Help with firewall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ the good doctor...ming has more enemies than rival gang members
    Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

To tell the truth virus scanners that run all the time and update themselves don't take up that many resources now..........my dislike goes back to when they made everything run so slowwwww.

I still think I can notice them running though, and it bugs me. Since I am reasonably careful anyway a permanent checker isn't necessary.......I think they are mainly for people who are prone to do something inadvisable, or for people who make lots of enemies.

Comment

Spike my external IP address is 66.177.177.28 I've set my internal IP address on my computer as static at 192.168.1.103. On the port forwarding screen I've had external ports 4000-5000 forwarded to my internal IP. Protocol TCP was check marked for those ports. For trigger port range and incoming port range I put 4000-5000 does that sound right? SHould this work now?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
          Use a second computer Eyes.
          He only uses his second computer for gaming
          The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Yeah give it a go.......sounds fine, though you only need 4993 not the entire range 4000-5000.

Comment

Also when I give my IP for them to connect do I use the external or internal IP?

Comment

External.

Part of the function of the router is that your internal IP is hidden.......all packets look to the world that they came from your external IP. Since inbound connections to your router are prohibited due the firewall it is a nice setup.

This also explains why you can play but not host without the port redirection........when the connection is made outbound your router knows where the packets originated from (before it made it look like they came from the router's IP) and can hence send back any necessary info the other way. But when you host the router just receives some info, and even if it doesn't block it it has no idea where to send it.

Comment

Go on ICQ spike.

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by MalevolentLight
                      Thanks for the help.
                      So Pandora and the gift of curiosity was sent to earth. Once there, the messenger gods Iris and Mercury brought to Pandora a large box. Pandora was asked to watch it until they returned and warned sternly against opening the box under any circumstances.

Hehe, happy civing.

Comment

Working...
                      X