No announcement yet.

Huts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe I've seen an empty hut on RH also. But I'll keep an eye open in future games.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Well i didn't. To be more precise i never saw empty hut before multiplayer cuz i always played RH.
      However,i do believe there are some minor differences between MGE and UCC. 'Buy a temple than switch to something else' works fine in UCC and Ming pointed out it doesn't works in MGE. Am sure there's more of it but right now i can't think of any.
      My life, my rules

Comment

Yeah, I've had empty huts on RH. What's this about "buying a temple and switching" not working in MGE? Does in mine.

------------------
        finbar
        Mono Rules!

[This message has been edited by finbar (edited December 19, 1999).]
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

In reply to what Ming said earlier about getting cities before 2000 BC. I have gotten a city in 4000 BC from a hut. This really pissed me off because it was in a really bad place.... Also I have gotten a city on a forest. And finally but I don't think this was mentioned, but you can't get techs after Invention in reply to that, I got automobile (ironicly) from a hut. But of course all of this was with an unpatched verion (one of the 6 I keep on my comp ). Well thats my two cents. Now I'm two cents poorer .

Caesar
          I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

finbar

If you have an empty production box it is cheaper to rush buy any city improvement by starting with a temple/barracks (both 160).
            Once the temple is built you change to your real objective. Unlike units no more incremental buying is possible. If you want a stock exchange you don't save anything by buying city walls after the temple then purchasing the S/Exchange.

With units it is different. If you need to rush through a battleship you save by starting with a spy - then a rifleman - then a marine and so on.

I misunderstood this at first. (See Ming's Cheat Thread)

-----------
            Scouse Git (2)
            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Thank you... you just put it in words that everybody can understand it Far better than I could...
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

A hut in a city radius will not dissapear when you put workers on it. It just will no longer be visible from the city screen. But close the city screen, and sure enough, the hut will still be there.
                The camel is not a part of civ.
                THE CAMEL IS CIV !!!!
                SAVE THE CAMEL !!!!!!

Comment

SG(2-0@Anfield)

re: cheaper to start with a spy when rushing units from scratch...

I think it is actually cheaper (185 vs 240ish) to scratch rush a barracks, convert to a spy at 50% hit, then rush the rest of the spy and so forth. Somebody check me on this, I'm doing that one from memory and I never do it in games.
                  [This message has been edited by Sten Sture (edited December 20, 1999).]
                  Be the bid!

Comment

SS:

The formula I have for rush building is:

X*X/20 + X*2, where X is shields needed to fill the box.

Using this formula, I calculate:

Rush-build Barracks: 80*2 = 160
                    Convert to 20 shields, rush-build diplomat: 185

Rush-build Diplomat (from scratch): 105*2 = 210
                    [This message has been edited by DaveV (edited December 20, 1999).]

Comment

I once got a size 4 city with 3 improvements from a hut, late in the game. I have seen a goodie hut disappear when I put a city worker on it, and it didn't come back when I closed the city screen = it was gone for good. I have never gotten an empty hut, but I mostly play Deity.
                      yes

Comment

SG(2) - thanks for clarifying that. BTW, loved the accent, too.

------------------
                        finbar
                        Mono Rules!

" ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

(Rush buying)
                          SS/Dave V - 185 is sure better than 210. The learning curve continues to sharpen!

SS - I've noticed the hidden football thread. Do you follow the Reds?
                          --------
                          Scouse Git (2)
                          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Another thing about huts: Early in the late stage of the game, I'm really not doing anything but sitting around waiting for factories and stuff to finish so it occurred to me to go goody hut hunting. Loaded 2 dips onto my transport and headed off into the dark behind the German and Greek lines.

I opened every goody hut I came across - periodically unloading a dip to look around further inland. The net result was a load of "Non" units, a bunch of bucks - 200 gold comes up pretty often as was noted earlier - and an 2 advanced civs. The one time I got barbs was no big deal - my dip just jumped back on the transport and bribed a couple over the next 2 turns.

And, maybe as and aside, rather than disbanding the advanced civ as I usually do, I kept it and used it as the basis for that long distance trading strategy that I rarely have time to setup. Leave one dip in the city and rush build units and improvements.

Coming back, I went up to the polar region with the same result - no advanced civ though and you've got to be careful about the distance to your newly founded cities.

The downside is that I got so many units that pretty soon I slipped out of Strong-Mighty and into Supreme; so peaceful coexistence was gone by the wayside for awhile. Next time I'll be more careful about that. And I'll take along a third diplomat.

You might want to try it.

Comment

I've tried this also. I've found that a map with many small landmasses, islands, can have many huts still around late into the game. The AI seems to stop expanding after a while. Is this so or just the way it seems.

Comment

MWHC i have noticed the same thing and the ai tends to ignore huts except at the beginning and have you ever noticed that it must have been advanced tribes that they get alot.... save the map and then later in the game look at the pattern..... if they start off slow.... they will get lots of advanced tribes as will you if you start slow too.... this is a pattern i have noticed
                                Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Working...
                                X