The most useful unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most useful unit

I think the most useful unit in CivII in bar far the diplomat/Spy. I use it the investigate cities, steal tech, and incite revolts. There is no other unit that comes close to this one in importance for me, what your favorite unit?

------------------
    MasterBob,
    Master of all Bobs,
    Webmaster---Come to the Cviworld UBB forums at Civworld Forums

If you do not go the wise way of the fish, you shall slowly go the way of the buffalo.

favorite or most important.... there is a difference.....

i like the dip as they are easily the most powerful unit in the early game..... replaced obviously with the spy.....

Caravans hold more importance to me as i play no city bribe and although dips can steal techs ,, they don't give uyou trade or science and they don't give you cash either
    Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

I also think that caravans are the "all around" best unit. Although if you are in a bribing game dips/spies are a must!!
      Apolyton Empress
      "Tongue tied and twisted, just and earth bound misfit..."

"Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative" --found on a bathroom wall

Comment

1.settler
        2.caravan
        3.diplomat
        4.veteran defender

actually i just wanted to try this sig

------------------
        In a MP game I only care about getting a good ally. Nothing else is as important.....Xin Yu

The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

1. Settler of course (you can't play without that)
          2. Howitzer (I'm a conventional warfare guy, I prefer these over dips/spies)
          3. Transport ships (got to get the howies over there)
          4. everything else

Comment

I totally disagree with howies as a favourite unit. In both SP and MP I virtually never get to use howies. In SP if I want to conquer the world I will have done it way before howies, if I want to land on AC I will only use them minimally, if I'm playing OCC I will proabably only use them a few times.

I would say my favourite unit for MP is pikemen, for SP knights and for OCC caravans.

Graag

------------------
            You should never smoke in pyjamas, you could start a fire and burn your face
            I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
            Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

My favorite unit is eiter the knight, bomber, or tank. But except for the knight, they're not the most effective.

Baring settlers and engineers, the most powerful unit is the caravans. You're industrial power will increase one whole order of magnitude if caravans are properly utilized. Example: I had twenty five cities in an MP game, a rival had 35 to 40. But I consistantly outproduced him in our 'Great War' [we basicly attacked and counterattack, and I, with simply more industry, out muscled him] because I had put factories and other smoke belchers in 90% of my cities [I'd build on 'em for a turn or two them buy the improvement, since I had the dough to do it], and that allowed me to produce planes and the line at one per turn, which is a distinct advantage in an open field war.

The next most powerful unit is the spy/diplomat, of course. Aside from stealing cities, the all powerful spy can lead an army threw any country, since they have no-zone control, and then you can set your next closest unit on the spy. Also, closing the gap technologically is quite easy with a spy. The trap is you get too tech hungry too quick, you'll stymie you scientific efforts. You can steal as much tech as you want, but building infastructure takes time. I usually say build universities and, if that late in the game, computer labs in your major trade cities before stealing a whole bunch of techs.

The third most powerful unit in the game is the knight. Against the unwalled, it is a medival blitzkreig. I love this unit, for it is a vital part of the ancient game, which is most favorite part of Civ2 anyhow. Also good on the defence, you put this unit, along with a pikemen, on a fortified mountain, and NO BODY is going to get your guys off.

And the fourth most powerful unit is the warrior. Yes, laugh, but this tiny, puny unit is the foundation of happiness control in the ancient monarchies. Also, 20 of these turns into 20 musketteers if you build Leo's...

Fifth most powerful? Have to get back to you on this one...

------------------
              "Beggars should not be choosers."
              "Terror is the candy of devils."
              "If it was to be, then get over it. If it was not to be, then stop *****ing."

Sergeant Sheets: Executive Deputy Administrative Consultant and Vice-Moderator.
              My AIM name is sargesheets
              My ICQ number is 53791758
              My homepage is [URL=http://homes.arealcity.com/centurionamericana/mainpage.html

Free Stewart Spink and YYYH!
              WE SHALL NEVER FORGET!

"One is never too old to die young." Sgt. Sheets
              FREE YYYH and Stewart Spink
              We shall never forget!!

Comment

Sarge .... i forgot about the marial law warrior good to see someone is thinking this morning lol

------------------
                Destroy or be Destroyed.
                Conquer or be Conquered.
                Strategy overcomes any odds.
                Hit first,fast,hit last.
                I am not a warmonger, i am just aggressively forcefull.

icq 30200920

Comment

Favorite/Most Important Units: Dips/Spies and Caravans. Need not say anymore.

-----------------
                  "In short dips and caravans are the two units necessary for survival in all civ games." - War4ever
                  [This message has been edited by Steve Clark (edited February 10, 2000).]

Comment

Will everyone stop bloody quoting everyone else in their signiature damnit.

Graag

-----------------
                    "Need not say anymore." - Steve Clark
                    I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
                    Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

how do u change your sig, btw?

HOWIES RULE THZE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      (together with mech infantry)

------------------
                      ThermiteB(that's me!) RLZ like HELL!!!!!!!!!!
                      "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                      "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Graag you wrote that so someone would put you in their sig.

Just checking my sig.

Dang why didn't my new sig work?
                        [This message has been edited by crowatbitemedotcom (edited February 10, 2000).]
                        AH has shrink shop open, and if you want advice from an Aussie who thinks he's a horse that likes having a gay Greek general riding his backside then that's still available. - Lancer

Comment

Blah... Blah... Blah...
                          Settler/Engineer, Diplo/Spy, caravan/freight... Blah... Blah.. Blah...

Yes, these three/six are the most important, and you can't live without them.

But I vote for the Vet Pikeman after that.
                          Having vet pikeman means that you can defend yourself against anything for a while. Even as new advances bring stronger units, a vet pikeman fortified in a good defensive position will still hold it's own. Nothing better than watching vet dragoons or calvary die trying to dislodge a vet pikeman in a fortress on a mountain in a key position. And in a city, behind walls, built on defensive terrain, you have nothing to fear from the hordes of crusaders...
                          Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

hm... Ming .... you know all about that.... my crappy cannons couldn't dislodge you from your little perch

Comment

Besides what Ming said... Nuke

I think you know what
                              I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

Working...
                              X