Huge World Comparison Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge World Comparison Game

I thought you warmongers might like this.
    It is a huge world, you start on a moderate sized continent with no local goody huts. No restrictions (except no cheating) weapons free enjoy yourselves. (You should play as the Carthaginians.)
    Should anyone feel that OCC is playable in this sort of scenario the best (IMO) site is to the West of the starting position.
    Zipped scenario file here.
    Unzipped Scenario & Text files - download both into the same directory.

I shall try to use this post to keep track of results as they come in.

OCC
    1855 Tom DeMille AC
    1868 Huey AC
    1881 Aurelius AC
    1894 vik AC

ICS
    1670 DaveV Conquest

Perfectionist

Other
    1770 Smash Conquest
    1800 oedo Conquest

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor

[This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited March 29, 2000).]
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

ah but Steve with these new comparison games, you and i should have a blast clobberin civs These are right up our alley

------------------
    It's clobberin time!!
    - The Thing from the Fantastic Four
    Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Hey War: You play that Zulu comparison game yet? Seems like everyone took the compassionate route, I started clobberin' as soon as I could (you know - make peace, then clobber them). Haven't had time to finish it, got 2 or 3 more civs to destroy. Won't be a problem.

I just don't if I'll have the time for this new map though. Let me know how and what you did.

Comment

I'll give it a try when I have finished OCC fortnight 4 and DaveV's game.

Comment

hey Steve..... no i havent' tried the zulu game as i haven't had the time either perhaps this weekend.. sunday ... then i am giving this new scenario a whirl ...... what did you think of my new sig?

------------------
          It's clobberin time!!
          - The Thing from the Fantastic Four
          Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

War: Love it

Comment

Sounds good SG. I'll try it this weekend.

Exactly how big is this 'huge world'?

------------------
              Will everyone stop bloody quoting everyone else in their signature damnit. - Graag

AH has shrink shop open, and if you want advice from an Aussie who thinks he's a horse that likes having a gay Greek general riding his backside then that's still available. - Lancer

Comment

Oh great, I hope it doesn't have anything to do with Big Huge Games.

Looks like we'll be playing CivII and its scenarios for a very, very long time.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 03-03-2000 10:11 AM
                  I thought you warmongers might like this.
                  It is a huge world, you start on a moderate sized continent with no local goody huts. No restrictions (except no cheating) weapons free enjoy yourselves. (You should play as the Carthaginians.)
                  Should anyone feel that OCC is playable in this sort of scenario the best (IMO) site is to the West of the starting position.
                  Zipped scenario file here.

Zip? The curse of the Macintosh lives on.....

------------------
                  "On ne peut pas apprendre la chance si on n'est pas hardii."-Napolean
                  "On ne peut pas apprendre la chance si on n'est pas hardii."-Napolean

Comment

I'm on a MAC and had no problems.Dropstuff 4.5 decompresses zip files to hqx which can then be decompressed with stuffit.If you can make it into a simpletext document then you can play it by putting it in the appropriate folder and and selecting "begin scenario"There is a READ ME with the game

I decided not to allow myself Marco polo's Embassy to try and make it tougher.
                    I'm about half way up the spindle.Going for conquest as I thought that might be the hardest way to win on this map.2 civs down(sorry War4ever,you were first)Mongols took out one for me.So 3 down 3 to go.

Many cities allready which is a bit of a pain so I built Mich's and SOL and went Commie to minimize micro-managing.Great Library,Magellan's,Lighthouse,War Academy,Leo's and Gardens(for early deity expansion problems) also built.Shake's and the Oracle(still effective although I have only 1 temple in my capitol) captured.

Right now my army consists of muskets,knights,crusaders,diplomats and many,many caravels.Going for Steam Engine and Super Ironclads next.Seems late(around 1300AD) but I have only encountered phalanx,archers and the odd legion so far

Managed to build a route thru the first land mass by building adjacent to a 1 square inland lake and a 3 square inland lake.3 cities (Port A,Port B and Port C) did the trick.I really hope I don't have to do that again.It continues....
                    [This message has been edited by Smash (edited March 04, 2000).]
                    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

SG1 - I'm in, though it will take me a while to slog through a huge map. Cute job on the text file, by the way...

Comment

Thank you all for showing the interest - I must shamefacedly admit that the Spindle is a slight modification of a map that beat me a month or so ago. Sounds as if you have the bull by the horns, Smash, may it continue.
                        Good hunting

------------------

Comment

SG1, neat map, although I didn't explore much of it. I tried it in OCC mode, just for the heck of it, and found myself prospering. I wanted a seaside city square for sending those caravans out by sea, so ended up in a three special north east of the starting location. It was a pretty good site - I maxed my population out to 28, a few more than usual - I think the extra scientists helped to compisate for lack of a special.

Anyways, I landed in 1855 (no log), having only met the vikings (alliance) and aztecs (kept peace). I beat the AI to all the OCC wonders. I lost a few turns by sloppy tax/science management, and a few more when the Aztecs discovered Flight just after I discovered Automobile (I had just gifted them combustion - maybe I'll stop doing that ) It was touch and go during spaceship construction too. I had a barbarian uprising 5 squares away (riflemen and artillery). I quickly built a tank, but it died before I had cleared the barbarians out. They pillaged a mine, so my production fell below 80. With pollution every turn, my engineers were busy (I had disbanded my settler to rushbuy the powerplant - doh). And then I ran out of food (and lost both engineers). Still, by this point I had discovered fusion power, and was churning out 300 gold a turn of revenue, so I was able to keep rushbuilding the spaceship (I would build a temple (160 gold) and then switch to structural to complete it in one turn), only loosing a few turns. I did end up with rather a lot of pollution, the threat of global warming, and a loss of 6 or seven population, but I figured this was a small price to pay to get my spaceship done.

Comment

Tom, I take my hat off to you. I really did not think the map was OCC viable.

[This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited March 07, 2000).]

Comment

Awesome map!
                              I even completly forgot about our multigame . Sorry Dave and Carolus, this won´t habben again.

To the game: I established a science city first and let the other cities produce almost only caravans. I built a lot of wonders (HG, Colossus, Lighthouse, Marco Polo, Copernicus, Shakey´s, Mike´s, Leonardo, INC, SoL), before I started the crusade. So I didn´t play a real warmonger strategy. After I built Leo´s (1180AD), I started cranking out horsemen, and ´waited´ until they were transformed to chavalry (1420). Conquering was pretty easy since no AI civ wasn´t even able to discover gunpowder (I think the vikings once stole it, but they couldn´t trade it to another AI anymore). The first city I captured was Trondheim in 1420. The last city was Moscow in 1800.

I made a savegame each turn (maybe I forgot one or two), so I should be able to create a game log. This, however, will take some time.
                              [This message has been edited by oedo (edited March 07, 2000).]
                              justice is might

Comment

Working...
                              X