No announcement yet.

Players wanted for multiplayer play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my job here is done, i havee set up a date, call me the matchmaker...

now i can try this game out with this dude
    Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Matchmaker......spammaker......horses for courses really.

Comment

are you being persnickety?

Comment

Peace! Peace!

*War turns his back*

DrSpike gets out knife......you know the rest.

Comment

gr.............. as AH would say, "you like to pick scabs don't you!"

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
              Yeah if it's advice on routing you need I can help you out. Essentially if you host from behind a router the IP address that you must pass to your opponent is that of the router itself.
              Well, actually router's normally have an IP of 192.168.1.1, which obviously people won't be able to connect to. You're talking about the IP address assigned by the ISP right?

I can get the IP by going to http://checkip.dyndns.org

Set the router to forward all packets arriving on the civ2 MP game port (which is 4993) to your machine. You will need to know the IP that the router has assigned your machine to do this. The configuration usually takes place via a simple web interface......you are looking for the port redirection/translation section or perhaps network address and port translation (NAPT).
              Hope that helps.
              Not really.. I don't think you read this thread before the 'who's dr spike?' part. I'm not trying to get Civ2 to work through my router. I'm trying to get MY game to work through the router. As a developer, it's hard to keep developing something that I cannot test, in this case it's multiplayer play over the internet. It works great over LAN (using the router) but I have yet to get internet play to work (Users cannot connect to me and I cannot connect to them).

From some reading I have done, I have learned what ports need to be forwarded in order for DirectPlay (what I'm using for multiplayer) games to work. They are:

47624 - 47624
              and
              2300 - 2400

I can enter the port range of 2300-2400 correctly but I'm having problems getting the 47624 port into the router forwarding setup. I think this is the problem that I'm having. What is the deal with the 47624 port and how do I set it up with the router? I have a LinkSys router btw.

Any help will be very much appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by neonext

Well, actually router's normally have an IP of 192.168.1.1, which obviously people won't be able to connect to. You're talking about the IP address assigned by the ISP right?
                Can't help you with the ports for your game. As for the quote above there is both an internal and an external IP for your router. The external one is assigned by your ISP, and may change depending on whether you have a static or dynamic IP. The IP you quote is the internal IP for your router. Whatever ports you need (and this I have no idea) you need to redirect data arriving on those ports from the external IP of the router to the internal IP of your machine on the LAN.

Of course the game will work on your LAN without setting this up.....in this case you only need internal IPs, and critically the host machine can talk directly to the client, obviating the need for port redirection. I hope that is clearer now.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                  Can't help you with the ports for your game. As for the quote above there is both an internal and an external IP for your router.
                  Sorry to be really picky about what you're saying, but..
                  No.. the router ONLY has ONE IP, which is what you use to connect to the router and change the settings.

The computers hooked up to router however have TWO, one internal (Starting with 192.168, different ending numbers based on which computer it is) and one external (assigned by ISP, all computers hooked up to the router share this external IP)

Whatever ports you need (and this I have no idea) you need to redirect data arriving on those ports from the external IP of the router to the internal IP of your machine on the LAN.
                  Why do you have no idea? I just told you! You're obviously not reading my posts, so thanks anyway but I guess I'll get help elsewhere..

Comment

Originally posted by neonext

Sorry to be really picky about what you're saying, but..
                    No.. the router ONLY has ONE IP, which is what you use to connect to the router and change the settings.
                    You are wrong, but whatever........good luck.

Comment

ok, fine i see what you're saying now, but still, you did keep ignoring me about the ports

Comment

Working...
                      X