewhere at various times, I've lost a defended capital to the barbs when it was my only city. Just as I've also seen single warriors (in my capital and only city) withstand the most horrific onslaughts. Sometimes the computer decides your capital (and only city) is impregnable, very occasionally it doesn't.

------------------
                    finbar
                    Mono Rules!
                    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Working...
                    X