No announcement yet.

Delivery Bonus Anomaly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In games against the AI, I prefer BW (also gives a second row and is on the way to trade) or, sometimes, map making.

Carolus

Comment

Yes, either BW or HBR for that second rack and for barb protection.
      You guys play way too much SP. In MP you can't trade rape the other players. You need real opponents.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I am curious about the 2/3 of science limit. Does that mean 2/3 of the total cost of current research or 2/3 of remaining cost?

Comment

Originally posted by Elephant
          (BTW: Lafayette, Smash and Old n Slow: this is from CFC's GOTM32, so consider it a "Spoiler"...)
          Not a spoiler for me , since I chose conquest (managed around 1000AD ).
          Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Originally posted by Wharf Rat
            I am curious about the 2/3 of science limit. Does that mean 2/3 of the total cost of current research or 2/3 of remaining cost?
            2/3 of total cost of current research
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah

2/3 of total cost of current research
              Otherwise you could deliver an infinite # of caravans and never fill the box
              "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
              "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man

Otherwise you could deliver an infinite # of caravans and never fill the box

Yeah, that would take the fun out of it.
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Rah,

HR is not completely useless. However, I strongly agree with Chofritz that you should try to avoid acquiring it early in the game. In the early and mid game, all it does is add to ongoing research costs. Every unneccessary tech that you acquire adds, in every turn, to the cost of researching the next needed tech. Solo has explained this clearly in section 2.5.2 of his Early Landing Strategy Guide (threadid=82209 on this forum).

As Chofritz has said, a good stategy is to get the AI to get to Chivalry, and avoid some primitive techs like HR and WC in the early and mid game. Judicious tech gifting and use of Marco Polo helps here.

However, these primitive techs can be really useful, later in the game. Later in the game, it often become necessary to trade for a primitive tech you do not yet have, to change the order in which the game will present the choices of the next tech to be learned. Again, Solo has showed us the way here- in section 2.5.3 of his post (towards the end of the section) he shows just how effective these late trades for primitive techs can be.

In every one of my recent early landing games, I have saved myself the need to research a useless tech, and hence saved over a thousand invaluable beakers, by trading for one of the ancient techs that I've skipped in the first part of the game, to change the order the game presents the techs to you and enable you to proceed straight to the next vital tech.

It's really quite satisfying: "We note that your primitive society has not yet even discovered Horseback Riding. We desire the secret of Fusion Power! Will you trade???" Oh yes!

Hence, it is really valuable to skip techs like HR and WC, to give strategic researching choice late in the game when it really matters.

Comment

NEVER TRADE FUSION POWER!!!

Comment

NEVER TRADE HORSEBACK!!!
                      (polytheism is hidden behind it )
                      Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Originally posted by patrickwl
                        Rah,

HR is not completely useless. However, I strongly agree with Chofritz that you should try to avoid acquiring it early in the game.
                        If you're playing a 2x movement game against another human, and don't take HR as your first tech, you will lose.

On larger worlds I'll take it as my off path tech on the way to monarchy. But again, this is against Human players.
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

you guys make some very interesting points....i've been away for quite awhile, but now I'm back I LOVE multiplayer CIV2!!
                          "Veni, vidi, vici."

Translation: "I came, I saw, I conquered." Written by Caesar, in a report to Rome in 47 B.C. after conquering Farnakes at Zela in Asia Minor in just five days.

Comment

Great, but why do all the returning poeple have to be on euro time?
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

euro time

actually I'm in the mountain time zone here in the good old USA
                              "Veni, vidi, vici."

Translation: "I came, I saw, I conquered." Written by Caesar, in a report to Rome in 47 B.C. after conquering Farnakes at Zela in Asia Minor in just five days.

Comment

My apologies.
                                Then go into the control panel and set your time zone.
                                It defaults at GMT which is why I assumed you were on EURO time. Go to the MP forum and I'm sure you find lots of opportunity to get games.
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X