Yet Another Cheat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet Another Cheat?

I just found that if I use Ctrl-N to end a turn my planes can stay in the air! Please confirm it for me.

Put your bombers/fighters/missiles in position (with at least one move point left, of course) then hit 'w' to wait till all land and naval units have moved. Now do 'Ctrl-N' to end the turn.

This is extremely bad for TOT fantastic world since you can build sourcerers (fighter unit with move=6, natural transport ability) at the very beginning of the game who can explore all 4 maps for you.

Geez, just how do you figure these things out. Just tried it in an civII mp game, and you are correct. Makes it easier to ferry those fighters to the front.
    However there was one real interesting thing, on the barb turn, a musketeer attacked the fighter that was still in the air and killed it. Interesting, it must have counted as being on the ground.

Well I tip my hat to you again. How did you figure this one out?

RAH
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

it didn't work for me... i probly did somethingwrong though.

I just cheated a game to do this.... i made a fighter and a bomber.... moved them until they had one movement left... and then hit Ctrl-N. Nothing happened.

Was this in original Civ2? Or ToT?

------------------
      SandMonkey

"Shut up brain or I'll stab you with a qtip"
      -Homer Simpson

"Ecky eck ecky!"
      "It's just a flesh wound!"
      - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Comment

After you hit [cntl n] the end of turn will flash in the lower right corner, just hit enter and the fighters will not crash, neither will cruise missles. Bombers did not reset to their full movement, so no advantage there. It was CivII MP with all the patches. This will make fighters much more powerful but it is nice that they can be attacked if you do this. I'm sure in mp games people will agree not to use this one, and it will be easy to police.
        RAH
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I don't know....

Hitting Ctrl-N does absolutely nothing. I could hit it all day and nothing happens. Do I have to have any certain settings on? Oh well now i won't even be tempted to use this cheat, i can't!

Comment

I did make sure that all movement was done for the turn was completed except for the airforce before hitting cntl-n. Do you have the auto advance feature on?
            RAH
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I made sure i had that off. you mean so i have to hit enter every turn, right? i tried it both ways. For some reason it just will not work on my computer. Is this listed as a command in any of the menu's? It's not on mine. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Comment

I didn't bother checking the manual. With Xin's previous reputation for finding this stuff, I just tried it assuming it would work. I wonder what you're doing differently.

RAH
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Doesn't work in the MAC version so I say bug.Nice catch again Xin.This guy deserves some kind of award for figuring out WHY things happen.
                  The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

'Ctrl-N' is the hot key for 'end user turn' which can be chosen from the menu (under 'order', I think).

SandMonkey: maybe you have your Caps-lock on, so the combination key's value is different. Try choose from the menu instead.

Rah: I don't know if Bombers don't need to return to base every other turn or not, if so that's a huge advantage. And yes, only air units with 'range' greater than 1 (i.e., bomber) cannot be attacked by ground troops. So your fighter can be picked up by a barb.

[This message has been edited by Xin Yu (edited January 30, 2000).]

Comment

Xin, I left the bomber in the air with/without bombing,(tried it both ways) and tried the trick, but the movement stayed at 8 instead of reseting to 16 so if you bombed on the second turn it crashed, so unless you do the trick again it would crash if you didn't return to a base. But you could use it to ferry it more than the 16 spaces but you can't get a bombing run after the first 8 without crashing it.
                      RAH

I didn't know about attacking fighters since I've never left one in the air before. haahha
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Just wanted to tell everyone that I tested this cheat and it works will ALL airunits, that includes nukes. This also explains why the AI had airunits in the sky that didn't crash (not only stealthfighers but also bombers).

But serious folks, this is a very nasty cheat. I could simply nuke an opponent on the other end of the world or sacrifice a fighter to destroy his units in the field. Micropose should release a new patch for this cheat!
                        Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Guess I'm the oddball at apolyton, this just won't work for me.

Xin, you said it's the hot-key for "end user-turn". This sure sounds like something for MP. Could this be what it's in? There is no such command for my version of civ2 (which is v2.42).

------------------
                          SandMonkey

"Shut up brain or I'll stab you with a qtip"
                          -Homer Simpson

"Ecky eck ecky!"
                          "It's just a flesh wound!"
                          - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Comment

SandMonkey: That I don't know. I don't have 2.4.2 on my pc anymore. Maybe you can ask Microprose for that question.

Comment

what a horrible cheat this is... like we need more of this crap in civ2 However congrats to Xin for finding and letting all of us know so that we can prevent this from entering MP games. Xin deserves the magicians award for civ2.... if Xin cant find it.... then its not there

------------------
                              I am a civ addict. ARE U 2??????

icq 30200920

Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Working...
                              X