Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best defense against cavalry?

A propos the discussion in another thread, see

, what would you suggest as a proper defense against cavalry?

Will riflemen be enough (vet or non-vet; depending on terrain type etc)?

Carolus

Unless you have walls (and if you're playing against other people, they may sabotage them anyway), I think you're best off building Cannons or Cavalry as offensive defenders.

I find Riflemen iffy as defenders against Cavalry. Vet rifles on good terrain excepted, of course.
    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Carolus - fortified riflemen against similarly experienced cavalry can be expected to lose on open ground (6:8), win on forest, river, or swamp (9:8), and win big on better defensive terrain (12:8 on hills, 18:8 on mountains, etc.). So put those engineers to work...

Comment

Consequence (of the figures given by Dave):
        Build Alpine instead (well worth 10 more shields)
        Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Or switch to a new alliance and perhaps you won't have to defend (unless against your former allies )
          "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

yes, always a good idea.

Best to use chokepoints outside of your cities on good terrain, combined with mobile response units.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Spies - for bribing and sabotaging purposes.
              There are no silly questions - only silly answers
              <a href="http://www.sethos.gmxhome.de">Strategy Guide</a>

Comment

I agree with STYOM - kill them before they can even get close to posing a threat to your units or cities. Take the fight to their cavalry with your own and rout them!
                It's always fun to put expendable units in the front line and save your decent troops to hit them on the counter once they've wiped out the cannon fodder but don't have enough moves to get to you.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveV
                  Carolus - fortified riflemen against similarly experienced cavalry can be expected to lose on open ground (6:8), win on forest, river, or swamp (9:8), and win big on better defensive terrain (12:8 on hills, 18:8 on mountains, etc.). So put those engineers to work...
                  I guess all that global warming we've had isn't all bad then...

Carolus

Comment

Working...
                  X