No announcement yet.

Oil and Uranium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I’m forgetting that MP players are pressed for time. In MGE “Find City” does not list cities chronologically, either, making a city’s cycle turns more difficult to determine.

However, just having the knowledge that demands are updated every 16 turns can often be enough to determine if a delivery can be made in time. For example, you may have a coal caravan, and having been checking for demand for a few turns, and then it does show up in a city. If the new demand for coal was not triggered by another delivery to that city, it was probably that city’s cycle turn that caused the list to be updated. If so, now you know that if there are not any other intervening triggering events, you will have 15 turns left to deliver coal to that city.

A few more things can be done by MP players to increase the chances of delivering demanded commodities:

1) Since not getting far enough in time is usually the reason for expiring demand, give preference to factors other than distance that increase payments. For example, a demanded cargo delivered to another civ on another nearby continent will pay very well.

2) Give preference to wildcard commodities when conducting trades. When you click on a city, the middle commodity is almost always going to be the wildcard commodity. When the demand list is updated, they are most likely to remain on it, unless the civ’s tech total has reached 32, which is when wildcards change. In the early game, remember that only 7 commodities can appear as wildcards: hides, beads, salt, copper, wine, silver and gems, so try to pick these for making trades. Avoid trading wool and cloth, which can never be wildcards. When wildcards change after most civs have 32 or more techs, avoid trading hides, wool, beads, cloth and salt, since they can no longer be wildcards.

3) For non-wildcard commodities, the left hand commodity on a city’s list is more likely to remain in demand after a list update than the one appearing on the right.

4) Try bringing caravans to a destination in pairs, and if possible, have dye or copper as one of the commodities, and your “demanded” cargo as the other. If demand expires before you arrive, it’s likely that dye or copper became part of the the demand list, “covering” this demand. Trading the dye or copper first may reestablish the demand that just disappeared.

5) Due to the “dye/copper” bug a good rule of thumb is that demand for one or both may appear after a trade if it wasn’t there beforehand. Otherwise, a trade is most likely to eliminate pre-exisitng demand.

Before the recent discoveries about demand list properties, it was equally frustrating to approach a city with two demanded cargos and not knowing which one to deliver first, since the first delivery often erased the demand for the other commodity. Often, reversing the order of the trades is all that is needed to cash in on both bonuses.

Comment

City size is one thing you can pay attention to without taking too much time.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

well i find trading with myself not so much of a problem, my cities are close together and i get the demanded stuff there quick

its the off shore trading with my allies , i think they do it to spite me

Solo, thanks for the tips...... are you saying that the far right commdity basically falls off the list for demand? and the others slide over a space? its really not as simple as that is it?
        Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by solo
          4) Try bringing caravans to a destination in pairs, and if possible, have dye or copper as one of the commodities, and your “demanded” cargo as the other. If demand expires before you arrive, it’s likely that dye or copper became part of the the demand list, “covering” this demand. Trading the dye or copper first may reestablish the demand that just disappeared.

5) Due to the “dye/copper” bug a good rule of thumb is that demand for one or both may appear after a trade if it wasn’t there beforehand. Otherwise, a trade is most likely to eliminate pre-exisitng demand.
          Sorry have to snicker at this one. If I have a lot of dye or copper caravans, there aren't any problems and a lot of thinking isn't required.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

War4ever,

If the far right commodity loses demand it is apt to fall off the list, replaced by another that gained. If it gains demand itself, it is likely to move to the left and become hidden under the wildcard. Not much leeway for remaining visible and useful.

Comment

This is very interesting stuff, but still a little confusing. My purpose in asking is to finalize a tech tree for a Test of Time scenario I'm making. It's set in central Africa during the time of European exploration and early colonialism. The idea is to have African civs produce Oil (Slaves) and Uranium (Ivory) and have the Arab civ demand Oil (Slaves) and the European ones demand Urainium (Ivory). Any tips?
              Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Does this sound right for African civs and Uranium?

1) Give the African civs NF but few other techs (i.e. minimize the DQ).

2) Then try to maximize the SQ by having BIG cities with little or no Grass/Plains/Swamp/Jungle and as many specials and rivers as possible.

How long is the scenario? Is it safe to assume that trade commodity settings made at the start will hold for 16 turns?
                El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Solo, i still find the wildcard (commodity) stuff confusing..... is there a way to control the wildcard?

Comment

Originally posted by War4ever
                    ... unless the wife wants you to come to bed..... just one more turn honey i swear!!!!!
                    What's this, Warz? Have I missed something? Are congratulations in order?

SG[1]
                    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Originally posted by War4ever
                      Solo, i still find the wildcard (commodity) stuff confusing..... is there a way to control the wildcard?
                      I'd have to say sometimes
                      the wildcard is predetermined by the 2 coordinates of the city (so founding 1 space away will change the wildcard) and by the # of techs that have been aquired (>32 recalculates the wildcard)

other than that, you're down to using trigger events to get the list to change to get them to appear or disappear.

side note: one of the more interesting things i found about solo/sampson's research was that terraforming will change the supply/demand list (won't change the wildcards, but alters factors determining the rest of the commodities)
                      Insert witty phrase here

Comment

do you get more money for differnet types eg more for oil than beads?
                        I'm back, sorry everyone.

Comment

SG...no not married yet....*phew*

SCG that makes sense considering the terrain changes when you modify it..i was going to ask this, ie mining specials...if i deliver three caravans to a city, the turn before i mine them, and they fill up (ie used) do i get new commodities that i can fill the next turn? or do i get new commodities which are already used up (ie in brackets)

woudn't it make sense to mine your specials , deliver caravans, then get new supply and demand liists that are vacant??

has anyone tested this?

Rick on the run....different commodities pay differrntly....there was a thread which stated the bonuses each commodity paid out...

Comment

i've not seen mining affect the S/D lists unless you count changing a grassland or plain into a forest. The main function of specials in the S/D formulas seem to be that they count as 4 of a terrain rather than 1.

So yes, it does make sence to build your vans, uncover a hidden special (-1 to grassland, +4 to forest or hills)and then deliver the goods - you may well create a whole new S/D list with nothing blocked
                            Insert witty phrase here

Comment

HM...... i will have to try this in an mp game... last night i played and it was an ugly game for me...late start, bad huts. late monarchy, big waste of space between my two empires...and my two cities 16 squares apart....

but i had a bunch of sets mining hidden specials and fixing the land up....i wish i had remembered to check supply and demands....

i kept setting up trade routes for 4-16gc to my own civ instead of building wonders my empire so desperately needed

i also forgot to pay attention to city growth, and had a few commodities change on me...

i may have to test this one myself....

are you refering to blocking as changed commodity takes the place of a trade route you already have?

Comment

Yes, blocked = commodity in parentheses.

Two empires?
                                (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                                (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                                (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Working...
                                X