Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will you do when you start with a hut in your initial position?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will you do when you start with a hut in your initial position?

If my hut lies on a grassland/plains,i'll build a road with one settlers until my other settlers are far enough (min 5 squares from my hut).
    When i build my capital,i'll step on hut square with my other settlers.
    *Poof*.....advanced tribe in about 50%,barbs in less than 5%.
    Even if i don't get my advanced tribe it surely worth a try to me.
    If hut lies on rough terrain,i'll try to get none-unit before i build my capital.

My life, my rules

If you pop it before building your first city then you won't get barbs or an advanced tribe.

Comment

I found my capital several times under a goody hut, in SP as in MP.
      I would always grab the hut before I build my first city. The best thing I can find is NONE horseman/chariot. The worst thing is warrior code.
      justice is might

Comment

The best thing is a NON unit, so always discover the hut first. Use it to explore and find other huts.
        "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
        "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
        "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

I won't poke a hut if any of my precious early settlers are around - then even when they've safely built my cities for me, I investigate only with a unit that can look after itself - like armour, or better;-). As a civ pessimist, I always regard each hut as full - of barbs! Many a game has gone by, when I've not investigated a single hut, out of fear, negligence, or higher ambitions.

Comment

George -

Many tests done by people at this site have proven that you can never get barbs from a hut before founding your first city. Never. So stop worrying and go open that hut!

------------------
            SandMonkey

"Shut up brain or I'll stab you with a qtip"
            -Homer Simpson

"Ecky ecky ecky!"
            "It's just a flesh wound!"
            - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Comment

It's true; you never get barbs if you enter a hut before you build your first city. I always explore for a few turns to see if I can uncover a few NON units, particularly horsemen. This lets me make a better decision on where to found the first two cities, and I might get a nice unit to explore with. After that, count on the odds: A study was done, and you get barbs only about 5% of the time. Early on, enter huts on the first turn with a horseman. This preserves the option to attack the barb that might emerge. Early, there will only be one. If you found a city, and the hut square is not worked, the hut will persist, and you can open it later. I think that this strategy will not yield barbarians, but I am not certain.

Comment

Plus, I think I remember reading somewhere, that barbs will never defeat your only defender in your only city. Just a bit more insurance for ya.

------------------
                SandMonkey

"Shut up brain or I'll stab you with a qtip"
                -Homer Simpson

"Ecky ecky ecky!"
                "It's just a flesh wound!"
                - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Comment

Though building initial city in hopes of advanced tribe is tempting, I go for the hut right off. The non unit is very nice. If it is a horse, I explore. If an archer (for instance), I send to my capitol.

Comment

It is uncommon, but not unheard of, to get an advanced tribe from a hut before you found any cities. It is more likely, and to me preferable, to get a horse unit or something similar. Although I used to love pulling advanced tribes out of huts, I've come to dislike it. The placement of the huts is such that the city will have only one or two specials (if any), and they tend to wreck the pattern of cities I try to acheive.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Mad Monk, this gives me another thing to be frightened about. The best I can manage for a pattern is to get most of my cities close enough together that I can build a quick road through for trade.

Despite that, I always find that something, a whale, a spice patch, or the like, is just outside the range of this city, and if I'd built it one square over, I'd have got it and the fish I was looking at.

I have never deluded myself into thinking I know more about the game than any single other person, save perhaps for someone who's going to discover the game next September, so I'm not in a sneering contest here. It's just that my semi-orghanized style of play pretty much prevents any pattern that lasts beyond the first five cities.

Jim W

Comment

Perhaps pattern is too strong a word. What I mean is, I try to arrange my cities so that there is not one single 'open' grassland or plains near them (I've gotten burned by the AI more than once), while minimizing the amount or squares doubled up. Thanks to huts, I inevitably have cities that are within one or two squares of other cities, just to claim one-by-three (or more) square strips of green leading in from the coast...
                        [This message has been edited by The Mad Monk (edited April 16, 2000).]
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Horsemen or chariots from huts is , warrior code is .

Actually, I think that Sten tested the no-barbs-before-first-city-hypothesis. If I remember correctly he got some barbs after many, many turns. So, in practice it's nothing to worry about because you don't wait that long to found the capitol.

Carolus

Comment

I'd go for the hut pronto. As previously stated, the NON unit is everything early on. I have opened a hut in MP an found my capital. Hasn't happened to me in SP though. If you are worried about hut barbs and can afford the units, open huts in pairs: use a warrior to open and a horseman to attack if they pop out.
                            "Three word posts suck!" - me

"...and I never will play the Wild Rover no more..." - Various

Comment

Or, open huts on clear terrain with a diplo. The barbs tend to have decent units, and they're relatively cheap to bribe (about 2 gold per shield, vs. 2.5 gold per shield to rush-build it yourself).

Comment

Working...
                              X