Scenarios from the Community

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scenarios from the Community

I have now played 'Rome' and 'ww2' many many times.
    I have also played 'almost' all 'CiC' and 'FW' scenarios.
    I have now started playing scenarios 'from the Community'.

Unfortunately (or let us say 'fortunately'), there are many of these; so, if someone has played a scenario and found it enjoyable or even better than that, please let me know.

What I shall do is what I did with the scenarios I played previously, namely publish my results (let us say my records, since 'all records are to be beaten', as DaveV said) and also what I liked and disliked (especially the bugs I might come by).

1) "Imperium Romanum" (by BeBro)
    I played that one as the Carthaginians (all cities conquered in 126BC) and really enjoyed the first half.
    The game is said to have been designed at Emperor level by the author. Well I played at deity level, as usual, and the first turns were 'tough': all cities in disorder and difficult to improve. The graphics are pretty, the tech tree is completely new and full of (nasty) surprises and the 'events' file brings a lot more nasty surprises that keep you well awake.
    The only drawback is the victory condition: 'all cities conquered', and that meant 140 in my game. This makes for a long and rather boring endgame (why not stop at 100 cities for example? anyone knows that the game becomes less thrilling when one knows that one is sure to win).
    Conclusion: Bravo (but please make it shorter)

2) "2194 days of war"
    I played as the British and met 2 major bugs.
    Bug#1: The game crashes when all techs have been discovered.
    The solution has been provided to me by Field Marshall Klesh: modify rules.txt to create a new access to Future Techs (replace 'no,no ' by 'nil,nil' on the corresponding line). It works.
    Bug #2: The allies (Americans and Russians) refuse to talk (and they own several objective cities).
    How can one 'get tired of this boring alliance' without talking ? or how can one modify rules.txt to make them talk ?

Those bugs are a pity because the game itself is quite fun: colourful graphics, new units with special abilities, and very agressive Japs.

July 1943: I have crushed the Germans, but cannot crush my silent allies. Dommage!
    Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

how can one modify rules.txt to make them talk ?
    To change the lack of communication between the Russians and Americans, you have to edit the events.txt file.

There is a macro in there that prevents them from talking. Should read something like this:

@if
    negotiation
    talker=Russians (or ANYBODY)
    takertype=Human (Computer, or HumanOrComputer)
    listener=Americans (or ANYBODY)
    listenertype=Human (Computer, or HumanOrComputer)

This macro prevents communication between the specified parties. You would need to edit this.

Then you can be Patton and crush the Commies! (sorry to any commies out there...no offense intended)
    No greater love has one than to lay down their life for a friend.

Comment

Re: Scenarios from the Community

Originally posted by La Fayette
      Unfortunately (or let us say 'fortunately'), there are many of these; so, if someone has played a scenario and found it enjoyable or even better than that, please let me know.
      well, Spanish Civ Site's Best Of The Net Section has a lot of those above average scenarios.

but here's some good scn's that I have encountered:
      *30 Years War.
      *Great Northern War (that better one)
      *Hellenistic Age
      *Of Celts And Iberians
      My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Comment

I'd recommend the "Conquest of Mexico" scenario from Jesus Balsinde's Spanish history series.

(and I'm no good at it, so I can use some strategy tips)
        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Look at events and go fast at places where AI put the Spanish! (YOU SHOULD FIND these places BEFORE 1499(?!) )

Comment

That would work, but that's cheating.
            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Conquest of the New World... when I get home, I'll look up who designed it, but it was some woman.

it's almost a gigamap in trial, merely because it's so easy to hit the city limit of 255 in that game

it may not have been a historically accurate scenario at all... and it may not have been the best designed map- but with the 4 euro nations starting at 4 corners and landing on the large landmass of 'america'... I had the best time using settlers to develope land and fight farflung wars with railroads than I ever did in any other map!

I think you can find the map on apolyton's servers.

----
              and I may as well promote the civil war scenario (american) on my website

I did a lot of terrain-design work there (the units were designed by others [for the most part] but IIRC, I did most of the terrain [hey, at least some of it ]] and the game is balanced well, I think.
              -->Visit CGN!
              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

2194 days of war

I mentioned 2 bugs after having played that scenario as the British. I must apologize. Bug #2 is in fact not a bug, since I have discovered that I played the British using the Germans' Events.txt (due to a 'wrong' click and forgetting to check afterwards ).

Anyway, I have just replayed the scenario from the start, playing as the Russians, and I have the great pleasure to announce that Stalin rules the world (all 62 objectives conquered) in August 1943.

This means 20 turns from the start and I hope that won't be that easy to beat .

Comment

Here's its readmefile:

This scenario are just fantasy, made up in my mind (and
                  with some help from the scenario: «COLONIZATION v 1.3»
                  by Paul Davidson Jr ).
                  I have made my own version, totally different from
                  "Colonization v 1.3", but I must admit that this idea
                  came from playing Paul’s scenario!
                  I have called my scenario «Civilized Colonization»,
                  because this Civilization 2 scenario are about
                  colonizing another world (and not because I think
                  colonizing are civilized!).
                  Enjoy and conquer - Rape and Plunder
                  That’s how you’ll win the game!!!

If you hate this scenario, please send your complains to:
                  leonard.nesdal@eunet.no

If you like this scenario, you can send your E-mail to
                  the same address.

Leonard Nesdal
                  -->Visit CGN!
                  -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator
                    I'd recommend the "Conquest of Mexico" scenario from Jesus Balsinde's Spanish history series.

(and I'm no good at it, so I can use some strategy tips)
                    I followed your advice and started playing this one.
                    Let us hope I can manage to find some useful strategy tips for you

Comment

I've been playing Age of War, off and on, for the last several weeks.

Overall, I like it. The tech tree is all-new, and the tech paradigm is altered to make new techs very costly in beakers. The various civs seem to be organized in tiers of difficulty - from what I've seen the British and Germans are fairly dominant, the French and Russians seem more challenging to play, and the Italians/Spanish/Turks would be tough to play. Most of the units are relatively expensive, which makes production, or cash to rushbuy, a priority.

It's also a very long scenario - 6 turns a year and I gather it runs from 1900 to 1950 - so @ 300 turns, almost as long as a standard deity game. And unlike a normal game, you start with a 'full grown' civ of 20-50 cities. Thus, the turns can be time consuming. But if you like the idea of masses of modern armies colliding, you'll probably like this scenario (hello, Gatekeeper ).

One last thought - the game is called age of war, but the AI seems to be reluctant to go to war. I haven't been relentlessly sneak attacked, in other words (and I'm not spotless, having gone to war at the behest of my allies once or twice). Kind of realistic, in terms of how the arms races of the early 20th c. turned out. Then again, when I hit 1914... we'll see

No bugs that I've found, so far.

Interesting use of the submarine flag to keep non-capital ships from being able to shore bombard.
                      "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                      "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Originally posted by La Fayette
                        I followed your advice and started playing this one.
                        Let us hope I can manage to find some useful strategy tips for you

I guess it mostly comes down to just playing a good game of civ. But even in "vanilla" civ2, I'm pretty mediocre (I don't really trade and plan ahead much), so that doesn't help.

I never really got close to the Maya or Northern Tribes in my expansion. But when the Spanish landed I think I did fairly well to defend myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator
                          That would work, but that's cheating.

whom?

Comment

I have just finished playing 'Conquest of Mexico'.
                            I start a new thread to give the strategy tips (since it would be a spoiler for those willing to play that scenario without tips)

Comment

Working...
                            X