This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by srholmes
    This morning I received an email saying they were giving everyone 25% of their monthly fee back for March, but all I really wanted was access. I am sure it would be cheaper for them to have free dial-up backup than lose $15 a month.
    Yes, the 25% rebate came about as a result of Telstra being bombarded with complaints. It started after the huge January outage. And it only happened because of the volume of complaints. Left to themselves, Telstra would simply have, typically, ignored a trickle of complaints.

I assume you're using the Telstra launch pad? I was constantly losing my connection - as against the system being down - through the Telstra launch pad. I haven't had a connection problem - or a system problem - for weeks now with the custom-built launcher I installed. Telstra acknowledges problems with its launch pad but don't appear to be doing anything about it. Which is typical. There are custom launchers available for both Mac and PC. It might be worth your while checking out one of them.

The biggest problem with the Telstra launcher is that it operates on a "heartbeat" system. A message is sent to your computer every (from memory) 5 minutes. If it doesn't get a response, you lose your connection. Telstra is the only broadband supplier to use this system. The custom-built launchers - the Mac one anyway - circumvent this problem.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperSneak
      Is that how whining is spelled in Australia?
      Interesting one, this one. Arguably there should be an "e" in it - whingeing - but I don't think there's a definitive spelling. To whinge is to grizzle.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• In such cases both are usually allowed. I would spell it 'whingeing' though.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperSneak
          Is that how whining is spelled in Australia?
          Is that how spelt is spelt in America?

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike
            In such cases both are usually allowed. I would spell it 'whingeing' though.
            Yes, the "e" softens the "g".

Comment

• Finbar, where did you get your custom-built launcher from?

I am using the Telstra one and it does often drop out, or also say that it has when it hasn't. Thanks to you explanation I now understand why.

Comment

In such cases both are usually allowed. I would spell it 'whingeing' though.
                It just doesn't look right to me when spelt with an 'e'. Both are allowed, according to Websters dictionary, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by trev
                  We had sufficient players for a game tonight but some stuff about Mrs Horse having a birthday tomorrow was enough to make Mr Horse retire.

So no game unfortunately and another wasted night
                  Jeez, you could have played without me.

I'm beginning to think the telecoms infrastructure down here in Canberra must be superb. I use a dial up and noone complains much about lag when I host.

Its probably a side benefit of living in a city which hosts government agencies like Defence that need state of the art communications infrastructure. We're on the same grid.
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• Why would we start yet another game with a combination of players who would never be able to finish the game?

You should have posted you couldn't play
                    "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
                    *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Finbar, where did you get your custom-built launcher from?
                      Are you Mac or PC? If Mac, I can give you a link to the launcher. If PC, I'll find one for you.

Edit. Here's a link to a page that will tell you all about how to solve the problem. If you're on a Mac, it's the "Launcher" application that I installed.

Another edit. And here's a link to where you can download the launchers for both Mac and PC. Look in the right hand column, under "Inside BigPond Broadband", under "Login Clients (Cable)".

I am using the Telstra one and it does often drop out, or also say that it has when it hasn't. Thanks to you explanation I now understand why.
                      I would get a dozen messages a day telling me I'd lost connection when I hadn't. Then, usually during Civ games, I would lose connection. Because, as I discovered, of the "heartbeat" thing. None of this happens with the custom-built launcher.
                      Last edited by finbar; March 8, 2003, 05:18.

Comment

It just doesn't look right to me when spelt with an 'e'. Both are allowed, according to Websters dictionary, though.
                        Funnily enough, I think it looks better with an "e". I always think it must sound like "winging" minus the "e". But, as you say, it's optional.

Comment

• Glad to see some sense on the 'e' useage front.

Btw don't make the whole sentences hyperlinks, just the "here's" is neater IMO.

Comment

Btw don't make the whole sentences hyperlinks, just the "here's" is neater IMO.
                            Who asked you? I like blue ink.

Comment

• You can write your posts in blue if you want. Making the whole post a hyperlink to make it blue would be somewhat hamfisted.

Comment

• So am I to understand that I'm talking about the universally known word "whine", and you are talking about some word spelled "whing", which I am assuming is the Australian cousin of "whine"?
                                Life and death is a grave matter;
                                all things pass quickly away.
                                Each of you must be completely alert;
                                never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

Working...
                                X