Positioning to conquer a city

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the correction.

I never knew that. I don't build nukes (disabled Manhattan Project after a few really messy nuke games). However if the game goes long enough I build bombers. I'm surprised that I never noticed the unhappiness factor. I have Mike's and Bach by then -- does that eliminate it for the first few?

Comment

By the time you can build bombers, your cities have been improved to the point that they can handle quite a few unhappies without any effect. Especially if you have the happy wonders, CFC and WS. With trade routes, and almost any % towards luxuries you can support many units without even seeing a single red face. I've glanced down to the unit supported area and seen over 10 unhappies but still not have any red faces in the pop area.

After experiencing this a few times, I stopped putting any priority on Shakes, and didn't worry about waging a war in Democracy. Large developed cities don't have a problem.

RAH
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

and apologies - I took my eye off the most important news:

Well done, -Jrabbit! Many Congratulations!!

The first time really sends a glow down your spine doesn't it!

Of course, Campo is right - we will all now set out to see how fast we can conquer the world -- if you want that second victory - get down to it NOW!
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Thanks, SG1. You're right, even without the nicety of playing out the last 5 turns (which I'll do asap), last night was a pretty great feeling.

You are all welcome to take whatever savegame from this thread and bring it to your own conclusion. Have fun! As for myself, I really have no Civ time until 01 April soonest.

My plan is to finish this game on my return, then go back to the 1800 AD save and play it again for conquest. Compare, contrast, and learn.

After that, many things to consider. The original plan was to give OCC a serious try, but I might want to try another straight Deity game first, just to get my confidence up.

This past couple weeks has been very rewarding -- learned a lot about the game, had a lot of fun, and really got hooked on the forums (went from Settler to Warlord).

See you in April. Tanned, rested, and ready.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

A parting word before I settle down to your 1800 save -- don't forget on your final turn (before landing) disband all your bombers & nukes - each will give at least 1 more light blue face and found every one of your engineers - for a light blue each!!!

Comment

Appreciate the words of wisdom. No doubt I would have screwed up the whole disbanding routine without a timely reminder.

OK, a couple final questions before I go --

1. What do you mean by "founding your settlers"?? Is that a "join city command to all existing engineers? Something more arcane?

2. When the ship lands (1959), will I be playing the 1959 game year, or will the landing sequence play (if I rmember to insert my disk) as soon as the year turns over? (As you can tell, this is a pretty rare occurence in my limited experience.) (Obviously, this looms large win determining when one's "final moves" are made.

3. I was considering a Manhattan Project build timed to occur between the last AI move and the AC landing. Is this feasible? RAH advises against based on the AI Cheat Factor, which I admit has burned me heavily in the past. It's only 25 points, but if I'm maximizing this is still an option.

4. I've got maybe 6 or 8 engineers running around, mostly cleaning up pollution at this point. Assuming I get some good WLTPD action going, this could be insufficient. Do I buy some mass transit, build more engineers, or is there some other way to deal with pollution that I've missed? (Keep in mind, this is the first time ever that I've had more than one of my own [i.e., not captured from AI] cities reach a pop over 12.)

5. Is it true that GP are meaningless in terms of my score? If so, I should clearly try to spend it (virtually) all on/before my last turn, cranking luxuries to the max. Correct?

6. Another thought is to send out spies to attempt capture of AI cities containing wonders on my last turn. This means cranking out some money, possibly at the expense of WLTPD in some cities. Fool's mission or clever ploy?

...and on and on. Really starting to digress now, and gotta get back to work.

Have a blast with the 1800 save and be sure to post your results in a manner designed to gently let me know just how much I still have to learn.

See you in April -- tanned, rested, and ready!
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                So long, and thanks for all the fish...
                Nice to see a man with a taste for fine literature! I think Apolyton can be viewed as a kind of Hitchhiker's Guide to Civ. Now all we need to do is arrange for a "Don't Panic" banner to appear on every page, in large comforting letters...

Comment

I make it a policy to send out all my exploration units equipped with a big, fluffy towel...

Comment

Have a great trip Jrabbit... We will miss you at our normal Friday night drinking fests
                    Keep on Civin'
                    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Hmm? "Drinking fests"?

Oh, you must mean the weekly meeting of our Strategic Gaming Society!!!

I'll miss you guys too.
                      ...and the snow
                      ...and the wind
                      ...and the cold
                      ...and my job.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                        Oh, you must mean the weekly meeting of our Strategic Gaming Society!!!
                        Yeah... Strategic Gaming Society... That's the ticket

Just be around a TV on Friday night so you can watch SIU and Illinois advance... I hope...
                        Keep on Civin'

Comment

• I have one question: why did someone who is friends with Ming and rah need any Civ2 advice from me?

Comment

• Originally posted by Campo
                            I have one question: why did someone who is friends with Ming and rah need any Civ2 advice from me?
                            Not really that strange. Our strategic meeting usually are more dominated by the entertaining. And those strats that we might get around to discussing are latter fogged in memory due to the entertaining. Precise cohesive thoughts are sometimes lacking, again, due to the entertaining.
                            And Finally, while we do offer him considerable advice, it's always good to check out others opinions. As much as we'd hate to admit, we're not always right. (again, due to the entertaining)

RAH
                            If it was me asking advice, I would be slightly suspect of any advice Ming gave me, since we compete at times.
                            Sometimes he can be an untrustworthy little bogger.
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• rah - sorry if this is a thread jack, but what are RAH rules?

Comment

• Hmmm... somebody asked the same question in the Xin Yu interview thread:

In that thread, this link was provided by Cold Wizard.

Between the two discussions, it should answer your question
                                Keep on Civin'

Comment

Working...
                                X