Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scenarios: Conflicts in Civilization

1) Previous experience:
    ww2 with smaller civs (see my thread 'Arriba')
    Rome (see my thread 'Delenda sunt')
    Alexandre (see my thread 'Napoléon,...')

2) Conclusions:
    Scenarios are FUN.
    Scenarios are a nice way to compete in SP with good friends Apolytoners (experienced players not willing to specialize in OCC or early landing).

3) Therefore:
    I shall publish here the results obtained playing 'Conflicts in Civilization' scenarios (+ a few words about what I liked and disliked).
    Anyone willing to send his own results is free to do so, allowing us to build a tiny Hall of Fame.

4) Results:
    I have played 6 scenarios out of 12, namely Alexandre, Alien, Apocalypse, Independence, Jihad and Napoléon.
    Alexandre: DrFell holds the record (I must check the exact month)
    Alien: 2044 Surf City conquered, Hodadian decisive defeat (I might have gone on conquering my fellow civs on earth, but felt satisfied with beating the aliens)
    Apocalypse: Could not finish that game (bug: error message when Nuclear Fission is discovered)
    Independence:
    (as the Americans): August 1780, all cities are American (apart from Halifax/London and Port-au-Prince, defended by special units, La Fayette was satisfied with American independence and did not care with any more bloodshed)
    (as the French): July 1782, no English city left (apart from Halifax/London, see above; La Fayette did not wish to start fighting his American friends).
    Jihad: 731, all objectives Arab.
    Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

As I posted in the Nappy, Alex, et al thread, I'd played Jihad a long time ago. I don't remember the long endgame, maybe I stopped partway thru. I'll try to make time for it this weekend - this week is my succession game turn.

My war for independence against the evil english is going slowly. I don't know where they are hiding. A popup informed me of british reinforcements arriving, but they apparently got waylayed in Canada. I'll try to finish that game, too.

I'm not sure I've tried the others, except Mongols. I know I didn't finish it, tho. Probably got sidetracked with the Rome scenario...

(the guy on the right is the Marquis as the Marchioness finds him when she returns home, the two on the left should already be in bed)
    The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
    intelligence to few.

Comment

Marquis
      I would certainly enjoy having a look at your results, but IMHO the opinion of the Marchioness is much more important than mine.
      Please, let those youngsters go to bed in time (and don't let them become Sega or Nintendo addicts: it's even worse than civ)

(this guy is La Fayette, so old that his younger daughter is already a student and never never asks him when to go to bed)

Comment

Marchioness?

Rereading my post, I notice that 'la Marquise' sounds definitely better to my French ears than 'the Marchioness'.
        If the youngsters are in bed and if you feel like it, you can tell her that, for me, she is la Marquise de Sodaq.

(La Fayette, wondering whether the French revolution should really send all Marquises to the guillotine)

Comment

Blame the english! A marquis was the duke of a remote province, also known as a "march." His poor wife got stuck with the anglicized name - maybe because "la marquise" sounds plural to english ears, je ne sais pas.
          Last edited by Marquis de Sodaq; July 25, 2001, 22:11.

intelligence to few.

Comment

Those scenarios were really weak....only a handful of the scenarios in CiS and FW were any good. I enjoyed Mars, Jules Verne, Samurai, WWI, and that's about it. Scenarios made by the community were much better.
            "The only dangerous amount of alcohol is none"-Homer Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
              Blame the english! A marquis was the duke of a remote province, also known as a "march." His poor wife got stuck with the anglicized name - maybe because "la marquise" sounds plural to english ears, je ne c'est pas.
              The next level down is even better - the wife of an Earl is a COUNTESS!!!

LOTM
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Hoek
                Those scenarios were really weak....only a handful of the scenarios in CiS and FW were any good. I enjoyed Mars, Jules Verne, Samurai, WWI, and that's about it. Scenarios made by the community were much better.
                Some of us intend to play as many scenarios as possible in the near future.
                Any good advice is welcome.
                Therefore:
                1) If you felt that some scenarios were weak, could you please explain why?
                2) Can you remember the names of some scenarios made by the community that you enjoyed, and tell us where and how we can get them?

(this guy is La Fayette, eager to play the best scenario made by the community)

Comment

Check HS Spanish Civ

By today's standards, Hoek is right. Many scenarios in CIC and FW were innovative in their day, but what was innovative then has now become the expected minimum. The community really has advanced far beyond CIC/FW. You'll be very pleasantly surprised at the level of quality, creativity, and fun that can be found in many contempory scenarios. Here are a few links to Ancient Times scenarios.

Personally, I like Celts and Iberians, the Roman invasion of the Iberian peninsula, by Jay Bee. Very atmospheric, tough terrain, and a nice balance of units. He's one of the best and well worth investigating. Check the forums at his site for comments on several of his scenarios:

Forum on Jay Bee's Scenarios

Spanish Civ2 Site (Scenarios)

Another master of this era is Kull. His finest (IMHO) to date is 'Seeds of Greatness'. Marvelous tech tree, good events, and very 'replayable'. Can be found here:

Kull's scenarios

Don't overlook BeBro's Imperium Romanum. I'm embarrassed to say I haven't played it yet, but from what I've read, it sets the standard for Rise of Rome scenarios.

BeBro's scenarios

I'm sure others can fill you in on other eras. Btw, I think all three of these authors are working on new scenarios.

Explore and have fun!
                  El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

d'accord

I actually like many of the scenarios I've found over at the Spanish CivII site. All are top quality. Also, in the vein of our Rome fixation, there are several scenarios that are better than the default scenario.

I thought we were playing CiC scenarios initially because they (and ww2, rome) were available to all, regardless of game version. No harm in opening a thread about a particular scenario, to be sure!

BTW, La Fayette, in Independence, I was able to kick the english out of the south by december 1777. I've retaken Newport in june 1779. Alas, they still hold New York and Canada.

intelligence to few.

Comment

Any scenarios from the following people are high quality:

Hoek (one of the two I made is on the Spanish site, both are on CSC), Allard Hoefelt (that's my dawg!), Jesus Balsinde, Harlan Thompson, Micheal Daumen, Captain Nemo, Jon Petroski, Stefan Hartel...Jesus Munoz, Mike Jesenka, and Alex Mor also have some good ones. Go to CSC to find probably the largest selection, and the Spanish site keeps a little more up to date, also if you look at the Scenario League website, that could give you some decent reviews to guide you in selecting scenarios.

Here are some top-notch scenarios that I have enjoyed:

Alba de America-JB
                      Boer War-Allard
                      Red Front-Jon Petroski
                      Moscow-M Daumen
                      Mongols-Harlan Thompson
                      War of Cuba-Jesus Munoz+JB
                      Civil War-Captain Nemo
                      Spartacus-Alex Mor
                      WW2Pacific-Mike Jesenka
                      "The only dangerous amount of alcohol is none"-Homer Simpson

Comment

Re: d'accord

Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
                        I thought we were playing CiC scenarios initially because they (and ww2, rome) were available to all, regardless of game version.

BTW, La Fayette, in Independence, I was able to kick the english out of the south by december 1777. I've retaken Newport in june 1779. Alas, they still hold New York and Canada.
                        1) Playing CiC scenarios because they are available to all was in fact my objective (after having had fun playing ww2 and Rome).
                        It remains so. I think some competition adds to the fun of it (and I don't really care if someone gets a result better than mine, though I am very happy when this doesn't occur ).

2) The English in New York and Quebec! This is a vile provocation that can no longer be tolerated. Kick, Marquis! Kick!

Comment

Thank you very much

Boco and Hoek
                          Thank you for the tips.

As previously explained, my main objective when playing civ is to have FUN. I noticed a few months ago, playing ww2 with smaller civs, that great fun might be had even playing ancient scenarios and that some competition added to the fun.
                          I think that any of those who had a try at 'Rome' did enjoy it (even among those who are not in the tiny Hall of Fame today ).

That is why some of us started playing Cic scenarios on the same basis (have a try, post your results if you feel like it and discuss your mistakes if you feel like it).

AFAIK, before we started that, there were 3 ways to have fun competing when you were an experienced player at civ2, namely MP, OCC and early landing. Scenarios are a fourth way (and my own highway for the time being).

Scenarios provide a fair ground for friendly competition (and discussing mistakes is hopefully a nice way to reduce the number of mistakes you make afterwards).

My short term objective was to play all 12 scenarios in CiC + a few in FW (I have finished and loved X-Com, almost finished and disliked Midgard, especially because of boring endgame; in fact I got bored enough to stop with 2 tiny enemy cities still hidden somewhere in the black; and I am finishing Samurai now), so as to give a fair basis of comparison to anyone willing to play any of these (since I publish my results even if not satisfied with them).

But your tips make me wish to also have a try at some scenarios from the community. Thank you again.

Comment

Hoek - Red Front is Nemo's; though IIRC Petroski's Up the Deadly Boot is really good.

RF and Second Front are two WW2 games that I continually play - but they can be pretty hard the first time through and they have gotten a fair amount of publicity already.

Daumen's The Great Game is really good too.

Harlan's Lord of the Rings is a must for any Tolkien fan.

BeBro's all look excellent, but I have yet to give them a go.

It can be a little overwhelming since there are so many great scenario's out there - and most of them are big long games.

oh for a few short tactical scenarios like Leo's Roman Riots that could be played in less than a month...
                            Be the bid!

Comment

Oops

Boco and Hoek
                              Thank you for the tips.
                              Playing CiC scenarios because they are available to all was in fact my objective.
                              La Fayette, your patience for someone who missed your point is appreciated. I'm afraid my level of playing, though far from average, is not high.

Of the FW scenarios, Verne attracts me the most. As you migrate from CiC to FW, I'll keep an eye out.

If you do try other scenarios, by all means, start a new thread.
                              El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Working...
                              X