• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does anybody play 1 x 1 deity?

Whats really so great about 1 x 1 deity ? I dont get it
    8 Time Game League Champion!
    Oh, Its True, Its Dang True!

if you want a game now we could start a 3 way with deity dude, icq me if you want

Comment

i think many view it as the true civ for SP as the other levels are so easy to beat.....its just a carry over from our sp days
      Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

I have heard this argument for traditionalists before. Hell I played the greatest single player, 1 x 1 deity game with raging hordes that mankind has ever, and will ever see.
        pop-300,000,000(max recorded level of civnet)
        100+ advanced techs
        125 citys (max limit of civ net)
        entire ground of a large earth board covered, 1 worker per square
        every square irrigated and railroaded all this done before cheat, rules. txt and engineers! also with the real rule for Bachs (1 cont only)
        took me 400 hours of play over a year
        But, there is a reason we all drive cars instead of horse and buggys ( offense indeed intended to the backward quacker bafoon element of this forem, and by the by, get thoose damn things off the Pennsylvania roads)
        Its just better in so many ways even though we drove buggys for centuries and cars for merely 100 years.
        So arguing that its traditional, and thats why we do it holds no water at anything, let alone civ.
        Baseball use to be dominated by a midget because his strike zone was unfair. But baseball changed with the times and created minimum strike zones which did away with the midget.( no offense intended here as it is a physical thing not a lifestyle choice and I had sex with a "short girl" once in Vegas, Hi Andrea, Its Gary from San Diego if your a civ forem reader)

Comment

Well, sh!t eh?

I play 1x deity and I love it. No argument neded.
          "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
          *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

You see Strat, there are two basic approaches to civ.

You can approach it mechanistically whereby you play the math to perfection;

OR,

You can approach it in an imaginative &/or role-playing way where you live the implulses of civ.

The latter may include elements of the former but it is not the obsession. I don't want fair starts. I love luck. I'm not interseted in points. I love big meandering MP games that never has a certain winner no matter how it looks at various stages of the game to the math inclined.
            "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
            *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

the thing one needs to remember is that players play with their group of friends....if there was only one setting there would be more games out there, but with many pockets of players playing 'their' settings, the games are alot more scarce.

this forum is not much of a supporter of x2x2 king...pure and simple....whereas the zone really doesn't support x1x1 deity raging....

so were at an impasse....

as for your sp achievements, well done, all i can say is all the diehard vets have done something similar in their sp days too
              Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

The group I play with plays 2x1x Deity... it works for us
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

why 1x1x deity? its the game with highest challenge. to build up without care of unhappiness and irrigation is easy. but to build up a good republic in diety 1x1x is skill.

so in germany we love 1x1x deity in mp-games.
                  its the little difference that makes it

Comment

Lets see, war and deity made exactly no sense what so ever and offered no exact reason why 1 x 1 deity is better then 2 x 2 king .
                    And towards Jes, building a huge civ in 1 x 1 deity is just not a challenge. It is simply a race to happy wonders, and it is a race between turtles and not rabits. In the game we played recently, 2 hours of simultanious play and I dont even have trade yet where as in 2 x 2 king I would have ironclads already, we had one battle in the first 2 hours, a ship on ship battle. You can build citys with inpunity. the only competion is provided by the computer and these restrictions are known and NEVER change. You remove these restrictions, and on a board like we played, 2 x 2 king, you have 0 chance of beating me, nobody will unless 3 of thier first 4 huts are citys. On 1 x 1 deity, my capabilities are severly restricted so it is much, much easier for you to build a big civ. When you have to deal with me, it is by far harder because I am creative and adapt to the game. 1 x 1 deity effectively removed me from interfereing with you building a civ.
                    Happiness problems, despite what people posted, are VERY relivant in 2 x 2 king. The only difference is, that instead of preventing your citys from revolting, you work to keep them celebrating, and it does not matter your government, celebrating in monarchy (which I have never seen anyone else do other then me) or in fundy (again, I celebrate easily in fundy) or rep. or democracy and with this celebrations allows greater trade route payoffs, which means a tech a turn, and way more gold to buy units with and this means your capabilities are NOT restricted, they continuously expand.
                    AND IF IT WERE SO EASY TO PLAY 2 X 2 KING, JES, YOU WOULD HAVE A MUCH BETTER RECORDED VERSE ME THEN YOU DO!(No offense intended, just my belief that thoose that played 2 x 2 king and then went to 1 x 1 deity ONLY do so to be more competitive)

Comment

"...you have 0 chance of beating me, nobody will unless 3 of thier first 4 huts are citys..."

Wow, you must be amazing.........

Comment

"No, I am better then that!"
                        (can anybody name the movie that quote is from?)

Comment

Originally posted by StrategicKingMi
                          celebrating in monarchy (which I have never seen anyone else do other then me)
                          You should have joined our 1x1x Deity game then

(Thanks to Deity for reminding me me though )

But I agree 1x1x Deity is too much about happy wonders.
                          But not more then island games are about naval wonders.

Comment

Another classic... My style of play isn't condusive to those settings, so those settings and the people that play those settings must suck...

Yawn...
                            Keep on Civin'
                            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

There is no style of play in 1 x 1 deity, thats just the point. You must go monarchy first or you will have logistical problems that eliminate any benifits gained.
                              You must keep units inside citys to prevent revolt.
                              In 2 x 2 king, you can go for republic or monarchy, you make the decision instead of the computer dictating it to you.
                              In 2 x 2 king You can leave citys un garrisioned as u choose, again, not the computer making you.
                              And yes, of course magelleons and lighthouse on island board, any move prod level are unfair. I can play with out them.
                              Besides, this is not about 2 x 2 king, it is why 1 x 1 deity is such a great way to play.

Comment

Working...
                              X