What is your LEAST favorite special?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your LEAST favorite special?

Shameless imitation of Julius's "what is your favorite special" thread.

For me, fish has to be my least favorite. If I build a city with a fish in its radius, I know I'm going to be spending millenia moving new citizens off that fish square. Each time the city grows, the AI will put the new worker on the highest-food square it can find. Since I rarely irrigate, and I'll build cities on top of other high-food specials, the highest-food square is always the fish. I'd much rather have less food and more production, so I have to move the new worker manually to a different square. If I forget to move the new worker, the city may grow into disorder before it can build a settler.

Those worthless gems!
    I see the world through bloodshot eyes
    Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

Comment

My least favorite are the ones I have to make my Settlers work on to get right. Corn, when I really want Silk and Pheasant when I really want Buffalo. Iron is also annoying since you can't utilize it until your city grows big enough to withstand the loss of food or you terraform it to Wine.

Comment

I can fully agree with you, DaveV!! One more thing annoying me about fish is, they provide less production and more food than is good for a size1 or size2 city. That`s because if you don't micromanage the worked squares, the production of needed martial law units / the new settler will take longer than the filling of the foodbox. The city will revolt because of that. As you said, annoying micromanagement is the only way to prevent riots.
        I don't like fruit, either. (uhm, in the game, I mean )

Comment

if you ever play double production, Coal becomes the most worthless special. It starts equal to a forset but is doesn't improve with monarchy.

Comment

Yes the stupid fish and iron.
            "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
            "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
            "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

gems and I think it is peat. whatever else is in the jungle/swamp. bananas seem worthwhile for a jungle. but I chop it down anyways. I don't care for saving the rainforest.

Comment

Dissident Agressor- about the peat.....it is the only four shield tile that produces food.....quite useful...but hey, if you don't like that sort of thing......

Comment

what terrain is it in?
                  I prefer high food over production. as long as the square has 1 prod (shield grass/plains) I'm happy. facts/ hoov dam/ and man plants improve that to a respectable level. I usually have hills to improve that more.

Comment

quote:

<font size=1>Originally posted by suas333 on 12-05-2000 02:54 PM</font>
                    if you ever play double production, Coal becomes the most worthless special. It starts equal to a forset but is doesn't improve with monarchy.

true, true suas, coal is worthless......btw iron is the best special you can start with. build a city on the top - you get one "extra" food, and as long as you don´t get a 2nd city you can push out setts without disbanding the city even on size 1...not to mention other units later on and a 200% defence bonus for your capital (and wonders) up there.

fish, yeah it´s fish....simple....it smells funny

------------------
                    mankind made alcohol, god made weed.....whom do you trust?

[This message has been edited by Ming (edited December 10, 2000).]
                    weird god, EUROPA

Comment

Ivory, because it's usually surrounded by useless glacier tiles.

Same reasoning goes for peat. Takes too long to transform the surrounding swamplands into something useful.

Comment

I would go with DaveV's fish. It really is too much of a pain to take your workers off the fish tile every other turn, and make them work something useful....
                        We're back!
                        http://www.civgaming.net/forums

Comment

What's ivory? Is that the goofy walrus/seal? If so, it's a no-brainer. Whoever builds around them in the first place???

------------------
                          Frodo lives!
                          Frodo lives!

Comment

In a double production game, an arctic coast can be quite potent. Get a whale, the ivory that no one likes and or a fur or oil tile, and you have quite a productive city.

Comment

Arctic oil. Hard enough to survive in that region at 1X without having to consider an all production special.
                              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                              X