No announcement yet.

Smsh's 2 whale/2 gold OCC comparison game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And to answer some other comment that Smash made: I build a granary depending on the food situation. In this game we have a gold mountain which I always like to work with my second citizen. That means very low growth, but good trade/science. In this game the AIs also seem to do very well in science; in my 1809 attempt I even managed to get Steam Engine from the Aztecs. That must be the most advanced technology I have ever gotten from an AI in an OCC game for a very long time.

Comment

The biggest problem in the game for me was always that the French would block my path to the Americans, Romans and Carthaginians. On my 5th attempt I finally managed they finally left me a route past them which allowed me to get early contact with those 3 civs. This allowed me more early trading and gifts and I landed in 1771.

Comment

Well, I guess I will try again with a granary & colosseum.

I finished my second game & landed 1923; started third game, think I will land in 1918. I got space flight in 1850 and thought I would finally land on the other side of 1900, but no soap. I got a little tribute from the Aztecs, but once I met the Carthaginians they both ganged up on me, end of the gravy train. Between them and the Barbs I was being hammered so bad I only had time to build 2 freights. I had archers fortified on the mountains, had to replace with riflement & then alpines -- otherwise my terrain improvements get pillaged.

You guys make this look so easy! Well, I figured out some things I was doing wrong. I forgot to research Democracy, and I forgot to build the research lab after I finished Darwin's. Lost both my engineers to starvation (!) and had to build two more. Can't this stupid game understand I would rather lose a tax collector than an engineer?

Comment

1771 ??!!!??!!?!?!

Argh, I give up!

Comment

It sounds like you two can play this scenario in one day/sitting. Is that right? Good grief, when I play a regular game (not OCC), it takes me many hours.

Comment

Steve - which is why I like to play OCC with some regularity. One game = threeish hours.
              Be the bid!

Comment

Steve, you save so much time when you only have one city to manage! And you have only a handful of units and they're not wandering all over the globe. I spend more time calculating the science rate than anything else...

Comment

1771!?Good God!Thats a little more than squeaking a pre 1800.holy ****!Back to the drawing board.Bigtime.

Ya an OCC game usually takes,what? 3-6 hours?
                  In fact I really don't play "regular" games right now.Just OCC and MP.
                  The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

3-6 hours sounds about right to me.

Comment

I had a game with 3 whales and a spice in one of my VERY old games before OCC. I'll find the map and see how fast I can get there. My current record is 2019.
                      I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

Try giving in to their demands.I've found 1 concession is often enough to get the alliances you seek.

Yes. I do beleive the ai in gold is more hostile.Probably to prevent players from taking advantage in MP games.It takes alot more to get them "onboard" and they don't seem to be as generous with their gifts.25 and 50 gold are common.

I do not build a granary.Maybe I should.I too see no benefit since I am going to use "we love" for growth.Consequently,pottery is not high on my early priorities.I always get it from the ai or huts
                        The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

I have done OCC in 1974. I got space flight around 1905. (First game on Diety I ever beat) . There are several problems. First of which the map I got this on had 2 whales, a buffalo and a wheat. There was one forest, three planes, two hills, five ocean squares and the rest was grasslands. That might have been one problem. The other was I was alone on the island. Those are my worst problems. I have several minor problems; one I can't get tribute. I had four alliances. They each asked me for several hundred gold each turn or else they would break the alliance, the when I requested a gift I would get NOTHING. The other problem involves money. I never have any money when I reach supercondutor. I had to waste it all on components. Can I have some help I don't know what to do. Thanks for your help. BTW Paul is your name Paul?
                          I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

Finished my third game, landed in 1908. Hmm, the dates are slowly getting earlier. Maybe I can do this after all. I still have major problems with the aggressive AIs and the Barbs which are overrunning the whole continent. The AI don't want to trade tech or maps at all, they just demand what I've got & go to war if I don't give it. Think I will try this game in old Civ2.

Started a 4th game, didn't get an archer from a hut, it was very scary until I got riflemen. But it may have slowed me down too much. It's 1700 and I'm just discovering electricity. And I just realized I forgot to sell the colosseum. I did notice a benefit from colosseum, but still not from granary. When are you guys researching pottery?

Comment

1771?????
                              Well, in my first try with this game
                              I just got a 1880 or something...
                              It took me a lot of time to meet the other civs ( so I missed the early tributes and trading tech) and I didn't meet the purples at all.

Comment

I lean towards a hydro plant if available or a plain old power plant.I hopefully dont have time for Hoover's.I have superhighways, research lab,offshore platform and manufacturing plant to build first.Also, at least 9 caravans.By then, its usually time for Appollo.

I am using MAC version 1.0 for my single player games.It is supposedly the same as PC 2.42.
                                My Gold version is reserved for MP only.I've got tons of memory to play with though.

Comment

Working...
                                X