OCC and the ToT fantasy game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCC and the ToT fantasy game

I would greatly appreciate it if some of the OCC experts would try winning OCC in the ToT fantasy world, and report on their efforts. I suspect this is either a lot easier or a lot harder, but cannot begin to guess which.

I strongly suggest playing as Stygians or Merfolk to get the largest offensive advantage. (Goblins might have a good chance as well.) One could also try for all-out defense (and the research win), playing Elves.

Differences in the tech tree will have an unknown effect.

The ability to go for a research win (Hanging from Yggdrasil 8) might make the game easier.

Having your opponents spread out over four maps may make things harder.

It may be harder to defend your one city, since the other AIs can come from the other three maps and show up right next to you.

Having one city will make it a lot harder to get dragons. (You cannot build dragons until you find one and kill it. The easiest way to kill a barbarian dragon is to attack it after it has become wounded while attacking your city. The fewer cities you have, the less likely you will catch a dragon.) If the other tribes get dragons first and use them against you, you may well be toast.

Having one city will also make it harder to ally with dwarves.

That one city could also be at great risk early in the game from the occasional barbarian kraken.

Having one city makes sorcerors much less valuable, and they seem otherwise to be the key to gaining an early advantage.

- toby

------------------
    toby robison
    criticalpaths@mindspring.com
    toby robison

toby - I have ToT on order (if I would have given them the correct account number I would have it by now) and I will give OCC a go on the Fantasy map. I have messed around on the Midgard scenario (in MGE) a little bit so I might not be completely lost...
    Be the bid!

Comment

Oh great, more people saying stuff like Stygians, Merfolk, Yggdrasil...

Comment

Hey - I already knew about all that Yggdrasil stuff from Norse mythology! I even tried to learn old Norse at one point in time - bought an old text book where Tolkein edited the grammar section.
        Be the bid!

Comment

I'm not familiar with Norse. I like the part that when a hero dies he sees Odin's concubine riding a flying horse and then he is picked to fight for Odin in the last battle and get killed again.

Comment

Sten, do you know the story of the the Hildiridarsons?

AU
            Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep? [--Inspiration of Blade Runner]

"> > Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the reader who
            >doesn't get it."--don't know.

Comment

Xin - you have to respect their love of battle!

uhhhh, I think I'm a little rusty and all of my Norse books are at home so I can't make stuff up...

Hildiridarsons... did that have something to do with the dwarven craftsmen??

Be the bid!

Comment

BTW - I thought Carolus Rex tried an OCC in ToT; CR - how did it go???
                Be the bid!

Comment

Sten,

I just wanted to know more about the strange tale...guess they are part of Egil's Saga. Just did a search on the Hildiridarson's and found that the brothers, Harek and Hraerek, were involved in a deception concerning the King of Norway, Harald, in 800's. About all I know is they were both treacherous and ugly...so ugly that Ketil Trout defeated them by throwing up on them or something (I was curious about it as this is not a good epitaph.) Wish I could find the tale and say more or know more.
                  http://www.kettlenet.demon.co.uk/ket...g/egilsaga.htm

Oh, concerning ToT,wish I'd gotten it. I love fantasy and lore--does it use V2.42 engine?

I have been playing OCC on my new MPG and it is much harder than V2.42...but I guess this is not news.

AU

Comment

AU - When you finish your OCC game (in MPG)see if you can assess how many more turns it takes than in 2.42. In the large world conquest game against the AI (in MP), I estimate about an extra 15 - 20. This is mainly due to the hostile AI attitude towards the human player long before hitting the top of the PowerGraph. In addition, the AI seems to bribe cities more often.

(Watched "The Rock" the other night - about one of your Vet Marines that turned nasty)
                    --------
                    Scouse Git (2)
                    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Funny SG(2), I just saw that movie the other day for the first time. I didn't know the title but the story seemed familiar. One of your distinguished actors played the part of an escaped 'rock' inmate. There were a few things I didn't like about the movie that I suspect we would be in agree on, but it had some entertainment value.

I will confess that when you said you saw the 'Rock', I immediately thought of the 'smack down' wrestin' episode involving the WWF (World Wrestling Federation) character called 'The Rock' (very popular in the states right now) and the ex-borg female called Seven of Nine on the Star Trek spinoff, Voyager. This was billed as a real spectacle in these parts.... I wanted to see the episode but missed it due to a Circus in town on Sunday (Does the Cirque du Soleil troupe in England? I loved it! It's a Canadian based circus.)

I'll check out the turn difference in MPG OCC from Standard OCC. But when you say "large world conquest game in MP," is that a reference to a particular position or scenario or are you talking about a large map? I'm a bit unfamiliar with all the new possibilities in MPG.

So far, I think turn difference is bigger than 15 turns as not only do I lack tribute and gifts in MPG, but I can barely make any science trades early on and later. And I only play on a small map 'less I give AI a reason to stand haughtily over me. Also, I have a hard time getting Copernicus before the AI and definately am reluctant to give away science as a consequence. I wouldn't be surprised if the AI prioritizes building Copernicus more so in MPG than V2.42--just a hunch.

Later SG(2)--Oh what was SG[1]'s lament concerning hot seat--another MPG variant I guess?

AU

Comment

Yup, Aurelius.
                        SG(2) treated himself to MP (we don't seem to be able to get the Gold version in the UK) and we have been playing hot seat - this is sort of multiplayer, but only using the one computer - when we take it in turns to move our units.
                        Wouldn't you lament big time if your Great Wall transmogrified into a pachyderm?

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
                        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Not very good...

http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum29/H...tml?date=11:12

This was with the original game.

Carolus

Comment

I would greatly appreciate it if some of the OCC experts would try winning OCC in the ToT fantasy world, and report on their efforts. I suspect this is either a lot easier or a lot harder, but cannot begin to guess which.
                            I strongly suggest playing as Stygians or Merfolk to get the largest offensive advantage. (Goblins might have a good chance as well.) One could also try for all-out defense (and the research win), playing Elves.

Differences in the tech tree will have an unknown effect.

The ability to go for a research win (Hanging from Yggdrasil 8) might make the game easier.

Having your opponents spread out over four maps may make things harder.

It may be harder to defend your one city, since the other AIs can come from the other three maps and show up right next to you.

Having one city will make it a lot harder to get dragons. (You cannot build dragons until you find one and kill it. The easiest way to kill a barbarian dragon is to attack it after it has become wounded while attacking your city. The fewer cities you have, the less likely you will catch a dragon.) If the other tribes get dragons first and use them against you, you may well be toast.

Having one city will also make it harder to ally with dwarves.

That one city could also be at great risk early in the game from the occasional barbarian kraken.

Having one city makes sorcerors much less valuable, and they seem otherwise to be the key to gaining an early advantage.

DOES THE ABOVE SOUND FAMILIAR? IT'S THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD!

TOPIC, TOPIC, TOPIC!

Start another thread for your Norse reminiscences, if you wish...

Tnx for listening...

- toby

------------------
                            toby robison

------------------
                            toby robison
                            toby robison

Comment

C'mon Toby, don't be so hard on people...

Your thread has sparked off a lot of interest, why not wait and see what happens? I'm not that familiar with the Fantasy game, always trying to interpret the "new" techs and wonders in good ol' civ terms...

Fantasy or not, civ on!

Carolus

Comment

Working...
                              X