Positioning to conquer a city

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks, Ming
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

• this one's better
      Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

• SG - It was me who asked the same thing in the other thread. CW's new one is great, but there is some interesting discussion in the others worth checking out.

Comment

• Finally Done

Florida Was Great!

Now back, and finally got to finish my first AC victory at Deity. Nice movie! (Glad I put the CD in.) final score was 1,485 IIRC, with 42,430,000 elated citizens and nary a red face among them. (I know that's nothing to compare with the scores of the masters but, as the saying goes, it was good for me.)

Now back to 1800AD to try it again as a conquest game. The hard part? Ignoring SG's spoiler thread. (With the SGs on the job, I'm certain I'll be years, if not decades, behind the presumably posted result.)

Oh and BTW -- Campo -- it's a lot more fun learning on your own than it is to beg crumbs of advice from the people you spend your spare time competing with. That's one of the reasons I came to Apolyton. I'll happily watch Rah click away on Friday nights, but the game they're playing is not, shall we say, something I can take to SP Deity with confidence. (Plus, he's pretty fast with the mouse, so I don't even know exactly what he's doing half the time.)

Rah and Ming have been great at sharing strategic theory (and revealing the cheats!! ), but the practical aspects of turn-to-turn tactical management need to be experienced.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• If you've got too many units, don't disband them. Take them to protect new founded cities. Rush build a factory , maybe a harbor and an offshore platform. Then rehome them (at least 2) to the new city.
            You're sometimes forced to build cities on sites without specials, just to keep the AI away.
            There are no silly questions - only silly answers
            <a href="http://www.sethos.gmxhome.de">Strategy Guide</a>

Comment

• I'll happily watch Rah click away on Friday nights
              Judging by rah's previous remarks about "entertaining", that clicking isn't the mouse -- it's the sound of bottles being opened.

Where'd you go in Florida? My mother-in-law lives half the year in Pompano Beach. We usually spend a week there in February for her birthday. Too hot for me though, sometimes even then.

Comment

• I can see where a FL trip in February would be nice for a Buffalo resident...

We were on Marco Island, way south on the Gulf coast. The temp's high (mid-80s this time of year) but there's always some nice wind that keeps it comfortable, even in high summer. Good golf, great beaches, and cool "nature" stuff (since it's right near the Everglades). Can't golf there without seeing an alligator or two.

Have played out my game yet, or is that just the SG axis? I'm hoping to get started on the conquest version this week.

As for Rah, he's at a level where he can compete -- and win -- while being noticeably "entertained." But that's what our Fridays are all about. I doubt I'll ever reach his level. I have neither the patience nor the time to make up for the years of experience he's got on me. (Though I sometimes suspect that the "entertainment" actually helps his game...)
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• No, I didn't play out your game. SG beat me to it and then there didn't seem to be any point in being the second one to steal your glory.

Yes, I am in Buffalo (actually 20 miles outside the city). Been here most of my life, having returned after a year in California and two in Maryland. I like it better here.

Florida? Too darn humid, even in February. I wouldn't go if my mother-in-law weren't there. I'm okay in hot weather if it's dry -- I like the Southwest a lot -- but not if it's at all humid.

I'm going to start a new game either this or next weekend. It'll be diety/small world/conquest. SG has offered to play it simultaneously and we'll post saves. I'm hoping to learn a few tricks from him. (I think it's "him" -- I get those SG's confused.) I'll start a new thread and invite anyone who wants to join in, either playing along or critiquing my save games.

Keeping track of SG's is like trying to keep track of caravans -- they all look the same onscreen.

Comment

• SG(1) and SG(2) are indeed of the male gender persuasion. I believe they are not related.

SG(3) is a female, and the daughter of one of the first two.

I believe that only 1 and 2 have been in actual communication with this thread. And you're right -- it's easy to forget to check on which Scouse Git has signed off on a given posting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Campo
                      SG ... steal your glory.
                      Would I do a thing like that
                      Seriously, this is going to be -Jrabbit's second win at Deity - I would certainly never do anything to take away that glow of achievement.

Originally posted by Campo
                      I'm going to start a new game either this or next weekend. It'll be diety/small world/conquest. SG has offered to play it simultaneously and we'll post saves. I'm hoping to learn a few tricks from him. (I think it's "him" -- I get those SG's confused.) I'll start a new thread and invite anyone who wants to join in, either playing along or critiquing my save games.
                      Looking forward to it - have you seen the two starts I published on that thread?

Originally posted by Campo
                      Keeping track of SG's is like trying to keep track of caravans -- they all look the same onscreen.
                      Rubbish! - I'm the handsome one
                      My research students attest that this is a true likeness of me
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Remarkable, SG -- that's just how I pictured you.

I downloaded one of your starts but then I wondered about world size. I think you usually play normal world, right? My Civ'ing time is so limited that I only play small world anymore, or it would take me too long to finish.

What size world are those saves?

Comment

• The lates one is definitely large (perhaps even extra large) - the early one - I don't know - not my game originally.

Yes although I would not describe my Civ time as abundant - I do like a large world - let's the three toed sloth have a chance - my research is set to 1 scientist as soon as I have Steam Engine - then: let the Crooks and Clads play ...

Comment

• -Jrabbit Wins Again!!

Well, I finally got around to (re)finishing this game in Conquest Mode.

Finished the job in 1875 AD, by far my earliest win at any difficulty. Final score was about 1703 IIRC.

I see that SG published a spoiler thread and beat me by 5 years. (Would have been done in '73 or ''74, but I decided to convert to Demo and pump my score via happiness.) Glad I didn't peek cuz I doubt I could have beaten that.

BTW, great job, SG!

If anyone cares, I'll post the final savegame here. Just say so. (I'm at work right now and the game's at home.)

Comment

• Well done -Jrabbit - 1875 is a good date for anyone - I think to get a substantially earlier finish you would need to set your stall out for conquest somewhat earlier than 1800 - do you have any earlier saves?

I shall stick a couple of interim saves on the spoiler thread now that you have completed ...

SG[1]

Comment

• Good work, Jrabbit!

That's excellent for your first deity conquest win.

What government(s) were you in, and which wonders did you build?

Comment

Working...
                                X