• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes, in civ i can pound the AI in SP, unlike in RTS
    Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Well the Civ AI seemed fearsome at one point (albeit a long long time ago). It's the same with any game, once you get the basics down the AI can be mashed with ease.

Comment

i never did get the hang of StarCraft despite many hours of trying, but i can manage AoE2 so far (easiest level was too easy)
        Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Try the Metaserver

Originally posted by deity
          I just gave Civ3 another go after a year and lasted 30 mins. I find it so irritating.

At least it ran properly on my latest PC. A year ago it was unplayable on the old PIII.

Where do you go to find players to set up a freeciv game?

Here?
          While you can set up your own private MP games the easiest way to do Freeciv MP is via the Metaserver. Choose "join game" from the start menu and select the "Metaserver"-tab. After the update you'll see a list of the games in progress or waiting for players. Just join one of the games in the setup phase. (be sure to check the version, 1.14 in the current case!) and wait for other players to show up. Hey, people attend to attract people.

Or use this forum to snag a few more...
          Last edited by CapTVK; February 13, 2003, 16:19.
          Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

is there lag problems with free civ? i remember there being little diplomacy ?
            Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by War4ever
              is there lag problems with free civ? i remember there being little diplomacy ?
              Freeciv is optimized for lag problems thanks to the server-client model. A poor connection won't affect the game speed too much because the client interface is seperated from the server. Whatever the connection, the games keeps on running. But lag can't be eliminated completely when you allow game observers to view the game but not participate (aka "dead players").

As for the aspects of diplomacy, there is diplomacy in the game. In MP but not in SP (at least not just yet). You can make peace/war and offer alliances etc..with human players in MP but not with the AI (which basically hates your guts and will go to war once it sees a good opportunity).

Here's a screenshot of the diplo interface in the windows client:
              Attached Files
              Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Comment

I like the idea of being able to watch games, both whilst they're playing and afterwards if I understood what you said earlier. It is my experience that strategies in games where there are copious amounts of replays of good players to watch progress/evolve much quicker than when this is not the case.

Comment

Dr Spike

You should check out the civserver then. All recorded MP games are stored there.

And my own current game? Well, i'm in the process of getting my ass kicked by someone from Italy.

Players:9 Min players:5 Max players:9
                  Timeout:40 Year: 3300 BC
                  NO: NAME: HOST:
                  ----------------------------------------
                  0 CapTVK xs195-241-199-82.dial.tiscali.nl
                  1 Hammurabi port-212-202-187-195.reverse.qdsl-home.de
                  2 Fredo parrothead.nrlssc.navy.mil
                  3 Livia ASt-Lambert-104-1-2-68.abo.wanadoo.fr
                  4 Akel stal-gw.stallion.ee
                  5 Jan (tm) pD95870D0.dip.t-dialin.net
                  6 late_joiner_join_here AToulouse-105-1-10-175.abo.wanadoo.fr
                  7 ai ---.---.---.---
                  8 tv ---.---.---.---

I'll post the link once the game is finished, won't be long now...

Comment

This is the link, at the moment it's still running:

Comment

Fredo parrothead.nrlssc.navy.mil

Who does he think he is!!
                      "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
                      *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Isn't imitation a sign of flattery?
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The game is finished now, you can now review the game. The gamelog provides exact details:

Oh well, 16 points is better than nothing.

Comment

i thought deity was the only parrot......
                            Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Working...
                            X